Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
Ahnuld und Coke
    #4671832 - 09/16/05 10:24 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Just heard the Governator forbade sale of coca-cola beverages in schools in California to help prevent Teenage obesity. Great move, if you ask me. It's a step in the right direction. If parents aren't going to teach children to eat and drink healthy foods, then perhaps it's best that the gov't and schools step in and make healthy choices for the kids.
After all, children are our future.
Next, maybe we can work on the school lunches - from what I hear, those are the real disasters.

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
Re: Ahnuld und Coke [Re: SkorpivoMusterion]
    #4671880 - 09/16/05 10:35 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

They should make gym a solid hour of push ups, pull ups, sit ups and jogging for all kids up to middle school.

The kids will be sore as hell after doing push ups until they collapse, but at least it'll help them lose some fat and gain some muscle.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

InvisibleToolTroll
tourettic
Male User Gallery

Loc: N. Cack
    #4671911 - 09/16/05 10:44 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah, I totally agree with this ban. I mean, these are kids who are supposed to be concentrating on learning, and we are feeding them sugar and caffeine and ritalin... and these are still-developing bodies and brains. Children are our future, fer sure!

--------------------
"This whole idea that different is bad, that a change in consciousness is in itself harmful, is really one of the fundamental problems inherent in the drug war.” - Rick Doblin
my cactus collection
You vote with your dollars. Everyday. Vote responsibly.

Invisiblebukkake
Male

Loc: Classified
Re: Ahnuld und Coke [Re: ToolTroll]
    #4671939 - 09/16/05 10:51 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Next we should replace the school vending machines with fresh fruit.

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Loc: FL
Re: Ahnuld und Coke [Re: bukkake]
    #4673995 - 09/17/05 12:30 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

i feel the entire educational system's lunch and physical educational programs need a complete overhaul, most schools get their food premade by some big company thats jammed full of crap thats not good for you at all, whatever happened to fresh made salad, hamburgers, chicken.... and phys ed. was a joke when i was in HS, i cant imagine what its like now.... when i was on my way out they were thinking of giving kids the OPTION to take phys ed, not make them.... just allowing our next generation to get fatter than the previous in my eyes. not only is it extremely unhealthy, its also an eyesore, noone wants to look at an obese person. yeah we might be the most powerful nation at the moment but i can tell you if we dont change some things that will end due to too many fat people, how can you protect your people when you can barely speed walk???

--------------------

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Loc: FL
Re: Ahnuld und Coke [Re: LeftyBurnz]
    #4674000 - 09/17/05 12:32 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

also i forgot to add, that its sad when society not only allows you to get fat, but they also lead you to believe its OK. "oh dont worry timmy, youre not fat, youre just big boned"  :whatever:

--------------------

User Gallery

Re: Ahnuld und Coke [Re: LeftyBurnz]
    #4674300 - 09/17/05 02:16 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I agree on all those points. I would totally vote in favor of Ravus' suggestion of "a solid hour of push ups, pull ups, sit ups and jogging for all kids up to middle school." if it ever opted to come into legislation.
Our schools should be geared to help produce healthy children and teens that are stronger and smarter.

Ideally, this is a list of programs that a school should offer, or would offer if I were in charge of it:
Education:
English
Math
Science
Social Studies
Arts
[All basic courses]
Where my school system would greatly differ from most [public] schools is the following Mandatory programs:

Psychology
Ranging from the simple understanding of basic emotional intelligence to the complex intricacies of the farther reaches of human nature.
Instead of ?foreign language? being made mandatory as most [public] schools have, I would drop that into the optionable category, and replace the subject with basic psychology. What is more important, self-actualization, or learning how to say ?Where is the toilet?? in Spanish?

Personal Finance & Financial Literacy
Ranging from the basic guides and principles to simple money management to the more detailed and erudite guides of strategic investing principles and business fundamentals.
I think that in addition to whatever anybody wants to be, be it a fireman, actor, politician, chef, etc., they should also be an investor on the side, or at least be fortunate enough to have been equipped with knowledge of how to do so, if they ever change their mind. Sadly, financial literacy is NOT very high in the US.

Personal Fitness & Nutrition
This would be a combination of basic military-training - nothing fancy or sophisticated, just pure, simple, hard working exercises that build a strong core and strength.
This would be followed by the nutritional part of the program, where the students are served with high-quality, and healthy food for lunch. Meanwhile, they will be leniently lectured on the basics of proper dieting, as well as the science of nutrition and how their aptitudes, energy and bodies are affected by the various foods that are consumed.

This model of programming would be geared to produce healthier, smarter and stronger children and teens for our future generations. Plain and simple.

With the way the US Educational System is set up, it takes a very, very long time for even small things to undergo a solid change.
I don't blame the increasing number of parents that are deciding to send their children to private schools, at the expense of their own wallets, which are indendepently financed and have far much more mobility in terms of being able to be fluid with the tides of change.
Anybody who knows a thing or two about business fundamentals, probably knows that being stuck in a semi-fixed or slow-slow-changing state, is a sure way to commit suicide, so to speak. Change is always around the corner, and businesses that understand this, are usually the ones that remain in success.

--------------------

Edited by SkorpivoMusterion (09/17/05 02:27 PM)

OfflineMagicalMystery
turn off yourmind

Loc: Here, there and everywher...
    #4674626 - 09/17/05 04:24 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Arnold is the man for physical fitness.

--------------------

"Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by the love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest."
From the Declaration of the Continental Congress

"We can have peace and security only as long as we band together to preserve that most priceless possession, our inheritance of European blood."
Charles A. Lindbergh,"Aviation, Geography, and Race", Reader's Digest, Nov. 1939

"We must secure the existance of our people and a future for White children."
David Lane

Invisiblephreakyzen
My God is anAwesome God

Loc: Under the sea
    #4674739 - 09/17/05 04:55 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

While I agree that a ban is in the best interest of the children this statement scares me.

Quote:

then perhaps it's best that the gov't and schools step in and make healthy choices for the kids.

The less the government steps in the better. The government making healthy choices for you is what the drug war is all about.

You mention a ban of Coca-Cola beverages please tell me this means all sugary colas and not just Coca-Cola. Maybe Pepsi bought the gov a new mansion.

User Gallery

Re: Ahnuld und Coke [Re: phreakyzen]
    #4675168 - 09/17/05 07:35 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I agree that the Gov't shouldn't be choosing what's "healthy" for US, as in us adults. But I don't mind the Gov't making healthy choices for the kids.

--------------------

Invisiblephreakyzen
My God is anAwesome God

#4675220 - 09/17/05 08:02 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

The government making choices for kids is just preparing them to have choices made for them as adults. Why draw the line? Kids need help and adults need help. I think without the governments help in many aspects people would think more critically and be more careful(less lazy and fat). Our comfortable American lifestyles only require us to shovel food in our big pie holes while watching TV.

I think the schools should not sell foods that have no nutritional value. Plain and simple.

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
    #4675328 - 09/17/05 08:39 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I have no problem with the state government making decisions for affairs in public schools, funded by them. If the parents don't agree with the government's decisions in public schools, such as taking out sodas and pizza, then they can send their child to a private school.

Of course, ideally, the people of the state should vote on all major issues in public schools.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

Invisiblekrishnamurti
Stranger
Re: Ahnuld und Coke [Re: Ravus]
    #4676755 - 09/18/05 03:55 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

If the parents don't agree with the government's decisions in public schools, such as taking out sodas and pizza, then they can send their child to a private school.

most of the time a private school is going to be a Christian school, and i would rather we outlaw that shit. having a young mind brainwashed to a miserable life scares me more than taking a couple sips of soda pop.

but dont get me wrong about our public schools. i think our educational system needs a complete overhaul. we need to stop sucking the joy of life and individuality out of our youth.

--------------------
I'll see you down in Guantanamo Bay

Donate spores to FSRC or suffer the consequences!*

Wikipedia

Overgrow has been shut down :sad: check out www.icmag.com if you need MJ info

*consequences may or may not be suffered

OfflineHB
Male User Gallery

Re: Ahnuld und Coke [Re: krishnamurti]
    #4677419 - 09/18/05 11:38 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

as long as almost every commercial on TV and every billboard is for a processed food product, there will never be a decline in obesity or lack of disease ... nobody thinks about the fact that there really is no "High Fructose Corn Syrup plant" in nature to produce that highly addictive and carcinogenic chemical that can be found in almost all processed foods ..

and who would have thought that one day, naturally grown, nutritious food would cost more than foods that come from factories injected with unnatural preservatives and unnatural flavoring and so on ...

i mean ... we live in a society where billboards read "Now made with REAL CHICKEN!" ... holy god, what was everybody eating before?

McDonald's ... over 99 billion served ... what a scary thought ...

Invisiblephreakyzen
My God is anAwesome God

Re: Ahnuld und Coke [Re: HB]
    #4678077 - 09/18/05 03:37 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

i mean ... we live in a society where billboards read "Now made with REAL CHICKEN!" ... holy god, what was everybody eating before?

McDonald's ... over 99 billion served ... what a scary thought ...

"One Taste Worldwide"

Offlineblu3
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Re: Ahnuld und Coke [Re: bukkake]
    #4679521 - 09/18/05 09:26 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

bukkake said:
Next we should replace the school vending machines with fresh fruit.

I recently heard that they banned the use of vending machines in all elem. & middle school in texas and colorado except for the 30 min lunch periods.
They also banned all sugared cola drinks and require all elem. and middle school students to have at least 30 mins of physicial activity a day at school

It really is a huge problem and it seems to be getting worse.
They parents seem completely blind to the fact their child is overweight and could die from being so.

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
Re: Ahnuld und Coke [Re: krishnamurti]
    #4680902 - 09/19/05 03:32 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

krishnamurti said:
If the parents don't agree with the government's decisions in public schools, such as taking out sodas and pizza, then they can send their child to a private school.

most of the time a private school is going to be a Christian school, and i would rather we outlaw that shit. having a young mind brainwashed to a miserable life scares me more than taking a couple sips of soda pop.

I went to a Catholic high school. It wasn't the brainwashing factory people make it out to be(at least, no more than any public school). In fact, we were able to discuss and debate issues of faith in a much more open way than we could at a public school.

--------------------

OfflineMagicalMystery
turn off yourmind

Loc: Here, there and everywher...
Re: Ahnuld und Coke [Re: Silversoul]
    #4680933 - 09/19/05 03:56 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Yea, catholic schools were great. I was educated by nuns and I feel better for it. We had to give a 20 minute speech about "our religion". Some of the kids talked about Catholicism, others about Judaism or Protestant..um..ism. I discussed my agnosticism. It was pretty cool. We had a real small lunchroom with actual food. Lots of really good food. Our gym and our main school were seperate and kids would skip gym class and go get high. No effort was really made to track them down because who cares?

--------------------

"Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by the love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest."
From the Declaration of the Continental Congress

"We can have peace and security only as long as we band together to preserve that most priceless possession, our inheritance of European blood."
Charles A. Lindbergh,"Aviation, Geography, and Race", Reader's Digest, Nov. 1939

"We must secure the existance of our people and a future for White children."
David Lane

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom