Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinetokey666
Lamb of God
 User Gallery

Loc: Your Mom
fanning the incubator!!?!?
    #4671357 - 09/16/05 10:24 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Alrighty, I may have gone bonkers, but ever since I started fanning my incubator once a day, my colonization rate has almost tripled. I have been colonizing the same rice jars for over 3 weeks now and finally they are growing.

So I am guessing that this air transfer is helping. The jars are upside down without any tape. I guess the fresh oxygen is getting in and making them colonize faster.

Any thoughts to this? And what about contams?

-Tokey

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleThumpaCap
Beer Taster

Loc: Shroomwhere Out There
Re: fanning the incubator!!?!? [Re: tokey666]
    #4671468 - 09/16/05 10:53 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

a while back i heard of someone shooting welding 0 into their incubator and they had a growth spurt....  :thumbup:

:bongload:

--------------------
:bongload: Look into my heyes !! :bongload:

Offlinesoulsizzle
nobody f**kswith The Jesus

#4672573 - 09/17/05 03:02 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I've never believed there to be much need for fanning when growth is in that stage. It just dosen't seem like it should make too huge of a difference. Myco growth just seem to occur more quickly as time progresses due to the nature of how the network is formed.

Whether or not it is making a difference, I wouldn't worry about contams too much. You do have a layer of vermiculite on top and fairly small holes in your lids, correct?

--------------------

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: fanning the incubator!!?!? [Re: soulsizzle]
    #4672610 - 09/17/05 03:15 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I'm of the opinion that incubators should at least have their exchanged every few days at most. This is usually accomplished by people checking on progress. I'm not sure that multiple daily fannings would be appreciably helpful, but I certainly don't think an incubator should remained absolutely sealed throughout the entire colonization period.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Mountain Northwest
Trusted Cultivator
Re: fanning the incubator!!?!? [Re: mycofile]
    #4673149 - 09/17/05 07:50 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Most likely it helped because the air was stale in there. Unless you're trying to grow in a cold basement, you don't need an incubator. I only use a simple bookshelf in normal room temperature. Jars are exposed to regular room light from day one, and no extra heat is applied. Colonization speeds are normal. In fact, I'll say this again, any temperature over 80F is going to be counterproductive. Molds and bacteria will be encouraged more than mycelium. Good luck with your grow.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #4673257 - 09/17/05 09:53 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Gas exchange is important as well as high levels of CO2 during vegging. I've had myc rip through a quart jar (grain) in 4-5 days at 84F. Temp wise I recommmend 82-86F as being optimal as far as molds and bacterias there should be none if your sterile culture technique is not flawed IMHO. I to have colonized in the canning jar box with perfect results, no holes in the lid just slightly cracked. I have seen far too many peeps stall their jars because of a lack of air exchange. You say no tape does that mean you never used tape at all on those jars? Holes in lids right? Air-tight incubator?

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Offlinetokey666
Lamb of God
 User Gallery

Re: fanning the incubator!!?!? [Re: hyphae]
    #4673471 - 09/17/05 11:23 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Thats the for the very thorough replies!

For the questions posed to me: Yes, I have a layer of verm at the top.

I used tape on the jars, but some of it melted due to over pressure cooking for an extra 30 mins. I had the foil on the jars for the first week. Holes are in jar lids, all tape removed at 1.5 week mark. Air-tight incubator.

I do believe the air exchange has helped a GREAT deal. Why else do people say put them on their lids?

Invisibledemiu5
humans, lol
 User Gallery

Loc: the popcorn stadium Flag
    #4673590 - 09/17/05 12:16 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I was fanning, in the beginning, up to two and three times a day. Then i tried not fanning for 1-2 days at a time, and my myc started tearing through most of the jars. It's been 17 days now; 9 jars are 50%+ and the other 3 just started a week ago. 3 or 4 of those 9 jars are between 75-85% colonized. So, I have to agree with fanning them every day to every other day if they aren't out in the open.

--------------------
channel your inner Larry David

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4674749 - 09/17/05 06:59 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

tokey666 said:
Thats the for the very thorough replies!

For the questions posed to me: Yes, I have a layer of verm at the top.

I used tape on the jars, but some of it melted due to over pressure cooking for an extra 30 mins. I had the foil on the jars for the first week. Holes are in jar lids, all tape removed at 1.5 week mark. Air-tight incubator.

I do believe the air exchange has helped a GREAT deal. Why else do people say put them on their lids?

Air-tight incubator. Thats your problem right there bro. GL

--------------------
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Offlinetokey666
Lamb of God
 User Gallery

Re: fanning the incubator!!?!? [Re: hyphae]
    #4674881 - 09/17/05 07:48 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Air Tight eh? :smile:  Well its a TiT. Are you not supposed to use the other lid or what? I am trying to not attract TOO much attention to it. If I crack it, light will get in.

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4675084 - 09/17/05 08:56 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I'm sure it's not air tight bro most are not unless you weather striped it and even then...............

--------------------
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation