Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Offlinestefan
work in progress

Loc: The Netherlands
just heard a part of a shpongle track in a TV-COMMERCIAL
    #4669643 - 09/16/05 12:24 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I think it was the second song of tales of the inexpressible. bad way to use this music :thumbdown:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

Re: just heard a part of a shpongle track in a TV-COMMERCIAL [Re: stefan]
    #4669678 - 09/16/05 12:32 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

wow, what a sell-out.

OfflineLicense_to_Chill
Stranger
Male

Re: just heard a part of a shpongle track in a TV-COMMERCIAL [Re: Vvellum]
    #4669682 - 09/16/05 12:34 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

What commercial was it? I've never even heard a shpongle track.

--------------------
"I sat on the bus next to God once,
he told me about the true meaning of life...
then he gave me a pretzel..."

InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
    #4669694 - 09/16/05 12:37 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

bi0 said:
wow, what a sell-out.

What a humongous leap to a conclusion.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

OfflineDimmy
Josephacetious
 User Gallery

Loc: Georgia
Re: just heard a part of a shpongle track in a TV-COMMERCIAL [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #4669724 - 09/16/05 12:46 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

who gives a shit if shpongle was in a commercial. they are done making music. Simon Posford and Raja Ram have made three albums together and their latest release was Nothing Lasts but Nothing is Lost... hmm think their saying something. These two individuals have made some of the best music i've ever heard so i fine with them making some bank from it. and you gotta respect them because they only let their music be used in such ways after they finished the project. so you know the money aspect had nothing to do with the music itself.

--------------------
:goose:

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

Re: just heard a part of a shpongle track in a TV-COMMERCIAL [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #4670091 - 09/16/05 01:59 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I have little respect for those who agree to have their music in commericals - particularly those who hold "psychedelic" and "mind-expansion" pretenses. What a contradiction...

What did Bill Hicks say about those who do a commerical, again?

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

Re: just heard a part of a shpongle track in a TV-COMMERCIAL [Re: Dimmy]
    #4670098 - 09/16/05 02:00 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

so you know the money aspect had nothing to do with the music itself.

I highly doubt that.

InvisibleTrav
Stranger

#4670228 - 09/16/05 02:28 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

One of Shpongles songs have a guitar track that is in several different songs. I believe it's a hispanic folk song on guitar or something, which they used and added other things around it. Maybe that was it, it's on a soccer video game I used to have before I heard the shpongle song.

Invisibleivi
 User Gallery

#4670386 - 09/16/05 03:04 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

bi0 said:
I have little respect for those who agree to have their music in commericals - particularly those who hold "psychedelic" and "mind-expansion" pretenses. What a contradiction...

Then how do you go about Boards of Canada selling out to Nissan?

http://www.sagafilm.is/index.mpl?i=2&o=97

--------------------

Offlineguri
Master of theimprobablitydrive

Loc: PNWish.
    #4670471 - 09/16/05 03:27 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

bi0 said:

"psychelic" and "mind-expansion" pretenses does not nessacerily mean that making a little bit of money from one of your songs is a bad thing. if you bought the cd its the same thing, they sold there songs to make money. its what we call "making a living"

also bill hicks is just a dude, its probably not a good idea to follow everything he says in life...

--------------------
"If you don't believe drugs have done good things for us, then go home and burn all your records, all your tapes, and all your CDs because every one of those artists who have made brilliant music and enhanced your lives? The Beatles were so fucking high, they let Ringo sing a few songs." --Bill Hicks

Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
    #4670472 - 09/16/05 03:28 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

bi0 said:

Something about how they lose any right to call themselfs artists. He'd probably add something nice like now they suck on the devils cock too.

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

Re: just heard a part of a shpongle track in a TV-COMMERCIAL [Re: ivi]
    #4671918 - 09/16/05 10:47 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

pretty lame, but I am still a fan.

Male

Re: just heard a part of a shpongle track in a TV-COMMERCIAL [Re: guri]
    #4671932 - 09/16/05 10:49 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

guri said:
Quote:

bi0 said:

"psychelic" and "mind-expansion" pretenses does not nessacerily mean that making a little bit of money from one of your songs is a bad thing. if you bought the cd its the same thing, they sold there songs to make money. its what we call "making a living"

also bill hicks is just a dude, its probably not a good idea to follow everything he says in life...

Yes.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

Re: just heard a part of a shpongle track in a TV-COMMERCIAL [Re: guri]
    #4671940 - 09/16/05 10:51 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

"psychelic" and "mind-expansion" pretenses does not nessacerily mean that making a little bit of money from one of your songs is a bad thing

I have no problems with people making money - never said I did. Nor did I say that selling your music to a commerical is "bad" - I just think it makes you a sell-out - just another example of counter culture being absorbed and assimilated by mainstream culture.

Male

#4671945 - 09/16/05 10:52 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

So there's no middle-ground, in your mind? That's too bad.

--------------------

-Erik Davis

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#4671956 - 09/16/05 10:54 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

what would be the middle ground you speak of? You either agree to assimilate or you do not.

Male

#4671964 - 09/16/05 10:55 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

This is the kind of divisive, dualistic thinking that I attempt to avoid. I believe you can have each foot in a different world, as long as you maintain a healthy balance.

--------------------

-Erik Davis

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#4671972 - 09/16/05 10:58 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

...such as? what is the middle ground?

Male

#4671981 - 09/16/05 10:59 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

The middle ground doesn't necessarily exist...I'm just saying you're dividing it up like..once you sell your music to be in a commerical, you have officially sold out. I dunno about that...I mean..what commerical was it seen in? That wasn't even answered. Even artists, with "dignity" and "purpose" are entitled to make money however they can..

Also, who's to say it was Simon Posford's decision? it could have been his record label, or an American distributor with rights to his music in the US.

--------------------

-Erik Davis

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#4672008 - 09/16/05 11:05 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I would also like to know what commerical.

Quote:

Even artists, with "dignity" and "purpose" are entitled to make money however they can..

Sure, they can do whatever they want. But that doesnt mean I should respect them or not consider them assimilation-fodder.

Quote:

Also, who's to say it was Simon Posford's decision? it could have been his record label, or an American distributor with rights to his music in the US.

The artist agreed to such a contract that would allow such marketing licensing, so they are ultimately responsible.

OfflineTubOlucinogens
Stranger

#4672031 - 09/16/05 11:10 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Are you sure it's Shpongle and not just a sample they used? Shpongle uses a lot of samples in the music that are not created by Simon, but are taken off distributed sample compilations.

I've heard samples they've used in different places before, like the background music on Animal Planet or something.

Some of the lengthily, ethereal melodies you hear in Shpongle's music were not even created by Simon himself, just dubbed over. They fit well, though.

InvisibleTrav
Stranger

Re: just heard a part of a shpongle track in a TV-COMMERCIAL [Re: TubOlucinogens]
    #4672036 - 09/16/05 11:11 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

This is what I think happened.

Offlinestefan
work in progress

#4672648 - 09/17/05 01:26 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

don't remember the exact name, but it was something super-lame like 'paradise hotel'.

what I ment was that it surprised me to hear a song in such a 'different' context that usual. kinda sucky surprise :smirk:

I now can only remember the voice sample that starts after half a minute or so in the second track of tales of the inexpressible. Don't know if shpongle took that sample from some record. I'll pay more attention next time seeing it. I don't watch a lot of tv so it can take a while.

OfflineDimmy
Josephacetious
 User Gallery

Loc: Georgia
    #4673863 - 09/17/05 11:42 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

the people that are accusing spongle of selling out don't even have all the facts but they're very quick to make assumptions and judge. And even if it was indeed an original piece of Simon's music that made it into a commercial, so what? Am i going to stop listening to them? No. Am i going to stop recommending it to people? No. The Beatles, Deep Purple, Zeppelin, and countless others have been featured in commercials but i don't hear people giving them shit so why is shpongle any different? Some people need to just get over themselves.

--------------------
:goose:

InvisibleTrav
Stranger

#4673888 - 09/17/05 11:48 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

You're completely right Dimmy.

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#4674406 - 09/17/05 02:55 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

The Beatles, Deep Purple, Zeppelin, and countless others have been featured in commercials but i don't hear people giving them shit so why is shpongle any different?

They arent different. I think they are sell-outs as well - perhaps not in their days (1960s,70s) but decades after their creative emergence when they were fat and greedy and jaded (or even not in control of licensing).

Do you think John Lennon would ever sell the song "Imagine" to Coca-Cola? Ever wonder why not? I mean, it would be marketing firm's wetdream - Asian kids holding hands with Arab dudes sharing a Coke and smiling in a rainbow  :tongue:

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
    #4674451 - 09/17/05 03:11 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

You people are viewing this differently then I am. 

I think of it as a GOOD thing. 

This is a way to integrate psychedelia into world consciousness more throughly. 

Say someone hears the music on the commercial.  They MAY be thinking about the product, or they *might* hear the music and say, "Wow, that's some awesome music!" 

Then they might do some research, dig the music more, and buy the album themselves.  Soon they're reading lyrics and wanting to UNDERSTAND what the lyrics mean. 

Soon, you might have people wanting to EXPERIENCE what the lyrics mean. 

Which, in my opinion, is a good thing.  :smile:

And all because Shpongle got its foot in the door with capitalistic world consciousness.

I hope they do more of the same to bring the music mainstream.

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

Re: just heard a part of a shpongle track in a TV-COMMERCIAL [Re: MOTH]
    #4674467 - 09/17/05 03:15 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I doubt that. I think once creative and counter-culture is assimiliated into the mainstream spectacle machine, it's brilliance is voided. Think of how many psychedelic rock songs and punk songs (very radical stuff back in their time) have been featured on dumb commericals. How do most people react? They either begin to hate the song due to the commerical being played over and over...they consider the artists sell-outs (like myself)...or they go out and buy the product being hocked on the commerical.

If they dont get the music on their own, they wont get it from a commerical.

The revolution will not be televised.
The revolution will start with turning off the tv.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
    #4674486 - 09/17/05 03:23 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

bi0 said:
I doubt that. I think once creative and counter-culture is assimiliated into the mainstream spectacle machine, it's brilliance is voided. Think of how many psychedelic rock songs and punk songs (very radical stuff back in their time) have been featured on dumb commericals. How do most people react? They either begin to hate the song due to the commerical being played over and over...they consider the artists sell-outs (like myself)...or they go out and buy the product being hocked on the commerical.

If they dont get the music on their own, they wont get it from a commerical.

The revolution will not be televised.
The revolution will start with turning off the tv.

I guess I think that psychedelic culture needs to adapt if we really want the change we are always yammering about.  There's a reason wny the BORG in Star Trek were such a successful people...they knew how to adapt.  :smile:

Getting rid of TV to turn people onto issues... How likely is that to happen?  USING TV as a medium to spread correct information...that's much more applicable AND it's happening already.  :smile:

Just my 27 cents!!  :stoned:

Now for some BORG.  :tongue2:

InvisibleMushmanTheManic
Stranger

#4674967 - 09/17/05 06:12 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I am happy that Simon Posfords beautiful music will be reaching a new and larger audience too.

What divine properties are attributed to Television which can magically trasform a perfectly good song into an entirely evil one... without changing it at all?

Offlinefreddurgan
Techgnostic
Male

Re: just heard a part of a shpongle track in a TV-COMMERCIAL [Re: MushmanTheManic]
    #4675471 - 09/17/05 09:24 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

SO yeah, I know what you're talking about. THey used a Shpongle track for a sex-hotline commercial. It was tragic.

--------------------
Ishmael
http://www.ishmael.org

Ron Paul 2008!
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#4676037 - 09/17/05 11:43 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

but when has this ever been successful? Psychedelic music from the 60s has been all over tv commericals - and to what effect? None. People will not be turned on by some commerical. When have they ever? The music and the culture just gets assimiliated, digested, and spit out & the fat cats cash in.

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #4723848 - 09/28/05 02:16 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Shpongle uses samples from all over the place - This commercial probably juse used a sample that Shpongle used as well

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

OfflineFospher
Crime FightingMaster Criminal
Male

#4723988 - 09/28/05 03:27 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Four pages of drama about something that's not even confirmed. You dont even know what the track is called, you refer to the mexican folk song and to the second track at the same time, when Dorcet perception is the one with the folk song sample, not Star Shpongled Banner. I wouldnt want Shpongle to be used as a marketing tool, but until the commercial is shown or a release from the artist, I dont see why this is even discussed.

Hallucinogen has produced for Gran Turismo, however, a song called Bubble'n'Tweak. He didnt take it off any albums, this was an individual production. Posford is known for encompassing many genres of trance and producing for different audiences, but I highly doubt he'd take off a Shpongle song of an album to use for a commercial.

--------------------
010001100100001001000101!

Offlinestefan
work in progress

Re: just heard a part of a shpongle track in a TV-COMMERCIAL [Re: Fospher]
    #4724326 - 09/28/05 08:11 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I just saw another commercial and it's definitely shpongle, also an other part was used now.
isn't is possible they just used something without asking?

OfflineFospher
Male

#4726166 - 09/28/05 04:20 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Used a copyrighted product on a commercial without consent? Not in this country.

--------------------

Offlinetomk
King of OTD

Loc: PNW
    #4726300 - 09/28/05 04:48 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

What if the shpongle music were being used to sell a good product. Like organic foods or hybrid cars or something like that, where it's a good that's produced responsibly as a substitute good for one that is not used responsibility.

Even with Bill Hicks, the problem was that the products being endorsed are so obviously shitty (doritos, etc). I don't see an ethical problem with using your music to sell good things that the world would be better off with if more people used. If shpongle was being used to sell mcdonalds products, that's a lot different then using it to sell gardenburgers.

--------------------
"I am eternally free"

OfflineFospher
Male

Re: just heard a part of a shpongle track in a TV-COMMERCIAL [Re: tomk]
    #4726540 - 09/28/05 05:37 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

tomk said:
What if the shpongle music were being used to sell a good product. Like organic foods or hybrid cars or something like that, where it's a good that's produced responsibly as a substitute good for one that is not used responsibility.

Even with Bill Hicks, the problem was that the products being endorsed are so obviously shitty (doritos, etc). I don't see an ethical problem with using your music to sell good things that the world would be better off with if more people used. If shpongle was being used to sell mcdonalds products, that's a lot different then using it to sell gardenburgers.

See, this isnt Led Zeppelin, or the Stones ... Shpongle, not Hallucinogen or Space tribe, is a band thats so far high up there, it would not endorse anything but mind expansion. Plus, even though it has gained popularity as of late, it's still underground as fuck.

@stefan: just read you're in the netherlands. Dont know the legal status of copyright in your country, some countries dont have it. If it's legal to steal music, then it's legal to use it for a commercial.

--------------------

Offlinephi1618
old hand

#4726579 - 09/28/05 05:44 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I'd be interested in seeing the commercial.

Sometimes, if a band refuses to allow a song to be used for a comercial, the advertisers will write an almost identical song to use instead.

In any case, I don't have a problem w/ Potsford and Raja Ram making a few bucks, if that's what they did. I like the band, I like the message, but making music is a business as well.
They aren't really "underground as fuck" either, and haven't been for several years. If they were, I probably wouldn't know about them.

OfflineFospher
Male

Re: just heard a part of a shpongle track in a TV-COMMERCIAL [Re: phi1618]
    #4726627 - 09/28/05 05:53 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

>> go outside shroomery and ask an average kid about shpongle. At least in these parts, I've only met 2 people that knew it without me telling them about it.

--------------------

Invisiblechinacat72
eyes of theworld
 User Gallery

Loc: Terrapin Station
    #4726936 - 09/28/05 06:50 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Has the 3rd Shpongle album been released yet??? :crazy2:

--------------------
Some rise
Some fall
Some climb
To get to Terrapin!!!

OfflineFospher
Male

Re: just heard a part of a shpongle track in a TV-COMMERCIAL [Re: chinacat72]
    #4727478 - 09/28/05 08:43 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

chinacat72 said:
Has the 3rd Shpongle album been released yet??? :crazy2:

Yeah man, like two months ago. Check it out, the price dropped to just 10 bucks from the original 30. I dont like some of the songs on the album and think they should have waited on the release to improve them,  but nontheless, a gem in the psy-trance world.

Molecular Superstructure...so good :drooling:

--------------------

Invisiblechinacat72
eyes of theworld
 User Gallery

#4727512 - 09/28/05 08:50 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Whats the name of it?

--------------------
Some rise
Some fall
Some climb
To get to Terrapin!!!

Invisiblechinacat72
eyes of theworld
 User Gallery

#4727532 - 09/28/05 08:52 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Never mind I just found it.

--------------------
Some rise
Some fall
Some climb
To get to Terrapin!!!

OfflineFospher
Male

#4727538 - 09/28/05 08:53 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

chinacat72 said:
Whats the name of it?

Nothing Lasts...but Nothing is Lost
(or get it from iTunes)

--------------------

Offlinedr0mni
My Own Messiah
 User Gallery

Loc: USF Tampa, Fl
    #4727640 - 09/28/05 09:11 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

wow, that nissan commercial with the BoC song was pretty trippy. It strangly did the song justice, despite the corperateness of nissan.

I honestly don't blame any artist for selling their music for commercials. Gotta make a living...

oh, and since when is a counter-culture supposed to be permanently opposed to the mainstream? Isn't the whole point of the counter-culture to change the mainstream? How do you expect assimilation NOT to happen, and why is it such a bad thing? Because once everyone else "starts doing it" then it makes you less cool and unique? Get over it! :whatever:

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #4729089 - 09/29/05 12:22 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

"I just saw another commercial and it's definitely shpongle."

Don't be too sure..... Almost half of that 2nd album is made from samples.

I recently saw a commercial that had the same horns as My Head Feels Like A Frisbee, but learned long ago that the horns from My Head Feels Like A Frisbee were taken from some old spanish morning show called "Morning Live" or somethin. On the Shpongle CD, they add in smaller little parts and overflow it later with their own bits of horn and other audio, but the underlying "riff" is taken directly from the intro to this old spanish show.

Also don't leave out the possibility that many of the sound engineers working for corporations these days on their commercials could have been trippers and into Shpongle-type stuff (Its not far-out to think that your average sound-engineer would be very impressed with Shpongle's absurdly hi-fi sounds) and are looking to emulate it for the public enrichment.

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

Loc: The Desert
Re: just heard a part of a shpongle track in a TV-COMMERCIAL [Re: Strumpling]
    #4729451 - 09/29/05 01:40 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

woah.. Strumpling? haha where the hell have you been? hey brotha

or where the hell have i been, one of the too...

I just heard 2 BoC songs mixed together during one of those short radio spots advertising for the station, ya know, with really fast changes and weird effects on voices and whatnot to keep your attention while they say the call letters.

i was sad. then i was happy. then i punched a baby (no not really)

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    n.  3rd generation derivitave of a combination of 'bastard' and 'blasted'.  Used as both an insult or an expletive.
    ex.  Blastrid!

Stereopattern  <--My music.

InvisibleMushmanTheManic
Stranger

Re: just heard a part of a shpongle track in a TV-COMMERCIAL [Re: dr0mni]
    #4733321 - 09/29/05 07:25 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

dr0mni said:
I honestly don't blame any artist for selling their music for commercials. Gotta make a living...

oh, and since when is a counter-culture supposed to be permanently opposed to the mainstream? Isn't the whole point of the counter-culture to change the mainstream? How do you expect assimilation NOT to happen, and why is it such a bad thing? Because once everyone else "starts doing it" then it makes you less cool and unique? Get over it! :whatever:

:thumbup:

OfflineVex
Stranger
    #4733776 - 09/29/05 09:07 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

really people, who gives a flying fuck?

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#4736429 - 09/30/05 11:47 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

dr0mni said:

well, consider the word "counter-culture." In definition, it will always "counter" the mainstream. I do not think the "whole point of the counter-culture" is to change the mainstream - who said so? I think a big point is to simply counter, to simply be outside, an alternative. So as long as what Mckenna termed the "dominator culture" exists, there will be a counter-culture - always has been, always will.

I consider myself a member of the counter-culture & I have little interest in changing the mainstream - whatever that means. I am interested in evolving personally and helping those whom I love. I harbor no utopian dreams.

Assimilation takes what is radical & different and sells it back to you with all that was radical stripped away. Bad? Not necessarily. I am not a fan of things I love being raped & pilaged. I am not a fan of creative expression devolving into commerical jingles. I do not take artists who sell-out (or agree to be sold) seriously. I lose interest in things I love or respect being cheapened to hock dumb products of the throw-away culture.

Offlinedr0mni
My Own Messiah
 User Gallery

#4736486 - 09/30/05 11:57 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

sure understandable, but still, you (and I'm not saying YOU directly) find security and group identity in being "different" from the "mainstream". But when the counter-culture starts to be reflected in the mainstream then your carefully constructed identity starts to crumble. You're no longer different, and you don't know who you are because of it.

Since the 60's, the mainstream wouldn't be the mainstream without a counter-culture. Rebellion, in most cases, is just another clique, another social-status.

Being different is just one more way to jerk ourselves off.

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#4736513 - 09/30/05 12:00 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

so what? whats wrong with being different?

being a peaceful and intelligent person is just another way to jerk yourself off, right?

Offlinedr0mni
My Own Messiah
 User Gallery

#4736547 - 09/30/05 12:06 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

bi0 said:
so what? whats wrong with being different?

being a peaceful and intelligent person is just another way to jerk yourself off, right?

yeah, basically...

I mean I know I get a huge ego trip out of being smart, humble, and respectful!

nothing wrong with being different, I mean everyone's different... but that's why being different doesn't make you special.

"You're unique, just like everyone else..."

Offlineaeonsound
Stranger
    #5532721 - 04/19/06 08:22 AM (18 years, 2 days ago)

i can't see any reason for shpongle to do such a thing. they are an incredibly successful group, each member of which has their own incredibly successful acts... and between Twisted the label, Hallucinogen, 1200mics, TIP; i just can't imagine them really needing, nor wanting, to sign a track over to an ad campaign. it just doesn't make sense, and for all the already-mentioned reasons about sampling and cloning of tracks (ever hear the Garnier shampoo ads?) i'm disinclined to believe that the song in question is one of theirs.

i'll ask Ott and he'll ask Simon then it will all be clear :wink: :smile:

[edit: although in principal and as a musician, i think people get pilloried for 'selling out' far too easily... ref: Tool 'Hooker With a Penis' and Reel Big Fish 'Sell Out']

Edited by aeonsound (04/19/06 08:24 AM)

Invisiblekaniz
That one, overthere.
Male

Loc: Ontario
Re: just heard a part of a shpongle track in a TV-COMMERCIAL [Re: aeonsound]
    #5533071 - 04/19/06 10:23 AM (18 years, 2 days ago)

To me, selling out is when you purposefully change your sound to become commercially viable / mainstream, and then start letting the record labels / marketers / focus groups / etc / etc telling you what to do, what to sound like, what to look like, where to go, what to say.

If you have a good song, and a record company approaches you to say ?Hey, mind if we use your song??, as long as its not promoting a product that the artist is opposed to ? I don?t see why not.

If I had a song, and some car company offered me a heafty sum to play it in a commercial ? I wouldn?t say no.

Now, if I had a record label come up to me and said ?hey, we kind of like your stuff - but, could you change your sound to fit this, dress like this, style your hair like that, give these answers to questions in interviews, and give us your first born ? then we?ll give you money?, I?d give them the finger.

As long as the artist is staying true to their sound/vision I don?t see a problem with licensing the song to be used in commercials / movies / tv shows / video games / whatever. The more money they can get for their music = the more time they can spend working on their music, as they are able to sustain their life creating music without having to resort to part-time jobs to pay the bills.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale