Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: .
Shity eyes
    #4668873 - 09/16/05 10:32 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

I just found this very interesting and thought i'd share it with everyone... especially the ones who already knew what it was called.

The little "threads" floating in your eyes when you look at the sky are called floaters. They?re the remains of the hyaloid artery, which carried blood to your eye when you were a developing fetus and disintegrated shortly after birth.

Floaters are suspended in the thick fluid of the eye. Thus, they generally follow the rapid motions of the eye, while drifting slowly within the fluid. Floaters located slightly to the side of one's direction of gaze can be particularly annoying. The temptation to try to look directly at them is almost irresistible. However, attempts to shift the gaze toward them are frustrated, because the floaters follow the motion of the eye, and remain to the side of the direction of gaze. On the other hand, because floaters are not perfectly fixed within the fluid, the brain does not get a chance to tune them out (as it does with the shadows of the eye's blood vessels, which are invisible under normal circumstances).

Floaters are particularly noticeable when lying on one's back and gazing at the sky. Despite the name "floaters," many of these specks have a tendency to sink toward the bottom of the eyeball, in whichever way the eyeball is oriented; the supine position tends to concentrate them near fovea, which is the center of gaze, while the textureless and evenly lit sky forms an ideal background against which to view them.

Floaters are not uncommon, although they rarely cause problems for those who have them. Floaters can be a nuisance and a distraction to those who suffer from severe cases, as the spots seem to drift through the field of vision. Ophthalmologists believe that the shapes are shadows projected onto the retina by tiny structures of protein or other cell debris discarded over the years and trapped in the vitreous humour. It is not, however, only elderly people who suffer from floaters; they can certainly become a problem to younger people, especially if they are myopic. They are also common after cataract operations or after trauma. In some cases, floaters are congenital.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator

Loc: the sky
Re: Shity eyes [Re: Cowgold]
    #4668877 - 09/16/05 10:36 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

I've definitely, definitely noticed my floaters more since I started taking acid a couple of years back.

Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

User Gallery

Loc: Great White North
    #4668938 - 09/16/05 11:14 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Never knew they had a term. Interesting post. I used to chase floaters when I was little. I never could catch them... :sad:

#4668949 - 09/16/05 11:19 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Very interesting, I always wondered what those were! And just like Robot I've notiiced them a lot more since I started dabbling in psychedelics.

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: .
Re: Shity eyes [Re: Trav]
    #4668952 - 09/16/05 11:22 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

I notice them real well when I'm in the bathroom... shity eyes in more ways than two...

Human Being

Loc: Here & Now
    #4669092 - 09/16/05 12:17 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

That's very interesting, I've been curious about those for a while. Between the floaters, my eyes occassionally going out of focus, and mild positive afterimages, I decided to call my opthamologist a week or two ago.

He looked all in my eye, and said everything looked normal. I hope he's right. If he's wrong, it could mean my retina is detaching or something. Hopefully he would notice something like that!

Anyways, I have a feeling it's just very mild HPPD or something similar.

"What is in us that turns a deaf ear to the cries of human suffering?"

"Belief is a beautiful armor
But makes for the heaviest sword"
- John Mayer

Making the noise "penicillin" is no substitute for actually taking penicillin.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." -Abraham Lincoln

I Tell You What!

Re: Shity eyes [Re: dblaney]
    #4670327 - 09/16/05 04:51 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

it's probably HPPD .... i see negative image tracers when my eyes move and i'm looking at a light source (sometimes) and it happened since doing LSA mainly..... [imagine say, the tv forms a somewhat "melting" but not at all fluid (as if there were a slow framerate) tracer in usually a negative and darkish blue/purple motion such that a tv is a tv is a tv fading out in color when you move the eyes sometimes but it's not detailed or focusable....]

i doubt it means we're going blind.

and yes, staring at the sky and seeing thousands of little specks is odd.... but drugs have never enhanced it (which is good i think)

I am the MacDaddy of Heimlich County, I play it Straight Up Yo!

....I embrace my desire to feel the rhythm, to feel connected enough to step aside and weep like a widow, to feel inspired, to fathom the power, to witness the beauty, to bathe in the fountain, to swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human......
Om Namah Shivaya, I tell you What!

Edited by leery11 (09/16/05 04:53 PM)

Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
    #4670388 - 09/16/05 05:05 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

I've never had those before.

Must be genetics?

So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> The Pub