Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisiblepsilomonkey
Twisted brainwrong of a oneoff man mental

Loc: Airstrip One
BBC2: Documentary 'The New Al-Qaeda: jihad.com'
    #4450005 - 07/25/05 10:17 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Looks like an interesting documentary series on the WoT. First part tonight on BBC2 at 2100BST.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/4683403.stm

I am sure torrents will be up shortly afterwards.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblepsilomonkey

Re: BBC2: Documentary 'The New Al-Qaeda: jihad.com' [Re: psilomonkey]
    #4450021 - 07/25/05 10:21 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Sometimes I don't think its a good idea for the media to keep reporting on how security forces and police operate.

Could it be thought to be in the public interest not to report on such things?

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #4450091 - 07/25/05 10:46 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Some things should be kept secret. The media of the past understood that. Today's politicized media doesn't. Or perhaps they do and they just don't care as long as they can damage those politicians they oppose.

Phred

--------------------

Invisiblepsilomonkey

Re: BBC2: Documentary 'The New Al-Qaeda: jihad.com' [Re: Phred]
    #4450121 - 07/25/05 10:54 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I think some is down political agenda, but commercial interests are the big driver. Ratings or selling papers at any cost.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

#4450151 - 07/25/05 11:02 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

That is part of it as well, but I think it's a very small part. They won't sell any less papers or lose any advertising dollars by not reporting these things. How can the public even know about "special tactic A" or "contingency plan B" if the press doesn't tell them? Did people in WWII stop reading papers because the details of Opertion Overlord weren't reported in them? Nope.

Phred

--------------------

Invisiblemoog
Stranger

#4450267 - 07/25/05 11:36 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Someone should actually buy jihad.com and turn it into an online shop where I can get a "I waged jihad on the West and all I got was this stupid t-shirt" t-shirt.

InvisibleIsaacHunt
Stranger
    #4450282 - 07/25/05 11:39 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Sometimes I don't think its a good idea for the media to keep reporting on how security forces and police operate.

I don't believe the program will tell us how the police operate. It's more to do with the current state of "al-qaeda".

When you're trying to put across a fake idea of fighting a "war on terror" the more publicity you get concerning myths of "al-qaeda" the better. The key thing is keeping your population fearful.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #4450950 - 07/25/05 02:39 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Phred said:
Some things should be kept secret. The media of the past understood that. Today's politicized media doesn't. Or perhaps they do and they just don't care as long as they can damage those politicians they oppose.
Phred

It sems todays politicians can't keep their mouths shut either
Saturday, July 23, 2005 1:11 p.m. EDT

Report: Justice Department Probing Durbin, Rockefeller CIA Leak

The Justice Department has launched a criminal investigation into whether Democratic Senators Dick Durbin, Jay Rockefeller and Ron Wyden leaked details about a secret "black ops" CIA satellite program last December in a move that may have seriously compromised national security, former Deputy Undersecretary of Defense Jed Babbin said on Saturday.

"The CIA made a request to the Justice Department to investigate and possibly bring criminal charges against these three [senators]," Babbin told WABC Radio host Monica Crowley. "My information is that investigation is ongoing."

Story Continues Below

Rockefeller is the vice chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee and Durbin is the No. 2-ranking Democrat in the Senate.

Media reports on the satellite leak last December indicated that the Bush administration was concerned about public comments by Durbin, Rockefeller and Wyden and that the CIA had requested a Justice Department probe.

"The formal request for a leaks investigation would target people who described sensitive details about a new generation of spy satellites to The Washington Post, which published a page-one story about the espionage program Saturday [Dec. 11, 2004]," a Justice Department official told The Associated Press at the time.

But the same official told the AP that Justice "has not decided whether to investigate."

Former Deputy Undersecretary Babbin's comments on Saturday were the first indication that such a probe was actually launched and is ongoing.

"The fact of the matter is that [Durbin, Rockefeller and Wyden] divulged something that was above and beyond top secret and frankly, they probably blew the strategy and the hundreds of millions of dollars that were being spent to pursue it," Babbin told Crowley.

"The acknowledgement of [the "black ops" program's] existence is not even proper and the acknowledgement of them and the details of them can very well damage national security," Babbin added.

Asked if he thought the three Senate Democrats should have their security clearances revoked for the duration of the leak probe, the former Defense Department official said: "Absolutely and forthwith. I mean, they should have been revoked at the time of the leak."

"There's really not much doubt about the leak having occurred," Babbin told Crowley. "It's in the press records, it's in the Congressional record. We know what they did."

"The only question," he explained, "is how much damage was done by the leak. And that's part of the criminal investigation right now - to do a damage assessment, to figure out how much this is going to cost us strategically and militarily."

Fucking morons.

--------------------

Invisiblepsilomonkey

Re: BBC2: Documentary 'The New Al-Qaeda: jihad.com' [Re: IsaacHunt]
    #4451102 - 07/25/05 03:10 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

IsaacHunt said:

I don't believe the program will tell us how the police operate. It's more to do with the current state of "al-qaeda".

When you're trying to put across a fake idea of fighting a "war on terror" the more publicity you get concerning myths of "al-qaeda" the better. The key thing is keeping your population fearful.

A very interesting piece. It did not go into detail about investigative technique, it only covered what was already public knowledge.

As to the myths concerning al-qaeda, In the opening statement, sorry I did not make an exact note, but to paraphrase, "there are those that believe that al-qaeda is an exaggeration, put forward by politicians to further the goals, as an expert that has studied terrorism for 30? years, I can tell you its not.", A very direct swipe at a previous BBC documentary (The Power of Nightmares).

This part was about the use of the Internet by jihadis, and how terrorist organizations have become media savy in their recruitment and organization.

I found it very thought provoking, and look forward to the next 2 parts.

uknova, is sure to carry a torrent soon, but I will look out for more open torrent links hosting this.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

#4668858 - 09/16/05 08:21 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Did you ever catch the other two parts to this series? If so, were they as good in your opinion as the first part?

Phred

--------------------

Invisiblepsilomonkey

#4668888 - 09/16/05 08:42 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Unfortunately not, work got a bit hectic and I missed them :frown:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom