Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
old hand
 User Gallery
Mushrooms tied to fatal crash
    #4668829 - 09/16/05 10:00 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Mushrooms tied to fatal crash

Police conclude driver high on hallucinogens

By Kimberly Bolander, Record Searchlight
September 16, 2005

A 20-year-old driver was high on hallucinogenic mushrooms and likely speeding in excess of 100 mph when he broadsided a car on July 24, killing four people and himself, police said Thursday.

Calvin Huffmaster of Redding was driving southbound on Highway 273 when he swerved left around two lanes of cars stopped at a red light at the Canyon Road intersection, Redding police Sgt. John Severson said.

Huffmaster ran the red light, crashing into a car driven by 16-year-old Tiffany Harder, who was turning left onto Highway 273 from Canyon Road.

"Based on the stopped traffic and high speed of Huffmaster's car, it is quite probable she had no opportunity to see him coming," Severson said.

Inside Harder's car were her 16-year-old boyfriend Jesse Brown, mother Lisa Robie, 44, and stepfather Steven Robie, 50. All died at the scene, as did Huffmaster.

About 1,100 people attended the joint funeral, including many friends from West Valley High School in Cottonwood, where the teen couple were students, and Faith Community Church, where the Robies attended services.

A tip from a confidential informant led the coroner's office to request a special toxicology test on Huffmaster, which found psilocybin mushrooms in his system, Shasta County Deputy Coroner-Investigator Mike Booth said Thursday.

The drug would not have been detected by the usual toxicology check, Booth said.

"It's a specialized test that we had to run. It's not one that we run on everybody," he said.

Use of hallucinogenic mushrooms is rare in Shasta County, Severson said. The drug may have made Huffmaster falsely aware of his speed.

"He may have been going well over 100 mph, and thought he was going the speed limit," Severson said.

Or, the mushrooms may have put him in such a state of euphoria that he drove fast "just for the thrill of it," the sergeant said.

"That gets into some speculation, but we've seen that before" with hallucinogens, he said. "Hallucinogens give you an altered sense of reality. ... When people are tripping,' as they put it, they're in a different place, mentally."

Police did background checks, but were unable to track how or where Huffmaster got the mushrooms, Severson said. He moved to Redding from Maxwell in 2003 and was a student at Shasta College.

A collision investigation and reconstruction by Redding police calculated Huffmaster's speed at more than 91 mph, but "with the tremendous vehicle damage to the other car, it is highly probable that his speed was in excess of 100 mph," Severson said.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Human Being

Loc: Here & Now
Re: Mushrooms tied to fatal crash [Re: motaman]
    #4668996 - 09/16/05 11:36 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

'nuff said.

"What is in us that turns a deaf ear to the cries of human suffering?"

"Belief is a beautiful armor
But makes for the heaviest sword"
- John Mayer

Making the noise "penicillin" is no substitute for actually taking penicillin.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." -Abraham Lincoln

Mushrooms tied to fatal crash-Revised [Re: motaman]
    #7163557 - 07/12/07 12:32 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

The two year anniversary of this tragedy is approaching. I know this because I, and let me emphasize the importance of saying this, I was his very best friend. The him I am referring to is Calvin Huffmaster. As he was my very best friend. There is an abundance of sympathy I hold for the other victims in this tragedy but there is much more detail involved besides that news story. He did die because he had a bad trip, but the details involved in that trip go way beyond him being able to make a conscience decision to drive. The only reason I am replying to this now old and dead topic is because my brother and certainly not from blood, is dead. I google'd his name to see what might come up considering the death toll in such an incident and this was the only thing I found related to the topic. If anybody is curious as to how such an event could unfold, feel free to contact me.

AIM SN:crusaytr

Thank you, and be well...

Kevin McCaffrey

Male User Gallery

Re: Mushrooms tied to fatal crash-Revised [Re: kevin530]
    #7163865 - 07/12/07 01:16 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

what the fuck that web site has notyhing to do with the post that i could see?

Loc: City of Dreams
Re: Mushrooms tied to fatal crash-Revised [Re: indica]
    #7164016 - 07/12/07 01:36 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Umm this was from 2005.

Muppet Said:

so yeah:
- 'sex' five times
- once with a man
- once with a cadaver
- and thrice with actual women(all of which were prostitutes)
Best story ever!

www.panicstream.com :thumbup:

Kang OfToadstool Land
 User Gallery

Loc: Some where down river
Re: Mushrooms tied to fatal crash-Revised [Re: pinkfloydms]
    #7164841 - 07/12/07 05:54 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

I would never be confident enough to drive on shrooms. what a mind bender that trip must have been. I always warn everyone dont fuckin drive or your dead...
dont give dumb friends good drugs

"Stability is Luxury"

Electro Penguin

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Moralton, Statesota
Re: Mushrooms tied to fatal crash-Revised [Re: KangKoopa]
    #7165192 - 07/12/07 10:58 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

I really really really HATE being in a car when tripping on anything. I just freak out. I couldnt imagine driving

Not here
Male User Gallery

Loc: Longitudinal Center of Ca...
Re: Mushrooms tied to fatal crash-Revised [Re: pinkfloydms]
    #7166923 - 07/12/07 06:29 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

pinkfloydms said:
Umm this was from 2005.

Read the thread.

Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

I come in thespirit ofhostility
 User Gallery

Loc: Rigel VII
Re: Mushrooms tied to fatal crash-Revised [Re: kevin530]
    #7168945 - 07/13/07 01:20 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

that sucks man, im really sorry. but you might as well post what you have to say about it here, the edited not too personal version at least. im sure whoever reads this thread would like to know the rest of this tragic story.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service