Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisiblePsychoslut
The Mother Fucking Bear-o-dactyl
 User Gallery
Loc: all up in ya
Making a false desert habitat for cacti indoors
    #4666819 - 09/15/05 07:14 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Something I was thinking about the other day. LW's take 5 years to grow to any type of size when cared for, and not in the wild. Most people winter the lw, and wait till summer for the growing season. Now im thinking these things take long enough to grow anyways, why would a guy want to slow them down in the winter? For 30 dollars and 80 watts of elecricity you can make a good desert environment in a 10 gallon tank. An environment with 80 degree air temp and bottom temp, and good lighting from a flourescent light. People who like desert reptiles already know how to do this.

You will need

A ten gallon fish tank
A under tank stick on heat pad, made for reptiles
A flourescent light of your choice, a compact kind would be best imo
Some sand
A thermometer

Stick the heat pad on the bottom of the tank, add 2 inches of sand. Plug in the heat pad. The sand in not for planting your cacti into, it is to eliminate hot spots, and conduct and radiate heat evenly and efficiently. Now just throw in your thermometer, and rig your light up. You will have to adjust the lid you use to cover the tank, for holding heat. It will all depend on the wattage and heat output of the light and tank heater.

Have fun keeping your cacti growing fast and healthy year round.

--------------------

[quote]KristiMidocean said:
Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleoneducktwoducks
Re: Making a false desert habitat for cacti indoors *DELETED* [Re: Psychoslut]
    #4667128 - 09/15/05 08:29 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Post deleted by oneducktwoducks

Reason for deletion: .

InvisiblePsychoslut
 User Gallery
Re: Making a false desert habitat for cacti indoors [Re: oneducktwoducks]
    #4667387 - 09/15/05 09:10 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

your opinion does not count.

--------------------

Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

OfflineJCoke
dream observer
Male

Loc: maryland Flag
Re: Making a false desert habitat for cacti indoors [Re: Psychoslut]
    #4668058 - 09/15/05 11:34 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Psychoslut said:
your opinion does not count.

wtf? his idea sounds like a good idea to me, i hope this is part of some inside joke (or even fight,, tsk tsk  :grin:) between the two (or three??) of you! grr! don't make me bust out the "ban" icon greamlin on your ass!

(so late at night, and i'm so drunk, :blush: ,,,,,,it's one of those "hope what i write now, makes sence when i read it in the morning", kind of nights.. :crazy: :thumbdown: :thumbup:  :tongue2: :sun: :syringe: :crazy2: :rocket: :mushroom2: :stoned: :eek: :mad2: :sad: :rasta: :evil: :grin: :grin: :grin: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :confused: :confused: :confused: :crazy: :crazy: :thumbup: :thumbup: :grin: :tongue: :wink: :ooo: :crazy: :laugh: :shocked: :smirk: :confused: :grin: :rolleyes: :thumbdown: :thumbup: :heart: :grin: :blush: :frown: :smile: :cool: :mad: ................. maybe i'm the one you shoulkd bust the "ban" greamlin on??  :crazy: )

--------------------
hello, your name is life on earth
------------------------------------

"I traveled a long way seeking God, but when I finally gave up and turned back, there He was, within me! O Lalli! Now why do you wander like a beggar? Make some effort, and He will grant you a vision of Himself in the form of bliss in your heart." -the saint of the Kashmir Shaivism tradition: Lalli.

Edited by JCoke (09/15/05 11:37 PM)

OfflineOpenminded
Dicotyledon

Loc: England.
Re: Making a false desert habitat for cacti indoors [Re: oneducktwoducks]
    #4668778 - 09/16/05 06:51 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Well even if you do graft, you'll still save time by not letting it go dormant in the winter.

InvisiblePsychoslut
 User Gallery
Re: Making a false desert habitat for cacti indoors [Re: Openminded]
    #4670833 - 09/16/05 05:29 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I respect you allot Openminded, you are one of the few on here who can actually think for themselves.

And some more reasons you may not want to graft.

You dont know how
Know how but dont want to risk killing the cactus you took months to get ahold of
Dont have grafting stock
Cannot set your cacti next to the window for heat and light, even in the summer because your moms a bitch or your wife is a cunt.

The list goes on and on why someone would want to build a false desert environment, I hope someone reads, uses and appreciates the information I gave.

--------------------

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
    #4674594 - 09/17/05 04:10 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Psychoslut said:
You dont know how - Grafting is not difficult and information is readily
available.

Know how but dont want to risk killing the cactus you took months to
get ahold of - reasonable, but after some time, I think you can take
a graft from the mother, leaving a mother with potential for more pups
at the spot you cut from and a new LW.

Dont have grafting stock - it's out there.

Cannot set your cacti next to the window for heat and light, even in the summer because your moms a bitch or your wife is a cunt - if your mom or wife are
that bad, what makes you think you can get away with spending a ton of
money to put together a large aquarium setup for the same purposes?

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

InvisiblePsychoslut
 User Gallery
Re: Making a false desert habitat for cacti indoors [Re: afoaf]
    #4674689 - 09/17/05 04:41 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I am not going to discuss this with you. The only reason you are doing this is because you are trying to discredit me, and stroke your own ego. If you dont have anything prodictive to say than take your ass on back to OTD

--------------------

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

#4674712 - 09/17/05 04:48 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

wow, don't be so defensive.

I'm simply pointing out that your 4 reasons are
pretty defeatist in nature.

especially the last.

that's like saying your wife won't let you put a pot
plant in the window, but she will let you build out
an extravagant grow room in one of the closets.

that's just ludicrous.

I think it's pretty clear that grafting on pereskis
is an effective, proven and accelerated means of
propagating the cactus.

--------------------

InvisiblePsychoslut
 User Gallery
    #4674755 - 09/17/05 05:00 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Do not try to predict why someone would or would not need, or want to build a false desert environment, it is for informational purposes. Just because you do not need to use it does not mean there is no one that does. The usefulness of my idea is subjective to a persons own situation, OK so what it is useless to you, but the guy with a cunt wife may be setting one up in the crawl space rite now.

I agree with you that a peyote will grow the fastest grafted to something else. But even with a graft, you still should not dormant your graft in the winter.

It cost less than 30 dollars to make a desert environment, and if you believe that the set-up i explaind is complex or expensive, you are a simple minded person, who is lazy with no money.

Myrtillocactus Geometrizans makes a much better grafting stock than pereskiopsis.

Do you want to keep being an asshole or just shut your mouth?

--------------------

Edited by Psychoslut (09/17/05 05:07 PM)

OfflineLegoulash
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #4674864 - 09/17/05 05:42 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

>if you believe that the set-up i explaind is complex or expensive, you are a simple minded person, who is lazy with no money.

Thanks for filling us in.

>Myrtillocactus Geometrizans makes a much better grafting stock than pereskiopsis.

Could you give us some reasons why? I find perkopsis to be better because the grafts grow up to 5X faster.

I dont know why you wont listen to peoples constructive critisism, But making a desert like condition with florecents wont get what you want, the spectrum is wrong. A hps would be better, but still not as good as the sun, People dont "winter" their plants because theyre lazy. They do it because its a natural part of the plants grow patterns.

Please try not turn the garden into otd. Were just here to help each other.

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

#4674932 - 09/17/05 06:01 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I'd prefer if you'd spare us all the hostility.

anything above simple sunlight and water is more complex and
expensive.

furthermore, I think you'll find plenty of folks that
would argue your assertion regarding the feasibility of
pereski vs MG for grafting stock.

good luck with your project, whether it be in your crawlspace,
window or closet, brother.

shine on.

--------------------

OfflineOpenminded
Dicotyledon

#4675173 - 09/17/05 07:37 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

(Please excuse spelling mistakes in this post, I am a bit drunk)

Thanks, Psychoslut :love:.

I grow my cacti under fluorescents over winter. Sure, making them go dormant over winter is simpler, but it really costs nothing to set up some fluorescents and keep them growing. And then your cacti will reach maturity that much sooner.

Everything I have read suggests that pereskiopsis is not as good as a long-term stock such as MG or pedro. It is definitely great for seedlings, but the usual columnar cacti are apparently better for long-term.

"They do it because its a natural part of the plants grow patterns."

Yes, it is natural, but that doesn't make it the best. As Una from mushmush has shown, 24hr lighting with cacti is great, even though that is not what they get in the wuild.
And yes, normal fluorescents do not have exactly the correct colour profile, but apparently the amount of light is more important than the colour profile, and normal fluorescents are better than grow lights, on a watt-per-? basis (this is info is from Martin at the Nook, and he definitely knows his cacti...).

OfflineOpenminded
Dicotyledon

#4675192 - 09/17/05 07:45 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

And if you're growing at 50W per square foot, which seems reasonable, then the bulbs etc will only cost you like $5 per square foot.

And it's great if you're not only growing cacti. If you'e growing other things which can't have a dormant period, then it's a cheap way to kepp your plants alive, and you can grow all sorts under your lights. My E. novos are under about 50W/Ft with my cacti seedlings, and they are doing great. Without my winter lights, I don't think they would survive.

Edit: Basically, fluoros for winter are great.

Edited by Openminded (09/17/05 07:51 PM)

OfflineKonnrade
↑↑↓↓<--><-->BA
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: LA Suburbs
    #4676115 - 09/17/05 11:59 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

You know, oddly enough... I have a 10 gallon tank in my room. The fish in there are over 4 years old, and the ones that havent died yet I am allowing to live out the rest of their lives in peace, without restocking it. I have a cat too, and well the two don't mix, and the fish are unecessary trouble that I'll be happy to be rid of when they're ready to move on. That said, I also have 3 T. pachanoi that may need a home this winter to avoid the rains and cold (though here in california that's mild). I have a second story room facing the morning sun, so I cant exactly leave the shade up or it hits triple digits inside... this sounds like a very good option, although I would have to accomodate their height.

Thanks for the useful information. Admittedly, this would be far more reasonable for williamsii (sp?) as their size is far less restrictive.  If anyone has any tips or comments about the san pedros, though... I would welcome the info  :grin:

Oh, and I happen to have a thinner, quite tall terrarium as well... perhaps that would be a better option. A quite aesthetic option as well!

Gee, it makes me feel all excited =P

--------------------

I find your lack of faith disturbing

InvisiblePsychoslut
 User Gallery
    #4676721 - 09/18/05 03:21 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Thank you for backing me up. Some of these people on here will dog the hell out of a guy, just because he is trying to spread some good info, and they didn't think of it first. Its nice to have someone else around who knows what they are talking about.
Bottom line is. If YOU believe my idea sucks, don't use it, if you like it use it and enjoy.

I am not concerned with anyones opinions, or what they think would work better.

--------------------

InvisiblePsychoslut
 User Gallery
Re: Making a false desert habitat for cacti indoors [Re: Legoulash]
    #4676743 - 09/18/05 03:45 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Rah said:
>if you believe that the set-up i explaind is complex or expensive, you are a simple minded person, who is lazy with no money.

Thanks for filling us in.

>Myrtillocactus Geometrizans makes a much better grafting stock than pereskiopsis.

Could you give us some reasons why? I find perkopsis to be better because the grafts grow up to 5X faster.

I dont know why you wont listen to peoples constructive critisism, But making a desert like condition with florecents wont get what you want, the spectrum is wrong. A hps would be better, but still not as good as the sun, People dont "winter" their plants because theyre lazy. They do it because its a natural part of the plants grow patterns.

Please try not turn the garden into otd. Were just here to help each other.

Blue myrtle are perfect for grafting and boosting your peyote and other plants. Unlike pereskiopsis your plants do not need to be regrafted after a short while. Also, as the leaves fall off pereskiopsis (and it ships badly)it looses its vigour myrtillocactus always continues vigorous growth.

This is not my own information, it is taken from another web page.

--------------------

OfflineLiquidSmoke
My title's cooler than yours DBK

Loc: S.A.G.G.Y.B.A.L.L.S.
    #4677126 - 09/18/05 09:35 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

you gotta love the cultivation egos....

--------------------
"Shmokin' weed, Shmokin' wizz, doin' coke, drinkin' beers.  Drinkin' beers beers beers, rollin' fatties, smokin' blunts.  Who smokes tha blunts?  We smoke the blunts" - Jay and Silent Bob strike Back

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag