Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineBataviaVakereli
Stranger
Any idea why my jars do this?
    #4667181 - 09/15/05 10:39 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I'm growing QT jars with WBS. They have a hole in the top about the diameter of a pencil stuffed with polyfil. They're filled aprox 2/3 or a little more. The jars only seem to colonize at about the top 1/3 of my substrate. I shook the jars after I injected with spores and have shaken them again when they get about 30% colonized, but even after shaking, only the top portion is growing. I have the jars inside a tub in tub with a blanket over the jars to keep in heat.

Any ideas on why I can't get colonization anywhere except the tops of the jars?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineevolmachine
Wandering Star
Re: Any idea why my jars do this? [Re: BataviaVakereli]
    #4667350 - 09/15/05 11:05 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

When you shake, are you sure the grains on the bottom of the jar are actually moving? I had to bang mine against my hand several times on a few jars because they got a tad too wet and stuck really bad against the bottom. They didn't colonize there until after I shook em up REALLY good. Does it look like you have a wet spot on the bottom of the jars? Could be contams keepin it from growing...

I dunno, that sounds kinda odd. At first I thought maybe the tub was sitting on something too cool like cement, but I see your using a tit. Weird.

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Any idea why my jars do this? [Re: evolmachine]
    #4667975 - 09/16/05 01:17 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Or is the incubator too hot?

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

OfflineSmashedup
Stranger
Re: Any idea why my jars do this? [Re: mycofile]
    #4668564 - 09/16/05 04:11 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

A few things I would try, maybe your'e stuffing the polyfill in the hole too tight? iono nev4r used polyfill, I"d say try the tyvek instead of polyfill, it's worked great for me so far. it's pressure cooker safe too! or like was said in the previous post. . check your temp aim for about 80. . .

Offlinepuwtrip
spirit molecule

Re: Any idea why my jars do this? [Re: Smashedup]
    #4668582 - 09/16/05 04:23 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

i remember someone saying they had this problem and that turning the jar upside down allowed the bottom portion to colonize. the explination was that co2 was sinking and collecting in the bottom, keeping the oxygen away and preventing growth.

Invisibleblissedout
Male User Gallery

Loc: Yonder
Re: Any idea why my jars do this? [Re: puwtrip]
    #4668585 - 09/16/05 04:26 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Good answer! That is what I was thinking, but I waited. It is a good possibility that this is the answer.

--------------------

:murray:

Invisiblebackupwards
peon

Loc: somewhere else
Re: Any idea why my jars do this? [Re: blissedout]
    #4668687 - 09/16/05 06:35 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

i wouldn't think so with wbs jars, when you flip it over the polyfil will get wet and allow contams to grow through it. yes it works with brf jars but there is not a filter to get wet and contam.

are the wbs a bit wet maybe? thats what it sounds like it may be to me. as the jars sit the water seeps down keeping the myc growth in the top of the jar where the moisture content is ok. hmmm, maybe.

best of luck
:peace:

OfflineBataviaVakereli
Stranger
Re: Any idea why my jars do this? [Re: backupwards]
    #4669830 - 09/16/05 03:09 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I was pretty sure flipping the jars would lead to contams. Polyfil doesn't contam but if it gets wet, the water contams and then passes on to my WBS. The jars aren't too wet. I know what that looks like. No wet spot on the bottom. No clumping. I shook really good last night and I can clearly see myc from the top now at the bottom, so maybe it'll colonize now. Hopefully. I thought about the polyfil maybe being too tight so in my next grow I'll try some jars with tyvek and some with polyfil just to be sure. The temp is pretty good. I have a thermometer next to the jars that reads between 80 and 85 at all times.

We'll see how it goes and I'll post back. Thanks for the help so far and if anyone has any other suggestions, don't hesitate to post. Thanks.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation