Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Compare CBD   Amazon Air Pump, Air Stone, Perlite, Portable Greenhouse

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinetokey666
Lamb of God
 User Gallery

Loc: Your Mom
where did we get "must fan 4 times daily"??????
    #4666211 - 09/15/05 06:59 PM (12 years, 11 days ago)

Alright, I have been reading through the database on here and have found some interesting info about the perlite humidification technique. Not one of them under HUMIDIFICATION TECHNIQUES does it state fan up to 4 times daily, which I have heard over and over again from message board members.

Example:
"Make sure that your terrarium doesn't have any hole to drain CO2 . Fanning the terrarium with the top every couple of days is fine."

Example 2 (Diff Tek):
"Put the top on the terrarium. It is probably a good idea to 'fan' the terrarium once a day so that carbon dioxide doesn't build up down where the cakes are."

So my question is, are some of these fanning methods just exagerated? Or have you PERSONALLY done a controlled experiment with the varible being fanning times? I'm not gunna waste my time with air stones and crap is I just need to fan once a day.

I know what you are thinking, "Well, it couldn't hurt." Of course not, but I'm not going to waste my time if I don't have to, or if its not beneficial to anything.

Does ANYONE have any hard fast evidence that fanning 4 times a day is better than 1 or 2?

Thanks!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleFooManM
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: where did we get "must fan 4 times daily"?????? [Re: tokey666]
    #4666224 - 09/15/05 07:03 PM (12 years, 11 days ago)

I would say fan even more than that for OPTIMUM growth. You can probably get away with 1-2 times a day, but you want a lot of FAE.

--------------------

Invisiblebackupwards
peon

Loc: somewhere else
Re: where did we get "must fan 4 times daily"?????? [Re: FooMan]
    #4666424 - 09/15/05 07:44 PM (12 years, 11 days ago)

1-3 exchanges per hour is supposed to be optimal. let me tell ya there was a difference in growth when i went from fanning a few times a day to air pumps and cool mists.

:peace:

OfflineBamaman
...has issues.

Loc: Down the rabbit hole...
    #4666523 - 09/15/05 08:05 PM (12 years, 11 days ago)

This is from some major guide on growing. I believe the concensus of the vets is that a tek is a simple guideline and the cultivators guide is more like the growers bible.

"Fresh air also removes high concentrations of carbon dioxide and other metabolic gases from the room. Since Agaricus brunnescens does not pin properly at CO2 concentrations above 2000 ppm, lowering the carbon dioxide content of the room's air to under 2000 ppm is critical. The inhibitory effect of carbon dioxide on mushroom formation gives Agaricus growers a high degree of control over the pinning process. Not until carbon dioxide is removed will pinheads form. If carbon dioxide levels remain high, the mycelium will totally cover the casing surface, a condition called overlay."

--------------------
Diabetes causes hamsters.

Offlinetokey666
Lamb of God
 User Gallery

Loc: Your Mom
Re: where did we get "must fan 4 times daily"?????? [Re: Bamaman]
    #4666924 - 09/15/05 09:40 PM (12 years, 11 days ago)

So there is a SIGNIFICANT difference in air pumps and perlite, eh?

Any other takers?

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #4667136 - 09/15/05 10:31 PM (12 years, 11 days ago)

FYI fanning is most important during the pinning stage as pockets in the casing surfaces structure can become stagnant and pumps will not disturb these pockets. Once pins are formed air pumped through moist perlite (humid air) is fine. You do want a certain rate of evaporation to occur as this is a great aid in fruitbody maturation. This means 100% RH would totally inhibit this process thus lower relative humidities are most desirable. The rate of growth is increased and there have been many studies with higher amounts of FAE's as long as RH levels are maintained optimally. It's just the way it is bro. GL

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: where did we get "must fan 4 times daily"?????? [Re: hyphae]
    #4667194 - 09/15/05 10:42 PM (12 years, 11 days ago)

I've seen mushies grow in farms faster than you wouldn't believe...

I'm sure that it's due to factors like wind, IE Constant o2/co2 exchange.

Not really anything to do with how many times you fan or how much, the point is, Constant exchange is Optimal, :smirk:

Gl

-Gnostic

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: where did we get "must fan 4 times daily"?????? [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #4667236 - 09/15/05 10:50 PM (12 years, 11 days ago)

This also reduces contams just like in nature. Nature is constant FAE 24/7 combined with 100% RH (fog) is as good as it gets!!!!
Agreed

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Mountain Northwest
Trusted Cultivator
Re: where did we get "must fan 4 times daily"?????? [Re: hyphae]
    #4667654 - 09/16/05 12:06 AM (12 years, 11 days ago)

When I used to use terrariums, I simpy left the lid crooked so they had a constant air exchange. It worked fine. With a mini greenhouse, I purposely made a very sloppy fitting door that is open from top to bottom. This provides a constant air exchange which helps to stimulate pinning as well as to inhibit contaminant molds. As hyphae said, you must have a constant rate of evaporation from the casing surface for proper pin formation. Stagnant air prevents that evaporation and encourages mold growth.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Compare CBD   Amazon Air Pump, Air Stone, Perlite, Portable Greenhouse

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation