Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineentiformatie
EvolutionaryMovements
Male
Loc: miami, florida
bad trips, "what if i bug out,"... an analysis :-D
    #4660371 - 09/14/05 02:08 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

So I've been wondering about bad trips lately. I've definitely had my share, from thinking I was god and stripping naked and hugging strangers in my delusion, to thinking that I unlocked some secret code that would undo my existance, to thinking that I pissed off some super-diety (that expressed itself as hallucinations of my parents very upset).

My last trip with morning glory seeds, I thought to myself the same thoughts as when I normally go on a bad trip, have I done something terribly cosmically wrong? And then I realized no... It's just impossible.

Anyways, since then, I've done a lot of thinking on bad trips, and here's what I've decided:

"what if i bug out" can totally fuck up a trip. the moment you consider the possibility of a bad trip, you bring to surface all sorts of fears. if you see something scary, you might think "uh oh, bad trip" or maybe some random scary thought, and oh shit, the room got darker, and there's a voice in your head telling you your going to spend an eternity in hell.

you begin to try to rationalize the experience. and since it's an irrational experience, you can't do it, and the confusion and fear begins to overwhelm you.

You can't really run away from the question "what if i bug out," or ignore it. Repressing something while you trip will force it to manifest itself in some extremely unpleasant ways.

Don't try to rationalize the experience away. Transcend it. Meditate on it. Breathe it, observe it, write it.

A bad trip is just the result of you misdirecting your thoughts. If you start to "bug out," don't run away from it. Go deeper. You're given a key to unlock the psyche. Don't drop that key.

Bugging out is directly related to your unconcious (freud), to your shadow (jung), to the part of you that you refuse to accept. So accept that which you refuse to accept. You cannot wish it away. But you can learn from it.

I think this is what makes LSD such a wonderful psychotherapy tool. It allows you to perceive your unconcious, very much like dreaming does. You manifest abstract concepts into something more concrete, which can help you understand what exactly these things mean to you.

--------------------
/opinion
.sean

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleStickyWater
Stranger
Re: bad trips, "what if i bug out,"... an analysis :-D [Re: entiformatie]
    #4660487 - 09/14/05 02:34 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I've only done shrooms, and I do agree that those off thoughts can bring you into a pretty scary place, but in my experience, if you let yourself go into it you'll eventualy be unable to get back out. I find that the best way to stop these dark thoughts (thoughts that trigger something an make everything look as though there's a giant shadow over it, least that's what happense when I get those "what if I bug out" thoughts) is to catch it happening as soon as you can, and then get up and do something, anything that requires a bit of thinking just to distract yourself for a couple seconds, soon enough you'll be completely involved in that activity and wont even remember what you were thinking about that made your trip start going bad.

OfflineLysergic_Milkman
Dr. Fist
Male

Loc: ATL
    #4661155 - 09/14/05 04:39 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

entiformatie said:
Repressing something while you trip will force it to manifest itself in some extremely unpleasant ways.

I'm going to keep that quote in a safe place. Good one there.
Actually, your whole post is full of wise advice. Did you think of all that yourself?
Very impressive.  :thumbup:
I'm going to recommend that this be put into the tripper's FAQ (if something like it isn't already in there).

5 shrooms for you!  :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2:

InvisibleTheory45
Basidia Brain

#4661279 - 09/14/05 05:07 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Don't try to rationalize the experience away. Transcend it. Meditate on it. Breathe it, observe it, write it.

Definitely.

Basically the bad part of a bad trip is just fear, 100% of the time. Remember that quote "all you have to fear is fear it's self"? It applies to the psychedelic experience quite well. 
    If something pops up while you're tripping IE: scary thoughts, something you have to do, cops, dealing with family members,whatever, just grow some stones and face it, deal with it, resolve it, and learn from it.
      I have had to deal with some pretty lame shit during trips, and doing the above mentioned turned the difficult trip into a beautiful learning experience that strengthened my mind and soul. :mushroom2:

OfflineWillieTomg
If stemmer votedme 1, I'm doingSOMETHING right!
Loc: On the insides of your ey...
Re: bad trips, "what if i bug out,"... an analysis :-D [Re: Theory45]
    #4661383 - 09/14/05 05:28 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Whenever I find myself sliding into a bad trip, I always bring out a journal I carry with me, and write something positive about my mindset. The reason I do this is because whenever I'm in the throes of the psychadelic mindset, I need to have my thoughts "told" to me, so if I see them written off the printed page, they'll carry more force, and stick better. There's nothing like reading a giant banner that says "ALL IS WELL" when on your way to the 5th plateau to make you feel at peace with wherever you're going.

--------------------
Battles of wits are impossible with the unarmed.

InvisibleLand_Crab
NeuroticPsychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: U.S.
Re: bad trips, "what if i bug out,"... an analysis :-D [Re: WillieTomg]
    #4661693 - 09/14/05 06:57 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

3.MENTAL FILTER:
You pick out a single negative detail and dwell on it exclusively so that your vision of all reality becomes darkened, like the drop of ink that discolors the entire beaker of water.

5.JUMPING TO CONCLUSIONS:
The Fortune Teller Error: You anticipate that things will turn out badly, and you feel convinced that your prediction is an already established fact.

6.MAGNIFICATION (CATASTROPHIZING) OR MINIMIZATION:
You exaggerate the importance of things (such as your goof-up or someone else's achievement) or you inappropriately shrink things until they appear tiny (your own desirable qualities or the other fellow's imperfections).

7.EMOTIONAL REASONING:
You assume that your negative emotions necessarily reflect the way things really are: "I feel it, therefore it must be true."

- These are from a list of Cognitive Distortions, which are things we tell ourselves that end up distorting our perception. This list was never written with tripping in mind, but I believe that tripping can potentially make you more vulnerable to such thoughts.

OfflineLysergic_Milkman
Dr. Fist
Male

Loc: ATL
Re: bad trips, "what if i bug out,"... an analysis :-D [Re: Land_Crab]
    #4661858 - 09/14/05 07:29 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Could you put up a link of where you found that, please (is it at the shroomery?)?

That pretty much sum's up just about everything [cognitive] that could possibly be the final cause of a bad trip.

InvisibleLand_Crab
NeuroticPsychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: U.S.
Cognitive distortions [Re: Lysergic_Milkman]
    #4663061 - 09/14/05 11:00 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

My psychiatrist made me aware of a well-known list in cognitive therapy of the 10 most common ways in which our perception and reasoning become distorted. This list is a powerful tool to help untangle things, because it is objective and totally accurate. You can find many links if you search for "cognitive distortions" on the Web, but I'll just go ahead and post the list:

1. ALL-OR-NOTHING THINKING: You see things in black-and-white categories. If your performance falls short of perfect, you see your self as a total failure.

2. OVERGENERALIZATION: You see a single negative event as a never-ending pattern of defeat.

3. MENTAL FILTER: You pick out a single negative detail and dwell on it exclusively so that your vision of all reality becomes darkened, like the drop of ink that discolors the entire beaker of water.

4. DISQUALIFYING THE POSITIVE: You reject positive experiences by insisting they "don't count" for some reason or other. In this way you can maintain a negative belief that is contradicted by your everyday experiences.

5. JUMPING TO CONCLUSIONS: You make a negative interpretation even though there are no definite facts that convincingly support your conclusion.

1. MIND READING: You arbitrarily conclude that someone is reacting negatively to you, and you don't bother to check this out
2. THE FORTUNETELLER ERROR: you can anticipate that things will turn out badly, and you feel convinced that your prediction is an already-established fact.

6. MAGNIFICATION (CATASTROPHIZING) OR MINIMIZATION: You exaggerate the importance of things (such as your goof-up or someone else's achievement), or you inappropriately shrink things until they appear tiny (your own desirable qualities or other fellow's imperfections). This is also called the binocular trick."

7. EMOTIONAL REASONING: You assume that your negative emotions necessarily reflect the way things really are: "I feel it, therefore it must be true."

8. SHOULD STATEMENTS: You try to motivate yourself with should and shouldn't, as if you had to be whipped and punished before you could be expected to do anything. "Musts" and "oughts" are also offenders. The emotional consequences are guilt. When you direct should statements toward others, you feel anger, frustration, and resentment.

9. LABELING AND MISLABELING: This is an extreme form of overgeneralization. Instead of describing your error, you attach a negative label to yourself. "I'm a loser." When someone else's behavior rubs you the wrong way, you attach a negative label to him" "He's a Goddamn louse." Mislabeling involves describing an event with language that is highly colored and emotionally loaded.

10. PERSONALIZATION: You see your self as the cause of some negative external event, which in fact you were not primarily responsible for.

- Remember, there is a difference between being logical and being rational.

OfflineTMonk
PsychadelicStudent
 User Gallery

Loc: Humboldt State University
    #4663562 - 09/15/05 12:58 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Bad trips come from bad thoughts, which is usually from a bad state of mind or setting while tripping.
What it takes to make a bad trip back on the good wavelengths is different from person to person. Some rationalize it, others medidate out of it, and some stop and focus only on the love in their hearts.
Its subjective in my opinion

--------------------
"Let me tell some one about this dream:
The sky was filled with stars,
while the sun,
kissed the mountains blue.
And eleven moons
ran across the rainbows
above me and you..."
-One Rainy Wish

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies