Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinePax
Stranger
First Time Questions and A Unique Issue
    #4662360 - 09/14/05 11:01 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Okay, so I am new to psychedlics other than cannabis.

Having done alot of reading up on it, and having had multiple people reccomending it to me, I am ready to embark on my first mushroom trip.

Thing is, I'M BIPOLAR.

Now, I take meds for it, and am pretty adjusted to having to cope with it. My highs aren't psychotic and my lows are not sucidal (I deff.am NOT suicidal and never have been),just excessive energy w/ the occasional hard crash where I just fall asleep and lose energy.
I have heard people say that folks with bipolar should NEVER do any hallucinogen, and on the other side, that it can be helpful and even therapeutic if done carefully with the right intentions and mindset.

So i'm asking the following questions:

Can I trip safely-should I not take my Lamictal(not an SSRI)when I do?

Will it help me heal and grow as a person (my hope is that it will)?

I would likely be doing this alone unless I can find someone who's not busy to watch me or be a sitter-would I be able to trip alone if the setting was peaceful and my mindset was positive? why or why not?

Thank in advance and HI!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleFunkyLoFi
Existing

Re: First Time Questions and A Unique Issue [Re: Pax]
    #4662421 - 09/14/05 11:15 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I have a friend who is bipolar and trips on occasion. She only eats a lose dose, 2-3.5 grams. Her condition is much like you described yours, not very bad. She has had a bad trip and been able to handle it just fine, probably couldn't have done it better myself. I think you are ok to give it a shot, but I am no doctor. I think it is probably very important that your setting be perfect and be the your most trustworthy friends.

OfflinePax
Stranger
Re: First Time Questions and A Unique Issue [Re: FunkyLoFi]
    #4662449 - 09/14/05 11:23 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Does much of anything happen at 2-3.5 grams? I thought threshold was above 5 grams.

OfflineeVil_
StrangelyFamiliar
 User Gallery

Loc: Iowa
    #4662469 - 09/14/05 11:27 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

apparently you have more reading to do because 5g (dried, of course) is a very large dose to take, esp for the first time.

--------------------
It's great to be here. I thank you. Ah, I've been on the road doing comedy for ten years now, so bear with me while I plaster on a fake smile and plough through this shit one more time. - Bill Hicks

<Guest> has anyone ever heard of sprinklen a freshcow pattie w dust and hangin it from a tree in cheese cloth and watering it?

OfflinePerfectlyDefectd
Dr. Pedro

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Re: First Time Questions and A Unique Issue [Re: eVil_]
    #4662486 - 09/14/05 11:30 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

im bipolar so i can relate.. i use a form of lithium.. but yeah i can help ya.. ur meds are fine.. dont stop takin them.. even thou i did becauz now i self-medicate.. not smart althou ive never been happier, every person is different.. 3.5 grams is a good starting dose.. just have fun and dont worry.. let the shroomies take u away to paradise!! happy trips and welcome to the shroomery

OfflinePax
Stranger
    #4662489 - 09/14/05 11:30 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Thinks..wait..yeah, picturing 5 grams in terms of scale, that does seem like alot..I forgot how big a gram is in itself. So I guess right at about 3.5 to 4 grams is the best dose for your first time?

OfflineeVil_
StrangelyFamiliar
 User Gallery

Loc: Iowa
    #4662499 - 09/14/05 11:32 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

well, it's probably better to start low, especially if you think you may have some adverse psychological reaction to them.

--------------------
It's great to be here. I thank you. Ah, I've been on the road doing comedy for ten years now, so bear with me while I plaster on a fake smile and plough through this shit one more time. - Bill Hicks

<Guest> has anyone ever heard of sprinklen a freshcow pattie w dust and hangin it from a tree in cheese cloth and watering it?

OfflinePerfectlyDefectd
Dr. Pedro

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
    #4662519 - 09/14/05 11:36 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

3-3.5 even better.. ull have plenty of chances to increase dosage.. be patient

Offlineswiftrance
Let there belight

Re: First Time Questions and A Unique Issue [Re: PerfectlyDefectd]
    #4662892 - 09/15/05 12:34 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

im unmedicated, but i believe i have a bit of bi-polar in me. master of indecision. anyways, 3.5grams knocks me on my ass. i'd take 2g for your first time IMO.

--------------------

OfflinePax
Stranger
Re: First Time Questions and A Unique Issue [Re: swiftrance]
    #4663123 - 09/15/05 01:07 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I weigh about 180lbs, if that means anything in terms of dose.

I have to take large does of anything to get an effect.

Like the Lamictal I take is a bigass pill.

InvisibleFunkyLoFi
Existing

#4663301 - 09/15/05 01:34 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I ate 2.5 the other day and had a hell of a time. I think that threshold is more around 1 - 1.5 grams depended on the potency of mushrooms. I would suggest 2.5g for first time, just so you can feel it out.

OfflineSheepish
 User Gallery

Loc: Exile
    #4663720 - 09/15/05 05:24 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Some meds will lower the effectiveness of drugs like LSD and shrooms. You may find that happens to you when you dose, but it may not.
Start low and see what happens.

OfflinePax
Stranger
Re: First Time Questions and A Unique Issue [Re: Sheepish]
    #4672303 - 09/17/05 02:05 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

If you don't own a scale, is there a way to eyeball dosage?

OfflineNickSoapdish
Hypochondriac
Male

#4672354 - 09/17/05 02:14 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

its difficult without a scale because different mushrooms vary in density and whatnot. Just buy a cheap finger scale at a head shop for like 3 bucks.

--------------------

OfflineLysergic_Milkman
Dr. Fist
Male

Loc: ATL
    #4673198 - 09/17/05 08:53 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Pax said:
I weigh about 180lbs, if that means anything in terms of dose.

I have to take large does of anything to get an effect.

Like the Lamictal I take is a bigass pill.

Weight is irrelevant. How tall are you?

OfflineAsanteA
flip-flop magician
Male User Gallery

Loc: Right Here - Right Now
    #4673224 - 09/17/05 09:26 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Pax: the average Shroomerite takes about 2gr (two-thirds of 1/8oz) and takes this once every two months. This is an average derived off the Great Mushrooms Poll (on top of every forum for the time being, we hope to get 1.000 respondents on all questions) and represents 855 users in more than 10.000 trips. So 2gr, which is the average taken and recommended to n00bs is definately something to consider.

5gr can be horribly intense. Do not do it, especially not when bipolar, because bipolar people likely will react more intensely to the already strong emotional effects.

You *must* continue tasking your Lamictal. Why? First off: any time you quit and restart the medicine, especially a bigass dose, you run the chance of getting Stevens-Johnson syndrome. This is a skin rash that can in some cases be so severe as to resemble having a bucket of boiling water poured out over yourself.
So you must *never* quit and re-initiate Lamictal. Usually if you get a rash it will be like a bout of eczema but SJS is a very real risk when a dose of Lamictasl is suddenly greatly increased.

Secondly: you need the Lamictal to keep your moods in check. It would be pretty unwise to quit a mood stabilizer (and get rebound mood instability) right before you plunge into a Psychedelic experience, which already greatly intensifies moods.

Lastly: Lamictal and mushrooms or LSD can be taken together without harmful in interaction. If you as a bipolar take your lamictal you will react more characteristically to a psychedelic than if you quit taking it.

"I'm going to take a strong dose of a drug which plunges me into turmoil. Let's skip the pill that keeps my sober turmoil in check"
What were you thinking :wink:

I have used for 12 years and 100 trips and even though I have used extremely high doses I nowadays use 0.25-2.5gr exclusively. One gram can put me in dire and extremely unpleasant psychological states (which are beneficial to personsal growth if dealt with correctly - meaning surrendering and feeling them to the fullest rather than trying to avoid facing the agony) but I must add that I am at least twice as sensitive as the average person.

This again puts the average 2gr on the map as a workable dose which in the average person can cause extreme mental states.

I*f you say you're bipolar and on meds then you should REALLY think if you want to usde psychedelics. You are more likely to experience utmostly unpleasant mental states and are more susceptible to detrimental aftermath effects. (which in some can last months after a single low dose session if it rubs them wrong)
I will *not* recommend you to use mushrooms, far from it. I can pose a question for you to meditate on, however:

Are you willing to deal with extremely unpleasant feelings by surrendering and feeling them to their full horridness? Are you willing to risk temporary or lasting setbacks in your mental health? Are you willing to confront your worst fears?

Only if the answer to all three is YES can you seriously consider tripping might be for you, because despite all the fluffy talk thats what happens when the going gets rough, especially for people with pre-existing psychological problems.

Take care  :heart:

--------------------
CLICK ONE -->  :redpill:  :bluepill:  <-- GO PLACES
SEARCH ENGINE  SUPPORT TICKETS  STORE  SPONSORS/VENDORS  AMANI
PSYCHOSIS, SYNCHRONICITIES, SHAMANISM & THE SUPERNATURAL WA&F

From the Outcasts to the Incrowd, from the Clueless to the Helpful, it takes the whole Shroomery to help a n00b

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Scales

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience