Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedrloomis82
Walks with Kings
 User Gallery

Loc: Limbo
Maintaining a psychedelic lifestyle
    #4661898 - 09/14/05 07:36 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

The fact of the matter is that we (users of psychedelics) are an oppressed group of people, if ever there ever was one. When it comes to the law, it?s pretty black-and-white: We have no rights. We can be drug tested if an employer deems it necessary in most cases. We have to constantly fear being harassed by ?law enforcement? officials for little more than possessing (or ingesting) chemicals that are (in most cases) naturally-occurring in nature. We cannot, in most settings, be open about our usage of such substances, for fear of either losing our jobs or being labeled as a ?drug user.?

I read an article recently about two EMTs who were fired from a local ambulance company for testing positive for cannabis. The two in question were stellar employees who had near-perfect attendance records and never gave the company any problems. They were tested after a supervisor was notified by another employee that the two had been open about their usage of marijuana on their off-work time. The company did give pre-employment drug screens (which the two men had passed) but did not test thereafter, unless given a reason to do so. Apparently, the comments of a coworker is enough to warrant a test in some cases. One of the men resigned instantly after being told he had to take the drug screen and the other took the test, and then resigned. Case in point: We have to be VERY careful about talking about the usage of cannabis (or any other psychedelic) in the employment setting?and really any other setting if you think about it. If you ask me, the company lost two good employees for something that shouldn?t even be an issue, after all it?d be perfectly and ?legally? acceptable for them to drink heavily on their days off?surely they would not have been fired for doing so.

I recently graduated from college and I?m really getting depressed about not being able to toke. I?ve been an avid smoker for about five years and it honestly feels as though I?ve lost (or, more correctly, am cut-off from) a good friend. It fucking hurts, man. Cannabis for me was something that helped me get through the day; as long as I knew that I had a bowl to smoke after a long day, I could put up with a lot of bullshit (and often happily so). Not having that mind-freeing and mind-expanding experience of a few good tokes after a long, hard day has left me feeling rather depressed and somewhat hollow. It?s really dark times for me. The reason that I?m not smoking is because I?ve been applying for jobs lately, many of which test?and the language of the law is clear, the employer has the RIGHT to test your system for ?prohibited substances.?

At this point, being that I graduated from college and I?m looking to start some sort of a professional career, I can?t even risk smoking and just trying to somehow pass the test; I really need a good-paying job, and I guess I?m willing to play the game and pass the pre-employment screen. But, man, it?s fucking hard as shit?and totally needless. I?m also nervous that some jobs might even routinely and randomly test employees; under those conditions I could never work.

So, here?s my question: How do you all deal with being a user of psychedelics in these dark and oppressive times? I feel like I?m sacrificing my values and lifestyle-choice by not smoking, but I feel like I?m baked into a corner -- it?s either conform OR don?t get employed!

Dark, dark times, man. Smoke a fat one for me (or, more correctly, for all those oppressed under this brutal tyranny that we live).

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedrloomis82
Walks with Kings
 User Gallery

Re: Maintaining a psychedelic lifestyle [Re: drloomis82]
    #4661929 - 09/14/05 07:41 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Heh. I was going to edit the post and fix the typo in the second-to-last paragraph to ?backed into a corner?? instead of ?baked into a corner?? But, I think I?ll leave it. That?s a stoner-Freudian-slip, I think.

Smoke ?em if you got ?em!

OfflineLysergic_Milkman
Dr. Fist
Male

Loc: ATL
    #4661956 - 09/14/05 07:48 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Well, first off, you went from shrooms to cannabis. 2 totally different subject areas. But I get what your saying.

Just say, "Fuck em." start your own business, and hire those poor opressed people (like me).
Move to an un-opressed country.

Offlinedrloomis82
Walks with Kings
 User Gallery

Re: Maintaining a psychedelic lifestyle [Re: Lysergic_Milkman]
    #4661968 - 09/14/05 07:49 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I don't think I ever mentioned 'shrooms in the post. I generally used the term "psychedelics" and specifically cannabis. And, no, it's not two different subject areas... the subject of the post is that users of psychedelics are an oppressed people, regardless of what substance is used.

Edited by drloomis82 (09/14/05 07:51 PM)

OfflineEkstaza
stranger than most
 User Gallery

Loc: Around the corner
    #4662012 - 09/14/05 07:55 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I guess that I'm about the last guy you'd want to reply to this because I'm not going to say what you want to hear. At least, I think you won't.
But, in any case here it goes.

I only like toking very seldom and consider it a treat when I do. My big thing is tripping and I can't do that every day anyways so I pretty much don't have anything that I would get too upset about giving up for a while.

The way I see it, these things are here for me to enjoy sometimes, not all of the time.

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

Offlinejobot37
Edible hunter
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Oregon, Willamette Valley
Re: Maintaining a psychedelic lifestyle [Re: Ekstaza]
    #4662074 - 09/14/05 08:07 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I agree, especially mushrooms or other psychadelia, its a gift fromt he earth, not to be abused

OfflineLysergic_Milkman
Dr. Fist
Male

#4662081 - 09/14/05 08:08 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

drloomis82 said:
I don't think I ever mentioned 'shrooms in the post.

Oops, you're right. Sorry.

Quote:

drloomis82 said:
I generally used the term "psychedelics" and specifically cannabis. And, no, it's not two different subject areas... the subject of the post is that users of psychedelics are an oppressed people, regardless of what substance is used.

Well, There is a difference between the two in my opinion. Many people smoke Cannabis and it is looked upon as an alternative life-style by the general public. Psychedelic use (keeping in mind that i don't consider Cannabis to be psychedelic) is pretty much taboo, and is looked upon as one might look upon witchcraft.
Those things that we don't understand, we either fear, or hate.
With Cannabis, there is only hate. With psychedelics, fear is very much a factor.

Edited by Lysergic_Milkman (09/14/05 08:09 PM)

Offlinedrloomis82
Walks with Kings
 User Gallery

Re: Maintaining a psychedelic lifestyle [Re: jobot37]
    #4662090 - 09/14/05 08:09 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I agree with regard to boomers and LSD, but I'd hardly say that smoking a bowl of weed every night would be abusive... not that any of you have directly implied as much.

Offlinedrloomis82
Walks with Kings
 User Gallery

#4662102 - 09/14/05 08:12 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I'm one of those who considers cannabis to, most certianly, be a psychedelic -- albeit one of low intensity in the grand spectrum of psychedelic substances. But that's just me.

Edited by drloomis82 (09/14/05 08:12 PM)

OfflineQuantumMeltdown
Space Monkey
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    #4662112 - 09/14/05 08:13 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Hate stems from fear so theres no difference.

--------------------
-QuantumMeltdown

Total abstinence is so excellent a thing that it cannot be carried to too great an extent. In my passion for it I even carry it so far as to totally abstain from total abstinence itself.
  -Mark Twain

"The time has come the walrus said, little oysters  hide their heads, my Twain of thought is loosely bound I guess its time to Mark this down, Be good and you will be lonesome
Be lonesome and you will be free
Live a lie and you will live to regret it
That's what livin' is to me
That's what livin' is to me"
Jimmy Buffett

OfflineSilent_Echo
~~Psychonaut~~

Loc: Inside My Head
Re: Maintaining a psychedelic lifestyle [Re: QuantumMeltdown]
    #4662129 - 09/14/05 08:18 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Im in college right now about to become a major in Computer Network Security and Forinsics...and i secretly love mushrooms...you dont have to talk about it, if you do want to..do what i do and come here. I have been told by friends that i will grow out of them, but I dissagree..

Peace :mushroom2:
Alex

--------------------
Life is only a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves.
-Bill Hicks (R.I.P)

OfflineLysergic_Milkman
Dr. Fist
Male

Re: Maintaining a psychedelic lifestyle [Re: QuantumMeltdown]
    #4662141 - 09/14/05 08:21 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Butterflies stem from catapillers,
maturity stems from infancy,
adulteration stems from innocence.
Is there no difference there?

Offlinedrloomis82
Walks with Kings
 User Gallery

Re: Maintaining a psychedelic lifestyle [Re: Silent_Echo]
    #4662145 - 09/14/05 08:22 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

But I think the point is that we really shouldn't feel afraid to talk about them -- but we DO because there is so much misinformation and fear involved that it's just ridiculous.

Offlinedrloomis82
Walks with Kings
 User Gallery

#4662164 - 09/14/05 08:25 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Lysergic_Milkman said:
Butterflies stem from catapillers,
maturity stems from infancy,
adulteration stems from innocence.
Is there no difference there?

Adulteration -- to make impure by adding extraneous, improper, or inferior ingredients. Huh?

InvisibleToolTroll
tourettic
Male User Gallery

Loc: N. Cack
    #4662190 - 09/14/05 08:29 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah, it's a tough road to walk. I personally wouldn't want to work for an employer who wanted to drug test me and possibly fire me depending on that little test. I work in the restaraunt business, so that's not usually a problem. You would have a hard time finding line and prep cooks who don't smoke! :smile:
However my gf  is a college graduate and has at times applied for those types of jobs where you def. get tested. And she is certainly not sober. :wink: She actually had a job (night shift at a group home, not fun) that piss-tested her about 14 hours after she had blazed. Well, she drank a shitload of water, took a vitamin, and got hired. She was never sure if there was a mix-up, or if they just overlooked the THC (nothing else would have showed up), cuz her fatty tissues, like mine, are saturated with THC. But she got the job. And quit after two months cuz it sucked.
Anyway, pot is the only real problem in that respect, cuz most tests don't screen for psilocybin or lsd, etc. And unless you come to work wearing tie-dyes, carrying glowsticks and/or have dilated pupils, it shouldn't ever be an issue.

damn, i'm longwinded tonite:)

--------------------
"This whole idea that different is bad, that a change in consciousness is in itself harmful, is really one of the fundamental problems inherent in the drug war.” - Rick Doblin
my cactus collection
You vote with your dollars. Everyday. Vote responsibly.

OfflineEkstaza
stranger than most
 User Gallery

Loc: Around the corner
    #4662225 - 09/14/05 08:34 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

drloomis82 said:
But I think the point is that we really shouldn't feel afraid to talk about them -- but we DO because there is so much misinformation and fear involved that it's just ridiculous.

That's just the atmosphere we are living in right now. It would be nice to change it, but it won't happen overnight and until we do change it we all have to watch our ass.

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

InvisibleFunkyLoFi
Existing

Re: Maintaining a psychedelic lifestyle [Re: ToolTroll]
    #4662320 - 09/14/05 08:51 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I am currently in college, fast approaching my final year. I am sitting on a fairly shitty job at a campus food joint(no pun intended), where 60% of the employees(including manager) smoke cannabis, and the other 40% have smoked or at least respect it. The work I have to do kinda sucks, but the fact that I can be open about what I enjoy to do in my free, makes the job enjoyable. I can be myself. As long as we are on time and do our jobs like we are supposed to do, the managers let us be as high as we want, even smoke on the job. I realize this is a big extreme and its not the type of job someone with any college education should ever work, but I don't mind going to work.

So basically my friend, I feel your pain. In about one year I will be dealing with the same issues as you are right now. On a side note...when i was testing for a job at Circuit City I stopped smoking only 24 hours before the test and drank a product called Pure Gold. I followed the directions exactly and I passed my test. I think its just a masking agent and I believe some places can test for those, but I had my test at a clinic place that only did drug tests and I passed.

OfflinePuppet1
Stranger
Re: Maintaining a psychedelic lifestyle [Re: FunkyLoFi]
    #4664979 - 09/15/05 12:38 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

We can be drug tested if an employer deems it necessary in most cases

If you work for the US government doing jobs that dont involve the safety of other, then you cannot be drug tested.

Quote:

I read an article recently about two EMTs who were fired from a local ambulance company for testing positive for cannabis.

yes, because their job involves the safety of others. would you want some pot head EMT driving around town saying "dude, where the hospital?" while your bleeding to death in the back?

Strangely enough, the government's policies on drug testing are pretty sane. Its the private sector who are the facist assholes.

Offlinedrloomis82
Walks with Kings
 User Gallery

Re: Maintaining a psychedelic lifestyle [Re: Puppet1]
    #4666818 - 09/15/05 07:14 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Just because they have THC in their system does NOT mean that they are high on the job. Who?s to say that even EMTs cannot toke-up on the weekends? So the employers can dictate what one can and cannot do on one?s off-time? Bullshit! I understand what you?re saying, but I doubt these guys were high when they were on-duty.

In regard to your comment on the private sector, I couldn?t agree more. Fascists!

InvisibleGratos
Just thinkin anddrinkin
 User Gallery
Re: Maintaining a psychedelic lifestyle [Re: Puppet1]
    #4667052 - 09/15/05 08:13 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

yes, because their job involves the safety of others. would you want some pot head EMT driving around town saying "dude, where the hospital?" while your bleeding to death in the back?

Hmm, Id rather have someone possibly high on marijuana driving me then someone possibly drunk on alcohol. Which one is tested for and which one can you be fired for again?

As to the OP Ive often felt those who use recreational drugs in general are oppressed. It seems to me the population in general has been PREJUDICED against those who choose to use. Much like the oppression experienced by blacks brought on by prejudice.

Prejudice: Contempt prior to investigation

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order