Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
Is my hard drive going to die?
    #4661934 - 09/14/05 09:43 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

So, I've got this dell that I bought back in June 2001. Its got a maxtor 40gig in it. I also have another western digital as the slave. Anyways, in the mornings after it hasn't powered up for a few hours and cooled down, I'll press the power button, and I'll hear one of the drives spin up. Then once the BIOS finishes loading, it beeps, and either just sits there for a few seconds, then I hear the other drive spin up, and then it continues to boot normally. Then sometimes, it does the same thing and doesn't spin up and says there's an error and if I want to retry reboot or go to the BIOS setup. Then I power off and power on, and it works fine.

Is this a mobo problem or the drive getting old?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Is my hard drive going to die? [Re: daussaulit]
    #4662291 - 09/14/05 10:43 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Check the power cables, and maybe try another IDE cable if you have one (are both drives on the same cable?).

It could be getting ready to die, though. I'd make a backup of everything on the drive ASAP. I had a maxtor 20gb that did what you described a few months before it went tits up.

--------------------
You're here because you know something.
What you know you can't explain,
But you feel it;
You've felt it your entire life.
That there's something wrong with the world.
You don't know what it is, but it's there....
Like a splinter in your mind...
Driving you mad.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Is my hard drive going to die? [Re: daussaulit]
    #4663870 - 09/15/05 09:23 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Sounds like the hard drive is going. Do you hear a lot of bearing noise? Does it seem to be bogged down when it does spin up...

If you care about the data I would recommend getting another drive and making a copy sooner than later. If it gets to the point where it wont spin up at all, try putting the drive in the freezer for five minutes or so... after you put the cold drive back in the computer, let it spin up and go immediately into bios... let the drive warm up after it has started to spin before you try to boot into an OS. The freezer trick doesn't always work, but sometimes you would be surprised. (also, be careful of water condensation on the cold drive when you pull it out of the freezer... you wanna be quick getting it into the computer and spun up!)

> Is this a mobo problem or the drive getting old?

Is the mobo dual channel IDE? If so, switch the drive to the second channel (move the cable to the second plug on the mobo). If not, reverse the slave and master of the two drives on the single channel (if cable select, reverse the order of the drives on the cable. Otherwise, swap the master/slave jumpers on the two drives). This will help isolate the problem to the drive, cable, or mobo.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology