Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Agar

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinebuggers
Mushroom CloudLayin'Motherfucker
 User Gallery

how can i tell mycelium from contams on agar?
    #4660543 - 09/14/05 04:47 PM (12 years, 12 days ago)

to anybody who knows about agar:
About a week or so ago i started some multispore cultures on anti-biotic agar from a wild spore print of the species Psilocybe Caerulipes.

i've lost several to obvious contams like green mold and cobweb... whats left is white splotches all over the dishes (and i suspect it COULD be mycelium but i'm just not sure...) its not growing real fast and most contams i've seen do... is this mycelium?

it ranges from light white to thick bright white (depending on how dense the growth is) and is pretty randomly spread out through the dish... i should be able to tell by the inoculation points but after i had my dishes inoculated and taped i knocked the stack of dishes over in my glovebox and the spore solution just kinda went all over the surface of the dishes.

also, if it is indeed mycelium... how long do i let it colonize for until i cut a wedge of the best looking mycelium to put on another dish?

i'm kinda new to this and it may have been smarter to start my agar work with a species i'm more familiar with (and cleand spores!) but p. caerulipes are the fucking shit!  :eek:

thanks guys if you can set me straight

EDIT: i think part of my problem is that i've got so many different types of growth i cant tell what is what, and dont really know what p. caerulipes mycelium looks like...

Edited by buggers (09/14/05 04:57 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinePinx
Stranger
Re: how can i tell mycelium from contams on agar? [Re: buggers]
    #4660866 - 09/14/05 05:34 PM (12 years, 12 days ago)

afaik it would be best to take a part of the mycelium and tranfer it to another agar plate and repeat this until u got nice rhizomorphic strands spreading from the noc point.

btw u could bruise the myc and look for blueing.

if it is indeed mycelium you should be able to use it as soon as 1/2 or 2/3 of the plate are covered with it.

this is just what i think what i know about cultivation on agar is pretty much second hand knowlede so if it doesnt sound good to you, you d maybe better wait for another reply

greets

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild Blue Yawnder
    #4660926 - 09/14/05 05:44 PM (12 years, 12 days ago)

A picture would be nice. The best advice I can provide is; when using agar mediums for multispore isolations like you are, cut out a small square of the most aggressive mycelium from the plate of concern and then transfer the square to it's own plate of agar. You'll see different substrains from each individual spore that's germinated. Individual spore=Substrain. Some are more rhizomorphic, some have a more cottony look to them. Even if a plate becomes contaminated with a mold, you can still use good mycelium from it for a transfer to it's own plate. The rhizomorphic substrains are your best bet in most cases. See the growth in the pic i'm providing for rhizomorphic strands. Maybe Rodger or someone else will see the thread and add some.

Edited by hotnutz (09/14/05 06:06 PM)

Offlinebuggers
 User Gallery

Re: how can i tell mycelium from contams on agar? [Re: Hotnuts]
    #4660976 - 09/14/05 05:53 PM (12 years, 12 days ago)

well i know that the growth doesnt look anything like what you've got in that picture... but i can tell its not multispore either.

the only pictures i can seem to find are clones or many generations down the road from where i'm at... i hope that what i've got on my plates is myc and i can get some grains/woodchips to colonize with it eventually... and grow these fuckers!

i dont think many people have experienced p. caerulipes before.. but let me tell you its a hell of a ride... awesome visuals... doesnt fuck with your head... about the cleanest high i've ever had from mushrooms

PS. somebody with experience with isolating wild strains please chime in... i dont wanna fuck up because i used the one print i have left of this species to make the syringe i used to knock up these plates. there are a few other prints out there with Anno and MJshroomer. but they're awful busy people. so i've taken it upon myself to get a shroom to grow and get a clean print off it...
if i do succeed who are the best people to send prints to in order to get a species into circulation?

Edited by buggers (09/14/05 06:00 PM)

Offlinebuggers
 User Gallery

#4661125 - 09/14/05 06:28 PM (12 years, 12 days ago)

bump and grind

Offlinejohnjohnandjamal
Stranger

#4661211 - 09/14/05 06:53 PM (12 years, 12 days ago)

I really hope you can do this because I'd love to eventually try this strain! Please, someone help this man!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Agar

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation