Home | Community | Message Board

SoulSpeciosa Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblecarbonhoots
old hand

Loc: BC Canada
USA turning point
    #4658009 - 09/14/05 03:08 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

US Turning Point?

American Right may have met its match in hurricane crisis.

Dateline: Monday, September 12, 2005

by Linda McQuaig

When terrorists struck the World Trade Center, George W Bush and his handlers quickly adopted a muscular approach to the crisis. Not so with Katrina.

While 9/11 prompted the administration to unleash the full resources of America in response, the deadly Katrina crisis had trouble catching Bush's attention. But then 9/11 was quickly spotted as the perfect justification for what Republicans wanted to do anyway: mobilize the US for war and enhance the power of the military-industrial complex.

15 000 desperate people who fled to the convention centre were cared for days by a single doctor who showed up on his own.

The Katrina disaster offers no such opportunities. On the contrary, it cries out for massive aid that threatens to drain resources from Republican pet causes like war-making and tax-cutting for the rich.

Indeed, Katrina has the potential to finally alert the American people to the dangers of the right's ideology — an ideology that rejects the notion of the "common good" and instead promotes an unbridled free market where everyone looks out for himself.

For decades the right has been pumping money into think tanks where this "every man for himself" ideology is gussied up and presented as a beneficial force that will lift all mankind to the state of prosperity depicted on TV.

But the Katrina fiasco shows us what "every man for himself" really creates: a society of such rampant inequality that, even as a devastating hurricane rushes in from the sea and the affluent depart, tens of thousands who are too poor, too sick or too old are simply abandoned and left stranded on rooftops as water rises around them.

This immense tragedy has been years in the making, as the right's ideology — implemented with particular gusto by the Bush administration — has redirected national wealth to the rich, leaving public programs, infrastructure and millions of people badly in need.

Its imprint is clearly visible in the Katrina saga. Despite the well-documented danger of a major hurricane hitting low-lying New Orleans, the White House slashed federal funding for preventative flood control and lifted a ban on developers destroying the wetlands protecting city. It also downsized and privatized the federal disaster management agency, FEMA, handing it over to inexperienced cronies who cut funding for a nationwide program aimed at reducing the impact of disasters by properly preparing for them.

So minimal was FEMA's preparation for Katrina that, despite two days warning, the agency had developed no real plan for helping those trapped in New Orleans. As CNN's Anderson Cooper reported, 15 000 desperate people who fled to the convention centre were cared for days by a single doctor who showed up on his own, equipped only with a stethoscope and some medicine he'd looted from a pharmacy on his way over. Who needs planning?

This could be a turning point — just as the Walkerton tragedy finally alerted the people of Ontario to the dangers of the program-slashing, right-wing ideology of the Mike Harris government.

In Katrina and its awesome horrors, the right may have finally met its match.

http://www.straightgoods.ca/ViewFeature5.cfm?REF=398

--------------------
  -I'd rather have a frontal lobotomy than a bottle in front of me

CANADIAN CENTER FOR POLICY ALTERNATIVES

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinemuggzy
Stranger
Re: USA turning point [Re: carbonhoots]
    #4658355 - 09/14/05 05:19 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

What was that Doctor's name? I'll vote for him in 2008.

OfflineProsgeopax
Jaded, yethopeful?

Loc: Appearing at a mall near ...
    #4658925 - 09/14/05 11:43 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Linda McQuaig said:
9/11 was quickly spotted as the perfect justification for what Republicans wanted to do anyway: mobilize the US for war and enhance the power of the military-industrial complex.

True enough.

Quote:

On the contrary, it cries out for massive aid that threatens to drain resources from Republican pet causes like war-making

I guess this dummy hasn't noticed all the aid already being thrown at the situation. Said aid is not taking resources from war-making but by going deeper into debt (taking resources from future tax payers and expanding the money supply - a tax on everyone)

Quote:

and tax-cutting for the rich.

Tax cuts are for everyone WHO PAYS TAXES, not just the rich, as I and many MIDDLE CLASS taxpayers will attest to. There is nothing wrong with cutting taxes, the problem is when government spending does not decrease, in such cases any 'tax cuts' are merely a shifting of tax burden to future tax payers and/or all holders of dollars as the money supply is inflated.

Quote:

the dangers of the right's ideology; an ideology that rejects the notion of the "common good"

Arguably, national defense is one of the few 'common goods' there actually are (air and water being relatively free from pollution are others). Common good as generally used by the left is a nebulous concept that can be used to justify just about any thing they want.

Quote:

and instead promotes an unbridled free market where everyone looks out for himself.

Corporatism (which is what the Republicans actually promote) is NOT the promotion of an unbridled free market. Their rhetoric constantly addresses 'the free market' but their actions are something else which speaks louder than words.

Quote:

But the Katrina fiasco shows us what "every man for himself" really creates

Actually, Katrina shows the idiocy of depending on the government. Remember, a Democratic Black Mayor and a Democratic Woman Governor were in charge and responsible to evacuate people and as first responders. But of course this out of this woman's narrow view, she can only see it all as Bush's fault.

Quote:

This immense tragedy has been years in the making, as the right's ideology implemented with particular gusto by the Bush administration has redirected national wealth to the rich

The burden of supporting the government falls largely on the middle class as the rich do not exists in great enough numbers to fund government largess even if all their wealth was confiscated. For the record, the poor consume more government services and other resources (and hence tax dollars) than they pay out. There is no way that those living on the government dole can have their 'wealth' redirected to anybody.

Too bad the author is too blindly partisan to see the failure of her own kind. Does this author (or any leftist) realize that Bush has not vetoed a single spending bill and has overseen the largest growth in government since LBJ? There are problems with BOTH major political parties and on ALL levels of government. I really wish more people would pull their heads out.

"My God,... the left wing is as robotic as the right wing."
- Robert Anton Wilson

--------------------
Money doesn't grow on trees, but deficits do grow under Bushes.

You can accept, reject, or examine and test any new idea that comes to you. The wise man chooses the third way.
- Tom Willhite

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to change my opinions should I become aware of additional facts, the falsification of information or different perspectives. Articles written by others which I post may not necessarily reflect my opinions in part or in whole, my opinions may be in direct opposition, the topic may be one on which I have yet to formulate an opinion or have doubts about, an article may be posted solely with the intent to stimulate discussion or contemplation.

InvisibleAnnapurna1
liberal pussy
Female User Gallery
Loc: innsmouth..MA
    #4658959 - 09/14/05 11:51 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

tragically..at this point it would take at the very least a major meteor collision to bring down the US radical right...while there might be a few news polls that are not favourable specifically towards bush..support for his policy agenda remains widespread.. one need only look at this very board for proof...

--------------------

"anchor blocks counteract the process of pontiprobation..while omalean globes regulize the pressure"...

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: USA turning point [Re: Annapurna1]
    #4660764 - 09/14/05 05:16 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

And all it takes to bring down the left is the windstorm of bilge emanating from the likes of Boxer, Pelosi, Kennedy, Reid, Dean, Biden, Schumer, Rangel, Sharpton, Jackson, Hilary......need I go on? We love them and hope they never change.

--------------------

InvisibleLos_Pepes
Stranger

Re: USA turning point [Re: zappaisgod]
    #4660947 - 09/14/05 05:48 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Even a meteor can't stop the Republicans. They are invinceable.

InvisibleAnnapurna1
liberal pussy
Female User Gallery
Loc: innsmouth..MA
Re: USA turning point [Re: zappaisgod]
    #4661534 - 09/14/05 08:18 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
And all it takes to bring down the left is the windstorm of bilge emanating from the likes of Boxer, Pelosi, Kennedy, Reid, Dean, Biden, Schumer, Rangel, Sharpton, Jackson, Hilary......need I go on? We love them and hope they never change.

hilary isnt the left...otherwise..youve proven my point exactly...

--------------------

"anchor blocks counteract the process of pontiprobation..while omalean globes regulize the pressure"...

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: USA turning point [Re: Annapurna1]
    #4661560 - 09/14/05 08:23 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Now this is fucking history. zappaisgod and annapurna in agreement. Has anyone checked the zodiac? A syzygy has nothing on this.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion