Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineAaronEvil
The GuitarVillain
Male

Loc: California
Let me vent for a minute
    #4656913 - 09/13/05 10:25 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Alright, I know everyone has heard of Hurricane Katrina and the amount of time it took for anyone to respond to it (mainly the government). One thing that bothers me is people who are trying to play the race card on this one. The people saying Bush was slow to respond because he hates blacks. He wasnt slow because he hates blacks, he was slow because he was on vacation and thought the hurricane would work itself out. We all know that when he is on vacation he ignores all evidence of distruction put in front of him. If you need another example go back to 9/11 and the terrorist attacks. Anyway, my point is this, no one prepared for this, the government blew it off, and a lot of people that died in New Orleans had never seen a class 4 or 5 hurricane in their life time. Its been about 3 generations since the last major hurricane. Dont play the race card, play the ignorance card.

--------------------

There is not a lot of difference between a fox hole and a grave; but knowing that you dug your ditch and climbed in anyway.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

Re: Let me vent for a minute [Re: AaronEvil]
    #4657045 - 09/13/05 10:53 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Play any card you want, it really all boils down to personal responsibility. Everyone knows that if you depend on someone else, anyone else, for anything, you are bound to get burned.

This will not be the last lesson on dependence that americans get in our lifetime, mark my words.

OfflineProsgeopax
Jaded, yethopeful?

Loc: Appearing at a mall near ...
Re: Let me vent for a minute [Re: Catalysis]
    #4657064 - 09/13/05 11:00 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

:thumbup:

--------------------
Money doesn't grow on trees, but deficits do grow under Bushes.

You can accept, reject, or examine and test any new idea that comes to you. The wise man chooses the third way.
- Tom Willhite

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to change my opinions should I become aware of additional facts, the falsification of information or different perspectives. Articles written by others which I post may not necessarily reflect my opinions in part or in whole, my opinions may be in direct opposition, the topic may be one on which I have yet to formulate an opinion or have doubts about, an article may be posted solely with the intent to stimulate discussion or contemplation.

OfflineAaronEvil
The GuitarVillain
Male

#4658068 - 09/14/05 03:29 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I totally agree. The "ignorance card" was refering to personal responsibility. People were ignorant to the things they needed to do in order to prepare for their own well being and safety. That is their fault not the governments.

I mean, lets face it, no matter where a person lives there is some sort of natural disaster that can strike. I live in San Diego, California and I know that an earthquake will hit eventually and that it can be devistating... that is why my family and I are prepared with food, water, and pretty much all the other supplies we need to be self sufficient for at least a week, possibily even two.

I just wish other people used logic when it came to their own lives because then they would live and I could see something important on the news.

--------------------

There is not a lot of difference between a fox hole and a grave; but knowing that you dug your ditch and climbed in anyway.

InvisibleDirtMcgirt
in a pinch
 User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
Re: Let me vent for a minute [Re: AaronEvil]
    #4658407 - 09/14/05 05:48 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Speaking of ignorance...

The whole crux of the issue is alot of people CAN'T afford to stockpile a few weeks worth of food, just in case. I work 40 hours a week doing demolition, have no dependants, and I still can't keep 2 week's worth of groceries in my fridge for right now, or have a place to stockpile that amount of supplies in my shoebox LA apartment. (mommy and daddy won't have a shelter for me either. Where is YOUR personal responsibility?)

I don't expect shit from any level of government in this situation. If/when an earthquake levels Los Angeles (God willing) I will take personal responsibility for my own stomach (and anybody elses I can help afterwards). I will rob Von's, Food4less, Ralph's, and Albertson's and they can send me a fucking bill afterwards. Any ignorant rich bastard standing by misusing the phrase "personal responsibility" will get a jug of water to the side of the head and my worn sneaker up his ass.

This isn't a race issue OR a personal responsibilty issue. Get over yourself...

--------------------
"And we, inhabitants of the great coral of the Cosmos, believe the atom (which still we cannot see) to be full matter, whereas, it too, like everything else, is but an embroidery of voids in the Void, and we give the name of being, dense and even eternal, to that dance of inconsistencies, that infinite extension that is identified with absolute Nothingness and that spins from its own non-being the illusion of everything."

OnlineAsanteA
light your candle on my love
Male User Gallery

Loc: Right Here - Right Now
Re: Let me vent for a minute [Re: DirtMcgirt]
    #4658435 - 09/14/05 06:03 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

I don't expect shit from any level of government in this situation. If/when an earthquake levels Los Angeles (God willing) I will take personal responsibility for my own stomach (and anybody elses I can help afterwards). I will rob Von's, Food4less, Ralph's, and Albertson's and they can send me a fucking bill afterwards. Any ignorant rich bastard standing by misusing the phrase "personal responsibility" will get a jug of water to the side of the head and my worn sneaker up his ass.

:thumbup:

It's a bit crudely put but yes, if you are in the situations these poor people were in you would "loot" to get what you needed and if you didnt you'd be one of the casualties pretty soon. Its hot and humid, ideal circumstances to get dehydrated andf even more deranged pretty fast.

I would try to get TF out of there but I would absolutely loot to get the supplies I needed to make it, or make it out.

Its great to not have to depend on the Government but if you're a taxpayer the least you can expect is some f*cking aid by your government when a major disaster strikes. Or that they'd at least let international aid come to the rescue right away.

When disaster strikes (let's say an Al Qaida nuke levelling most of your city) you hide in your house until your Gov't says its sadfe to come out or their rescuers physically help you out.
That's the deal you in a first-world nation, who pays tons of taxes, have a right to.

--------------------
CLICK ONE -->  :redpill:  :bluepill:  <-- GO PLACES
SEARCH ENGINE  SUPPORT TICKETS  STORE  SPONSORS/VENDORS  AMANI
PSYCHOSIS, SYNCHRONICITIES, SHAMANISM & THE SUPERNATURAL WA&F

From the Outcasts to the Incrowd, from the Clueless to the Helpful, it takes the whole Shroomery to help a n00b

InvisibleDirtMcgirt
in a pinch
 User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
Re: Let me vent for a minute [Re: Asante]
    #4658485 - 09/14/05 06:45 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Its great to not have to depend on the Government but if you're a taxpayer the least you can expect is some f*cking aid by your government when a major disaster strikes. Or that they'd at least let international aid come to the rescue right away.

Everybody who lives outside of the nomadic tribes in Mongolia rely on their gov for something. No matter what there vainity tells them.

So I totally agree and this is/has been already in place for the most part. The problem in NO, in my opinion, was the lack of proper use of these governmental tools already in place by our inept leaders (who just happen to originate from the business aristocracy, our "best and brightest," as the right would argue). However in the case of my sprawled out, poverty stricken, immigrant ghetto city of 4 million (10 million in LA county) I don't expect alot of help 24 hours afterwards. The police barely have control here without a natural disaster (except the one already happening-human fallacy)

In NO the shotty dykes that caused the problem in the first place should/could have been fixed years ago. You'd think that would be important for a city below sea level. There are parallels to this situation in every city in the US I have no doubt.

My gov, on every level, really lacks foresight; among other things....

--------------------
"And we, inhabitants of the great coral of the Cosmos, believe the atom (which still we cannot see) to be full matter, whereas, it too, like everything else, is but an embroidery of voids in the Void, and we give the name of being, dense and even eternal, to that dance of inconsistencies, that infinite extension that is identified with absolute Nothingness and that spins from its own non-being the illusion of everything."

Edited by DirtMcgirt (09/14/05 06:53 AM)

OfflineAaronEvil
The GuitarVillain
Male

#4660023 - 09/14/05 03:07 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I want to be clear... said they needed to take personal responsibility, not do exactely what I have done to prepare for a disaster. Im not saying they should stockpile food and water, I know a lot of them are poor and can barely get by. What I am saying is that they could have done more to prepare. If that means evacuate, then evacuate. If you dont have a vehicle walk. They had a few days to get out of the city before the hurricane actually hit. I saw the hurricane on the news about 4 days before it hit. In 4 days you could get out of the city. I took a bike ride to Los Angelos in less than 24 hours.

You all heard about the San Diego fires from a couple years ago. We didnt know how close it would come to our house but as soon as we heard it was headed in our direction (about 2 days in advance) we grabbed important things we had and left. All I am saying is even with a 24 hour notice they could have made it out if they really wanted to.

As for the looting, I have no problem with that as long as no one gets shot or stabbed in the process.

--------------------

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

#4661309 - 09/14/05 07:14 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

The whole crux of the issue is alot of people CAN'T afford to stockpile a few weeks worth of food, just in case. I work 40 hours a week doing demolition, have no dependants, and I still can't keep 2 week's worth of groceries in my fridge for right now, or have a place to stockpile that amount of supplies in my shoebox LA apartment. (mommy and daddy won't have a shelter for me either. Where is YOUR personal responsibility?)

I don't completely buy that. I have been poor, i have been jobless, and i even went homeless for a few months. $3 worth of raman noodles and a few jugs of tap water go a LONG way when you don't have anything else, trust me.

The real tragady are the old and the young who *actually* could not help being dependent...however, there are already negligent homicide charges pending in some of those cases.

I don't mean to sound callus and I know there are tons of exceptions but poor people can still prepare for emergencies.

Invisibletak
geo's henchman
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: nowhereland
    #4662306 - 09/14/05 10:47 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

$3 of ramen noodles is 30+ meals!

Not to mention there is a public transportation.

If a storm was coming, and it was raining outside, and I had no transportation, I would probably just stay home too.

I guess it all comes down to whether you give a shit or not, and im sure no one expected it to be as bad as it was, but fuck them. While I think the government could have acted faster, especially when I know they take about $230 out of my check a WEEK in taxes. I would like to know that some of that was used in helping save my life, however fuck them again.

Small children, and the elderly...sure save them. Parents and family should have taken proper precautions. But for everyone else, mess with the bull and get the horns... If it was me, I probably would have stayed, and would have probably been looting aswell. Someone's gonna steal it, why shouldn't it be me?

I hope someone nails some government officials balls to a cross for this. I also hope the people get pissed off and riot. I also hope we get more hurricanes soon. Cause the reality of it is, I am sitting in my nice apartment with the AC set to 70 degrees, just ordered some delivery pizza, and none of this shit matters to me. It is very entertaining, dont get me wrong...but i honestly dont give a shit. I feel bad for people who have lost so much, including loved ones, but thats for them to deal with...

Maybe next time, the people living in New Orleans will relize that a hurricane hitting the underground city will destroy them, and they need to make preperation.

Maybe next time, the government will relize that a hurricane hitting the underground city will destroy them, and they need to make preperation.

I knew it would happen.

--------------------
The DJ's took pills to stay awake and play for seven days.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion