Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebzbzbz
journeyman

Loc: oregon
astoria azures
    #458736 - 11/14/01 10:48 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

last saturday went to astoria and found some azures. very fun. havent tried them yet, but they stained jet black and the spore prints were the right color. saw some kids searching near the maritime museum and had to laugh. i found about 15 in another part of astoria.

we had a good storm this week and hoping friday will bring some great results. will try to bring the digital camera!

tootles
bzbzbz

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: astoria azures [Re: bzbzbz]
    #459421 - 11/15/01 02:49 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Stained jet black? Erm, don't galenerias stain jet black?

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
Re: astoria azures [Re: bzbzbz]
    #463353 - 11/19/01 11:28 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Be careful! Azures will stain a nice blue color, I cant say I've seen too many dark enough to call black. Galerina's have a rusty color spore print. Have you ever found Azures before?

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

Offlineazurescen
meanderinemushie muncher
Loc: bellingham wa
Re: astoria azures [Re: Joshua]
    #464410 - 11/20/01 10:34 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

too bad the museums patches all have concrete over them. azures wont stain black, indigo blue is what you need. there sure are a lot of meanie badddd lookalikes in astoria. at least a dozen that I can visualize right now.

--------------------
if the sign says dont pick the mushrooms, you should probably pick them

OfflineLevi7
old hand
Re: astoria azures [Re: azurescen]
    #464587 - 11/20/01 01:53 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Not to be contradictory, but I've picked cyans that, after about 5 days in the fridge, turned black. Now, the black color is not a jet black, but when the ingigo-blue bruising is literally all over the mushroom, the blue doesn't show up unless it's being reflected from the light. In this case, the color is consistent of black with bllue tinge.
Even Paul Stamets' book shows a pic of a Ps. azurescens with Indigo-blue bruising that almost looks black!
Look, if the color blue is deep enough, it can look black. There are many people that I've given mushrooms to that I've explained that the mushrooms bruised so much they look black.
Aside from that, Stay cool!-Levi7.l

OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Loc: GA
Re: astoria azures [Re: Levi7]
    #464749 - 11/20/01 04:59 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Oh yeah, psilos will definitely go black after a while, even the field cubies I pick here stain so dark they are black, its quite common with copelandias. Copelandias will actually only turn blue for about 30-45 minutes, and then they are pure black where injured!

Still, its a good idea to check that spore print and make sure what you picked is indeed Ps. azurescens.

LK,

--------------------

Offlineazurescen
meanderinemushie muncher
Re: astoria azures [Re: Lizard King]
    #465549 - 11/21/01 11:11 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

I would like to point out that the black is bacterial and not related to the bluing except that point of injury provides a convernient pathway for these pitting bacteria to enter into the mushroom.
once said flesh turns BLACK(NOT DEEP INDIGO, REALLY BLACK) the flesh begins to break down, and if this progresses, the flesh will decompose, and any of this deliquiescent flesh that touches healthy specimins will promote decomposing enzymes in these healthy shrooms

--------------------

OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

#465572 - 11/21/01 11:51 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

No, I know what your talking about though azurescen. I find very old weilii that have black stems that are rotted and even slimy sometimes, I've also seen wild cubes do this too. I'm talking about picking a perfectly healthy mushroom in its prime and a few hours later its black where injured. First its blue, then a little darker blue, and even darker until it eventually appears black. Like I said, wild copelandia almost always do this when injured, and in only about 20-30 minutes!

Nevermind, I just re-read your post and saw where you said "black, not really deep indigo but black". In that case your right, I wouldn't say its a true pure jet black, but I still call it black because thats what it looks like to me. Maybe you can call it deep indigo, but I call it black :)

--------------------

Edited by Lizard King (11/21/01 11:57 AM)

OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Re: astoria azures [Re: Lizard King]
    #465577 - 11/21/01 12:01 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Like this weilii here. Ps. weilii often has a black cap, like the one below, and in this pic you can see the stem is a slightly different color than the cap, the cap is true black and the stem still has a blue hue to it. Not the best example, but still shows how close to black they can stain, I've seen them blacker than this before though, especially them blue meanies in Fla :)

--------------------

OfflineLevi7
old hand
    #465606 - 11/21/01 12:39 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Hi!
Thanks, azurescen, for adding the bacterial "blackening" of the mushrooms. I totally agree with your point, man!
I mentioned that sometimes a cyan will bruise blue so intense that it actually looks black! Hehe, this is relative to your point of the bruising being a dark Indigo blue color. Once the tint of the color blue is so darkly intense, it is almost a black color. Although, if a shroom hunter were to tilt the Indigo-blue bruised mushroom just right in the light, hints of blue tinge will reflect. This is an awesome auradescence if you dig that sort of thing! hehe!
Stay cool and bruise the blue outta those bad boys!-Levi7.

Offlinedoo
addict -crazy as a shithouse rat
 User Gallery

Loc: Slingshit, China
    #468217 - 11/24/01 08:47 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

I know this is an old thread,but I've been away from the computer for awhile,so I'm trying to catch up.
Just thought I'd mention that Hygrophorus conica will bruise black,and I wouldn't eat this species.
I have a pic of this species somewhere.I'll try to post it later.

doo

--------------------
- Arguing with a woman, is like trying to blow out a light bulb-

OfflineLevi7
old hand
Re: astoria azures [Re: doo]
    #468261 - 11/24/01 10:13 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks for mentioning that, Doo!
Hehe, I wasn't even thinking of the Witch's Hat when I read this thread.
I've read some reports and possible rumors of Hogrophorus conica being a "magic mushroom" before, although no reputable references have ever been made on this. Last year sometime, I read a thread on the Lycaeum that involved someone or someone's friend having eaten specimens of that mushroom and got a sort of "narcotic buzz". The author of that post said that the person felt that they couldn't stand up and continue walking, as if they were under the influence of a narcotic. I remember MJ responding to that post and I can't remember his input.
I also remember somewhere that Paul Stamets couldn't see why this mushroom wouldn't have some sort of "active" quality. Please don't quote me, as I am not positive that it was Paul Stamets that said this and am only recalling things that I "think" I've read! hehe!
I myself have only run into the Witch's Hat once. It is such an awesome looking mushroom before it gets ill on you! hehe!
It's one of the coolest I've yet to run across! OH, Yeah! :)
Stay cool!-Levi7.

Offlineazurescen
meanderinemushie muncher
    #469133 - 11/25/01 10:48 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

I have a special kind of color blindness that allows me to see subtleties in color more than most people. When I look at something green, I see the blue and yellow that make it up. Someone else I know with this type(a much older person) was a scout in vietnam because camouflage doesnt work, I can pick it out in an instant. Maybe thats why I have picked 2 dry lb's of cyans, a dry qp of azures and a qp of libs this season. No matter what, I always see the darkening reaction as shades of blue, blue green(baeos and cubies sometimes) or deep indigo blue, they never look black to me.

--------------------

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #469992 - 11/26/01 12:18 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

I agree with Levi on this.

Dark Indigo Blue.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies