Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineXUL
vivacious
Male User Gallery
im wrecking my life...
    #4654406 - 09/13/05 12:43 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Im sitting here, I just skipped class which I needed to go to so I can get good grades. If I dont make it through college Im gonna have to pay back thousands of dollers of student loans on a minimum wage salery, which you myswell call it impossible. Its only my sophmore year and Im in the -20 thousand dollers.

I cant seem to take this shit seriously, even when I try. I always say to myself, cmon man, pull yourself together and do your work, and excell, but instead I sit my ass on my computer all day. It seems as if im very lazy. Its not even that im unmotivated, but im just lazy. Its so easy to say im gonna get up and go for a run and do my school work, but I never do it.

Can anyone else relate at one time or another? How can I get unlazy and start to do well in school?

thanks

--------------------
Do not wait to strike until the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking.
-W.B. Yeats

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineShattrdHarlequin
Stranger

Re: im wrecking my life... [Re: XUL]
    #4654464 - 09/13/05 12:56 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Xul.... I was at this point a couple of years ago...... As inconvenient as it may seem, what did it for me is a break from school. After a year of not going I realized how good it was for my brain and my being in general.... and now I once again love going and try to excell for my own knowledge.... not just to get good grades

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #4654467 - 09/13/05 12:58 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

XUL said:
Im sitting here, I just skipped class which I needed to go to so I can get good grades. If I dont make it through college Im gonna have to pay back thousands of dollers of student loans on a minimum wage salery, which you myswell call it impossible. Its only my sophmore year and Im in the -20 thousand dollers.

I cant seem to take this shit seriously, even when I try. I always say to myself, cmon man, pull yourself together and do your work, and excell, but instead I sit my ass on my computer all day. It seems as if im very lazy. Its not even that im unmotivated, but im just lazy. Its so easy to say im gonna get up and go for a run and do my school work, but I never do it.

Can anyone else relate at one time or another? How can I get unlazy and start to do well in school?

I understand where you are coming from. I dropped out after two years of college. I dropped out because I hated it there, not because I was lazy. Thankfully, things worked out for me. There are other people I know who have dropped out and things have worked out for them. But, things didn't work out for some of the college drop-outs that I know.

What kind of personality do you have when it comes to getting stuff done that you don't want to do? Most people are able to trudge through it and get it done, but I absolutely refuse to do something I hate (even if there are consequences). When I think back to my college English class of seven years ago, I still laugh about how I didn't do my final research paper. I failed the class because of it, but I am so glad I avoided the annoyance of doing that fucking paper. But, I am a weird person...

Are you going to school for something you like? Do you realize the ramifications of entering the work world with no qualifications to do anything? Do you know what it is like to struggle economically? Here's a hint - it IS NOT fun.

If you have somewhat of an interest in what you are doing and you think you can make it through, then stay in and finish. If you know in your heart that you are not going to finish then drop out immediately and stop wasting money and time. If I could go back in time I would have NEVER gone to college. I wasted two years and 30,000 dollars. College is not for everybody.

What do you really want to do in your life?

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #4654511 - 09/13/05 01:08 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I am 26 and I have been out in the real world. I have worked, gone to school, and run my own business. I think I have some authority to give you advice and tell you about some of the observations that I have made.

Here are some things to consider:

1. In my opinion, college is not worth the money unless you are getting a very specialized degree that is necessary in the field in which you want to go into. Getting a degree in liberal arts may be a great mind expanding experience, but you won't make any money with it. A lot of the college graduates I know got useless degrees and they make barely any money (and they have $60,000 in loans to pay back)

2. The people that I know who went to trade school often earn as much or more than the college graduates I know. Trade school only takes about two years instead of four years and you don't have to take all of the filler classes that you do in college.

3. People that I know who were very into something, got very good at it on their own (computers, machining, etc...), and didn't bother with school are now rolling in money.

OfflineBlack_Dragon
Stranger
Male

Loc: North Carolina, USA
Re: im wrecking my life... [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #4654552 - 09/13/05 01:15 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Were you like this in highskool? If not then what did you do to stay focused on your work there? If not, act like your ass is going to get beat by your dad if you dont get your skool work done... and he prolly should beat ur ass if you waste 20,000$...

--------------------
Signed...
-THE DEVIL-

InvisibleBoom
Supervisor
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Cypress Creek
    #4654608 - 09/13/05 01:25 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I was in the same boat; I sat around and didn't go to class, and by the time I realized I really needed to go,I didn't want to show up as the kid who no one has seen in weeks.

I failed out of school, where I was going for free. Then I had to pay my way at the community college for two years, until I could get back into the school that kicked me out of.

Basically, once you start missing a bunch of classes (there are some that you can miss, you'll get a feel for those) you WILL fuck up your semester. Just suck it up, and go to class.

OfflineXUL
vivacious
Male User Gallery
Re: im wrecking my life... [Re: Black_Dragon]
    #4654637 - 09/13/05 01:30 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I went to an all boys boarding school on a 40 thousand a year scholarship. I sucked at school so much because I was always worn out from swimming at 5 in the morning and again at night.

I have about zero study skills, I am an art major though. I just need to get my ass in gear, I think my computer is the problem. I dont want to get rid of it, but It distracts me too much.

--------------------
Do not wait to strike until the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking.
-W.B. Yeats

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #4654689 - 09/13/05 01:40 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

XUL said:
I am an art major though.

Oh Jesus...you might as well wipe your ass with that art degree unless you are going to be an art teacher. You aren't going to make any money off of it.

OfflineGillette
Jaded
 User Gallery

Re: im wrecking my life... [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #4654909 - 09/13/05 02:35 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Move away from the computer.

Turn it off. Unplugg it. Move to were you cannot see it. Do some work!

Seriously, your gonna have to do it at some point, its either that, or quit.

I know how you feel I'm in my 4th year of university, I'm a terrible procrastinator, but I know that if I don't get my ass in gear, I'm gonna feel like a real ass, when I realize I'm in debt for nothing.

Just start. As soon as you start, it'll be easy yo keep going.

--------------------
~Earth is the Insane Asylum of the Universe~

A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

Offlinestefan
work in progress

Loc: The Netherlands
Re: im wrecking my life... [Re: Gillette]
    #4655098 - 09/13/05 03:12 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Just start. As soon as you start, it'll be easy yo keep going.

yes!

I was a master procastrinator myself :smirk:

just start doing homework or whatever every day, after a few days you're used to it and it gets easier and easier. make it an habit and then it'll be easy to put your ass down to do some homework (at least a lot easier than now) :thumbup:

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #4655638 - 09/13/05 05:19 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

You are sensitive to BS. Quit now before you're another 20 grand in debt. You can make it without college. I have and I have plenty of everything now.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
    #4656483 - 09/13/05 08:30 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

If you quit school without something better waiting on the other side, there's a good chance that you can really wreck your life. I'd suggest dropping that art major, and pursuing something practical. I have so many friends that went to school with me and pursued art, history, et al, and it's really unfortunate to see them working at minimum wage even today, with a degree. Choosing a field of interest to you is respectable, but if it's not applicable towards a good career, then you're just hurting yourself.

Take the advice of those suggesting you can make it without a degree very lightly. Like I said earlier, unless you have something much better to work towards, college is your best shot at making a life for yourself. For every one of those people who made it w/out an education (they are few and far between) I can name 50 uneducated people I know personally who are working machine shop jobs paycheck-to-paycheck and would kill for the chance to go back, to do it all over again, and finish their education.

I've lived on both sides of the coin, and a halfway respectable degree is definitely the path you want at this point. By that, I mean a useful 4 year degree. It's hard and long and very shitty, but you must suck it up and keep going.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being