Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Agar

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleSkunkhuffer
Strangler

Oyster Spores - High Prices
    #4654040 - 09/13/05 09:56 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I've been considering growing any of the Oyster mushrooms, and have looked around on numerous websites for spore syringes, but DAAAAMN.... They're more expensive than CUBENSIS syringes. WTF?!

I'm assuming any website associated with psychedelic mushrooms are going to carry more expensive prices for any spores, no matter species. (I might be wrong?) So, does anyone know any site out there dedicated to just selling Edibles/Gourmet/Medicinal spores? A syringe is preferable since Ive never worked with a print. But if I had to, I probably could manage with a print.

Prices are the same all over? Hmm... Anyone willing to donate a syringe or print(see above)?

Thanks in advance.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAiko Aiko
 User Gallery

Loc: Lazy River Road
Re: Oyster Spores - High Prices [Re: Skunkhuffer]
    #4655259 - 09/13/05 03:54 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I have yet to see oyster "spore syringes". All I've come across are live cultures. Their only a few dollars more than cubes. What sites are you talking about?

--------------------
Man says, "God, show me and I will believe." God says, "Believe and I will show you."

Offlineeris
underground
Male User Gallery

Loc: North East, USA
    #4663899 - 09/15/05 09:37 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Live cultures are a good way to start with a species like oyster.
All of the cultures that I have had were either traded to me, given to me, or made via tissue samples from wild or store bought specimens. You can purchase a small amount of oysters in a store for cheap, then clone them to agar.. this way you won't have to spend money on the culture or spores.... this assumes you have some agar plates or tubes though. If you don't, it's a good investment.

--------------------
Immortal / Temporarily Retired
The OG Thread Killer
My mushroom hunting gallery

InvisibleSkunkhuffer
Strangler

Re: Oyster Spores - High Prices [Re: eris]
    #4668929 - 09/16/05 11:07 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

eris, thanks for the info.  I've never done anything agar related, but do know how.  First thing I would need is to find some oysters in a store. Secondly, and most important is a glove box.  I don't exactly plan on doing a ton of mushroom work, so the live tissue/agar route would be more expensive.  :smile:  But it IS a really good idea to note for future reference.

Still looking for a cheap print, live culture, or spore syringe. Anyone know where I can get one for cheap? Anyone willing to donate anything?  As soon as I'm done using the supplies I have, if I still dont have some kind of oyster paraphenalia, I'll buy a culture from Sporeworks or something.

Adios

Offlineeris
underground
Male User Gallery

Loc: North East, USA
    #4677493 - 09/18/05 02:03 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Sorry to get off of the subject of spores again but I just wanted to mention...
next time I find some oysters (maybe even today if I go out on a hunt like i have planned), I can just send you a piece of culture in a test tube or something, free of charge, if you'd like.
The whole process is not really as hard as it first seems. The literature on growing mushrooms tends to be a bit overkill on the whole sterility issue. They sometimes make it seem almost impossible to grow without contams.
I remember the first tissue culture that I ever made - it was with some fresh shiitake fruits. All that I had was a sterile test tube of agar and a knife. I just heated up the knife under a flame, tore the mushroom by hand to expose the clean inside and struggled but managed to cut some pieces. I must have had the lid off of that tube for over a whole minute and swore the whole thing was gonna get contaminated.
The knife i was using was horribly dull so I also figured I was just rubbing contams on since it was taking so much effort to cut a piece off.
it turned out I made about 5 cultures and only one of them was lost to a green mold contam. Pretty much used crude supplies, home made agar, and no sort of glove box or sterile room.
Well, anyways sorry for the long post and stories.. i don't want to derail your thread.... just felt like sharing.

--------------------
Immortal / Temporarily Retired
The OG Thread Killer
My mushroom hunting gallery

OfflineMycophilic
thrill seeker
Loc: WA, USA
Re: Oyster Spores - High Prices [Re: eris]
    #4695468 - 09/22/05 04:03 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

i get wild oysters from time to time, i can try to let you know when i get some more

OfflineMrKlown
Doh!
 User Gallery

Loc: Eastern Kentucky
Re: Oyster Spores - High Prices [Re: Mycophilic]
    #4703522 - 09/24/05 03:07 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I have wild oysters growing outside right now here. I think that is what you are talking about anyway... those white colored shrooms that come out of a tree without a stem and is just half a cap? Not sure if that is what it is but I think so.

--------------------
If at all possible, involve a cow.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Agar

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms