Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Dehydrator, Perlite, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineAsazman
Stranger
Please critique my plan!
    #4651988 - 09/12/05 09:37 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I've never grown before, but have been planning to for some time now. I'm at school right now and live in an apartment. I have free drawers and space under windows to put the fungus, so I don't think I'll have a problem. Rather than purchase everything online, I am going to wait until I go home for fall break where I know where to get all the goods for cheap (and a pressure cooker for that matter). Here is my list of things I plan on purchasing and/or retrieving:

Spores (of course)
pressure cooker
regs to go under the jars in the pressure cooker
Vermiculite
Perlite
Brown Rice Flour
half a dozen or so pint non-tapered jars
large mixing bowl
measuring cup
lighter for sterilization
container for fruiting (rubber maid?)
clear plastic bag
spray bottle
Desiccants (damp rid)

1st question: Fall break is a month away so I am going to go ahead and purchase the spores. Where/how should I store them?

2nd question: for the fruiting container, I am thinking of canibalizing a large trashcan and only using the bottom section of it (two feet high maybe), now can I stick all four or five of the cakes in there at once? How much room should I allow between each one?

3rd question: Do I need some sort of screen for them to dry on?

4th question: Is my list missing anything? I don't really have much up with me now, my car was packed..

Thanks everyone!

EDIT: I keep seeing different threads/guides that indicate different levels of light that are required for optimum growing once in the fruiting container. Should I put it right under the window where it will likely get direct light for most of the day, or somewhere else in the room where it wouldn't be so harsh?

Edited by Asazman (09/12/05 10:56 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinealphaman966
Stranger
Re: Please critique my plan! [Re: Asazman]
    #4652003 - 09/12/05 09:42 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Sounds pretty complete. The fruiting chamber WILL need an airtight lid, so I would recommend clear plastic sheeting or saran wrap. Also, It probably only needs to be about 14" tall max. I say plastic sheeting because you need something clear, and you sound poor.

OfflineShroomInduced
I read too manymycology books
Male

Loc: A giant mushroom in my he...
    #4652018 - 09/12/05 09:45 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

1.Keep the spore syringe in your fridge, wraped in tinfoil, in a plasticbag.
2.The trashcan might work, but then you are going to have to make some kindof lid for it. they should have at least three inches of room between eatch cake.
3.Get some disincant (sp) from the store, then make a littledry box with that.
4. I think youd have everything you need for cakes on your list. THe only thing i might change is your jars, id get pints, 1/2pints make pretty *gay* cakes. They are so small, they dont put much off.

--------------------
That's a deep kiss too, like the Europeans. You know, the French, they have to unhinge their jaw to show love.

Computer Fan Tek
Vote for you favorite strain of cubes 97 choices!

OfflineAsazman
Stranger
Re: Please critique my plan! [Re: ShroomInduced]
    #4652028 - 09/12/05 09:49 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

ShroomInduced said:
1.Keep the spore syringe in your fridge, wraped in tinfoil, in a plasticbag.
2.The trashcan might work, but then you are going to have to make some kindof lid for it. they should have at least three inches of room between eatch cake.
3.Get some disincant (sp) from the store, then make a littledry box with that.
4. I think youd have everything you need for cakes on your list. THe only thing i might change is your jars, id get pints, 1/2pints make pretty *gay* cakes. They are so small, they dont put much off.

I'm not quite sure what 'disincant' is could you possibly explain it to me ?

saran wrap sounds like an excellent idea. I will try to find some sort of container that will work for these specifications.

Invisiblebackupwards
peon

Loc: somewhere else
Re: Please critique my plan! [Re: alphaman966]
    #4652036 - 09/12/05 09:53 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

the fruiting chamber lid doesn't have to be air tight, i have never sealed the lids and been a ok.
you are getting syringes not prints, right? they can be stored in the fridge and last for a long time.
why canibalize a trash can, you could get a rubber maid tub for less than the cost of a trash can. it will work for you fine though if that is what you have. I would keep the lid around to put back on though.

as long as you have a couple of inches between cakes and walls of tub then you will be ok.
some kind of screen, box fan will work fine for drying. a food dehydrator would be great if you could pick one up at starvation army. just get some kind of air movement on them and they will be ok.

anything missing, hmmmm.......water

whats your mix ratios that you are going to use?

best of luck :peace:

OfflineShroomInduced
Male

#4652038 - 09/12/05 09:53 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I mean somthing like dry-rite, silica beads, somthign that takes water out of the air. Its cheap and effective. heres the proper spelling, Desiccants because im a bad speller. You can get it at an arts andcraft store, they use it for drying flowers. when you use it though, makesure it doesnt touch your mushrooms.

--------------------
That's a deep kiss too, like the Europeans. You know, the French, they have to unhinge their jaw to show love.

Computer Fan Tek

OfflineShroomInduced
Male

#4652044 - 09/12/05 09:55 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

as far a s a fruting chamber goes, is what i did is take a rubbermaid, cut a hole in the lid, leaving about 2 inches of plastic around eatch sides, then tapes saran wrap over the hole, its cheap. and works great.

--------------------

Computer Fan Tek

OfflineAsazman
Stranger
    #4652078 - 09/12/05 10:07 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

ShroomInduced said:
I mean somthing like dry-rite, silica beads, somthign that takes water out of the air. Its cheap and effective. heres the proper spelling, Desiccants because im a bad speller. You can get it at an arts andcraft store, they use it for drying flowers. when you use it though, makesure it doesnt touch your mushrooms.

So I can go to Michel's craft store and say "I want some desiccants!" and they'll for sure know exactly what i'm talking about? How does it work? will it funk up my space?

InvisibleTrippingDuality
cult classic
 User Gallery

#4652232 - 09/12/05 10:46 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

tell them you are drying flowers. they will show you the way. :smile:

--------------------
turn off your mind relax and float downstream

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
    #4652247 - 09/12/05 10:49 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Go to a hardware store and get damp-rid brand desiccant. Nobody anywhere outside of a lab supply store knows what the word desiccant means. Go to a building supply store or hardwares store, it's with the cleaners or paints, if you can't find it ask somebody, it's used to keep basements or closets dry so they don't get moldy and nasty. Sometimes people use it to reduce humidity so paint will dry. Search so you can see how it's used.

Some walmarts have damprid, but nobody there knows what or where it is. I've seen it with the cleaners and in the hardware section.

Light, don't worry too much about it. A cool white flourescent is great if you can get one (the little 18" or so lightsticks only cost about $7-10). Diffuse natural light works, but if you really have it right under the window make sure the sunlight isn't heating the terrerium too much. As long as they have light, they will grow.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Dehydrator, Perlite, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation