Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Calcium Carbonate, Oyster Shell, Peat, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineNeedSomeMagic
Stranger
What's the difference?
    #4650908 - 09/12/05 05:21 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

What's the difference between just growing them and fruiting and growing them then caking? Also, what is dunking or shocking?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblethegatewaydrug
my burning sunwill some dayrise

Loc: wherever i may roam
Re: What's the difference? [Re: NeedSomeMagic]
    #4650940 - 09/12/05 05:30 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

y is everyone asking about dunking and coldshocking today:crazy:

dont worry bout dunking and coldshocking right now, thats only if ur cakes fucking up, or if u want really really good yeilds.

btw i dont quite ur first question

--------------------
May God have mercy upon my enemies, because i won't.

General George S. Patton
:paranoid:

Offlineameridiot55
Stranger

Re: What's the difference? [Re: thegatewaydrug]
    #4651060 - 09/12/05 05:54 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

ummm what? i think u should rephrase that for us

Offlinepuwtrip
spirit molecule

Re: What's the difference? [Re: thegatewaydrug]
    #4651063 - 09/12/05 05:55 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

your first question is redundant; same thing. a 'cake' refers to the clump of mycelium inside a jar. most people tend to remove the cake from the jar and place it into a terrarium (simulated enviroment for mushroom growth) for fruiting. others fruit directly from the jar. either method can yield apporximately the same.

dunking means to submerse the cake into water to rehydrate after or before fruiting for a few minutes or hours. this allows it to regain moisure it has lost.

Invisiblethegatewaydrug
my burning sunwill some dayrise

Loc: wherever i may roam
Re: What's the difference? [Re: puwtrip]
    #4651073 - 09/12/05 05:58 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

u talking to me or him?

--------------------
May God have mercy upon my enemies, because i won't.

General George S. Patton
:paranoid:

Offlinekingfish4200
shroom diddy

#4651092 - 09/12/05 06:04 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

NeedSomeMagic said:
What's the difference between just growing them and fruiting and growing them then caking? Also, what is dunking or shocking?

ok well..first when you grow there are some stages that are just part of growing which wold be : inoculating (squirting about 1cc spore water into cakes), incubating (letting the cakes turn completely white with mycelium) then once a cake is 100% colonized white with mycelium it goes into the fruiting stage (put into a fruiting chamber with high humidity and 10 degree drop in temp from incubating..so top incubating temp would be around 85f so once in the fruiting chamber you would want a temp of 75f and 12 hours of light on along with 12 hours of darkness with fluorescent bulbs (seem work best)

so...fruiting is just part of growing (its a stage in growing) you asked about (cakeing?) a cake is what is used to grow the shrooms on. once a cake is 100% colonized all white you would do what people call "birthing the cake" witch is just getting the cake out of the jar.

now dunking... don't try right now wait till you are more experienced. But what that is...is taking a cake and submerging it in water for around 24 hours to rehydrate the cake....usually done after the first flush.

Shocking....don't try this ether..but what it is...is putting the cake in a fridge for around 24 hours to help the cake to start pinning..but i heard alot of people say this can stall pins...so don't try right now.

hope that helped :smile:

--------------------
"The answer is never the answer. What's really interesting is the mystery. If you seek the mystery instead of the answer, you'll always be seeking. I've never seen anybody really find the answer-- they think they have, so they stop thinking. But the job is to seek mystery, evoke mystery, plant a garden in which strange plants grow and mysteries bloom. The need for mystery is greater than the need for an answer."

-- Ken Kesey

OfflineNeedSomeMagic
Stranger
Re: What's the difference? [Re: kingfish4200]
    #4673844 - 09/17/05 01:36 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Oops. Sorry. I'll rephrase. What I meant was "casing".

"What's the difference between just growing them and fruiting and growing them then CASING then fruiting? ..." Just bigger yields I imagine. What's the best casing mix?

You guys rock by the way, I thank you for your great answers!

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
    #4673903 - 09/17/05 01:50 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

casings provide a resevoir of water, protects the substrate from drying out, and provides an ideal microclimate for the formation of pins. IOTW it increases your yield potential.

I like a 50/50 mix of peat and verm with lime (calcium carbonate, POWDERED oyster shells etc, not hydrated or pickling like) added at a rate of 10% the volume of the peat.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Calcium Carbonate, Oyster Shell, Peat, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation