Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
The wind at Hillary's back.
    #4650076 - 09/12/05 12:11 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

The wind at Hillary's back

By William Rees-Mogg

After the chaos of Katrina, the Clinton advance on the White House is looking unstoppable

HAS KATRINA made Hillary Clinton the next President of the United States? No, because her campaign was already rolling ahead in the month before the hurricane. But Katrina, and the slow response, may have been the final blow to Republican prospects for the election of 2008.
First of all Hillary will have to win the Democratic nomination. Here one can only quote from the jingoist song: ?She?s got the ships, she?s got the men, she?s got the money, too.? Hillary has the Clinton organisation behind her ? the only powerful presidential machine the Democrats have created since Ted Kennedy folded his tent in 1982. As the Bush family has shown, it takes a presidential machine to win presidential elections. That is why political dynasties become so powerful in the United States.

Senator Clinton?s polling figures for the primaries look fine. Before the Katrina disaster, which both she and her husband have handled with their usual skill, she had an 81 per cent approval rating among Democrats. By comparison, the leading Republican candidate for the 2008 nomination, Senator John McCain, had only a 56 per cent approval rating in his party.

Hillary is also the star fundraiser for the Democrats, not only for herself, but for fellow members of her party. Money can be decisive, both in the presidential primaries and in the presidential campaign itself. It helps that she is a senator for New York; it helps even more that she has the Clinton machine.

Even in early August the omens were looking good for her. Hillary Clinton has always been a strong candidate, a highly professional politician, popular with women and now a successful senator. But she has been regarded as too sharp-edged and divisive, and has had personal enemies and critics dating back to the Arkansas days of the 1980s. The Clinton governorship in Arkansas has been investigated and reinvestigated, and it was not too pretty a sight, but that is now a quarter-century ago.

The Clinton presidency had to face her husband?s impeachment but it had his successes as well; that is more than four years ago. Hillary has been moving towards the moderate centre of American politics and her critics have been moving towards her. She inevitably suffered from the problems of Bill Clinton?s reputation, and a professional job has been done of ?detoxifying? Mr Clinton?s image.

Dick Morris, who was Bill Clinton?s adviser in the successful 1996 re-election campaign, writes in the New York Post that ?Bill Clinton?s constant appearances with President Bush Senior and his highly visible efforts for the tsunami victims are helping rehabilitate his wife?s image?.

The Bush family recognise the Clintons as the only other American dynasty in this century. They use Bill Clinton when bipartisanship helps them, and he has used them to rehabilitate his image, which has also improved that of his wife.

This may confirm the reports that the Bushes are not planning on having a family candidate for the next presidential election. They have recognised that it would look too dynastic for Jeb Bush, the Governor of Florida, to run as his brother?s successor. Jeb helped to fix the Florida recount in 2000. In effect, the Bush family are almost acquiescing in the return of the Clintons, though they will, of course, support the Republican nominee at the time.

They may be right to accept the reality. Apart from Senator McCain, who is an attractive candidate to independents, the Republicans do not have an obvious candidate for 2008, just as the Democrats do not have a convincing alternative to Hillary.

Condoleezza Rice is a nice idea for the Republicans, rather than a serious contender. After that, most Republican candidates have minimal name recognition, such as Bill Frist, the Senate Majority Leader, Senator George Allen of Virginia, or Governor Tim Pawlenty of Minnesota. You cannot beat somebody with nobody.

The long-term record is equally depressing for the Republicans. There is a constitutional limit of two terms for the President himself, but American voters seem to apply that to the parties as well. Since 1952 there have been five occasions on which one party or the other has sought a third term in the White House; four times the incumbent party was defeated. Even before Katrina the odds were 4-1 on a Democratic victory in 2008. Voters get bored with the same party.

The polls have also shown a steady decline in approval for President Bush?s most contentious policy, the occupation of Iraq. All wars have a shelf life of public support; they become less popular as time goes by. That was true of Vietnam and it is true of Iraq; war fatigue has already set in.

The issues in Iraq remain extremely important, whether one considers the stability of the Middle East, democracy in Iraq, world oil supplies or the War on Terror. The Americans cannot just get out, but voters do not like bodybags.

On Saturday President Bush tried to rally the American people. He appealed to the memory of 9/11, but that did not help him. The Americans do indeed regard 9/11 as New York?s finest hour. No American regards the New Orleans disaster, with its first week of indecision, inaction and anarchy, as anyone?s finest hour, least of all the President?s. He failed to take effective federal action in that dreadful first week. His approval ratings have collapsed to the lowest level of his presidency.

Inevitably so.

Katrina did not create the trend, but it has crystallised in people?s minds the perceived weaknesses of this Administration; it is seen as uncaring, out of date and out of touch. The President must fight back or the mid-term congressional elections will be a disaster; he will lose his grip on power while he is still in office. Beyond that is the prospect of Hillary for 2008, perhaps becoming a two-term President. That would take the United States through to 2016. The storm warning is Hurricane Hillary.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedaimyo
Monticello

Re: The wind at Hillary's back. [Re: lonestar2004]
    #4650088 - 09/12/05 12:15 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

No women for President. Unless of course you despise America and want the terrorists to hate us even more.

--------------------
"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

OfflineProsgeopax
Jaded, yethopeful?

Loc: Appearing at a mall near ...
    #4650090 - 09/12/05 12:15 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Hillary is a VERY divisive figure and she's ugly too.

--------------------
Money doesn't grow on trees, but deficits do grow under Bushes.

You can accept, reject, or examine and test any new idea that comes to you. The wise man chooses the third way.
- Tom Willhite

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to change my opinions should I become aware of additional facts, the falsification of information or different perspectives. Articles written by others which I post may not necessarily reflect my opinions in part or in whole, my opinions may be in direct opposition, the topic may be one on which I have yet to formulate an opinion or have doubts about, an article may be posted solely with the intent to stimulate discussion or contemplation.

Offlinelonestar2004
 User Gallery

Re: The wind at Hillary's back. [Re: daimyo]
    #4650119 - 09/12/05 12:21 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

daimyo said:
No women for President. Unless of course you despise America and want the terrorists to hate us even more.

I would vote for a woman.

Just not hillary.

--------------------

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Edited by lonestar2004 (09/12/05 12:55 PM)

Offlinedaimyo
Monticello

#4650152 - 09/12/05 12:28 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Vote for a women? Woman probably not, but most certainly not a freakish double-headed wench lol.

I can't see any good coming out of voting for a woman. Especially if she were run by the two major(ly gay) parties. Sure it would appease the feminists, but what else would it do?

--------------------
"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
    #4650164 - 09/12/05 12:30 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

enrage the muslims!

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

Offlinelonestar2004
 User Gallery

Re: The wind at Hillary's back. [Re: Prosgeopax]
    #4650183 - 09/12/05 12:32 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Prosgeopax said:

divisive yes.

id hit it. (bottle rum)

--------------------

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

OfflineProsgeopax
Jaded, yethopeful?

Loc: Appearing at a mall near ...
    #4650207 - 09/12/05 12:37 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

lonestar2004 said:

*** Pros shudders, then vomits ****

Offlinelonestar2004
 User Gallery

#4650219 - 09/12/05 12:39 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

hehehehe

--------------------

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

OfflineSycronica
Seeker
Loc: Inside my head
    #4650276 - 09/12/05 12:58 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Everyone needs to boycott voting entirely. It's completely staged anyhow. Send a message to our govt that we know their full of shit and it's time to get straight with us or we'll undermine your whole system.

--------------------
Think for yourself. Question authority.

Forgiveness is the ultimate sacrifice.

You can fool some people sometimes, but you can't fool all the people all the time.

Invisiblephreakyzen
My God is anAwesome God

Loc: Under the sea
Re: The wind at Hillary's back. [Re: Sycronica]
    #4650303 - 09/12/05 01:07 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Bush, Clinton, Bush, Clinton.....

Is anybody else getting sick?

Offlinelonestar2004
 User Gallery

Re: The wind at Hillary's back. [Re: phreakyzen]
    #4650334 - 09/12/05 01:13 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

my stomach churns with the possibility of jeb bush vs hillary clinton.

--------------------

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

#4650352 - 09/12/05 01:19 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I would love Rumsfeld or Cheney as president.

What about Rudy?

--------------------
I am in love with Acidic_Sloth

Offlinelonestar2004
 User Gallery

Re: The wind at Hillary's back. [Re: looner2]
    #4650387 - 09/12/05 01:25 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

i like Rudy, but the religious right does not. (pro abortion, pro homosexual)

--------------------

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
    #4650938 - 09/12/05 03:29 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

is he really? I didnt know that...

He almost sounds like a decent fellow....

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
Re: The wind at Hillary's back. [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #4651041 - 09/12/05 03:48 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

they've already gotten their claws into him.

he's lost...

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

Offlinedaimyo
Monticello

Re: The wind at Hillary's back. [Re: afoaf]
    #4651125 - 09/12/05 04:20 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Fuck Hillary, Rudy, Jeb, Dick, and Don. No more democrats, no more republicans. Vote Libertarian.

--------------------

Edited by daimyo (09/12/05 05:59 PM)

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #4651136 - 09/12/05 04:23 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Amen.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: The wind at Hillary's back. [Re: Redstorm]
    #4651504 - 09/12/05 05:53 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I sincerely believe that Blanco's performance is going to be a major hurt for the Hildabeast. Right or wrong this will reinforce stereotypes against women. And I shout "Hallelujah" to the mountains, praise Zappa.

--------------------

OfflineIgnatiusJReilly
Up From Sloth
Male

Loc: LA
Re: The wind at Hillary's back. [Re: zappaisgod]
    #4651672 - 09/12/05 06:17 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I'd love to have a woman as our President. Small. Yellow. Different.

--------------------
"A Bad Day for Pants"

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #4651849 - 09/12/05 06:57 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Prosgeopax said:

I'll bet she was hot when she was about 20 or so.

Here are my hopes for 2008 presidential race in order of best to worst:

1. The Libertarian candidate
2. John McCain (at least he is a tad bit independent)
3. Nobody
4. The Republican or Democratic candidate

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
Re: The wind at Hillary's back. [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #4653437 - 09/12/05 11:39 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I would like to see Hillary Clinton vs. Colin Powell. I think if I have to pick a politician, Colin Powell is someone I dont think is a total fucking slimeball, Hillary included.

But I'd probably vote for Hillary, if only because she is for many things I am for. I would love to vote for an Independent candidate if he had a chance in hell of winning, but I really dont want to fuck up again and elect another fucking republican.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

InvisibleAnnapurna1
liberal pussy
Female User Gallery
Loc: innsmouth..MA
    #4653915 - 09/13/05 05:05 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

hilary is a DINO (who claims maggie thatcher as her role model)..and theres NFW i will vote for either of them even if they do have the same kind of genitals as me (which is questionable)...a vote for hilary might as well be a vote for dick cheney..and i would much prefer a male RINO...

--------------------

"anchor blocks counteract the process of pontiprobation..while omalean globes regulize the pressure"...

Offlinegregorio
Too Damn Old
Male

Loc: Classified
    #4653929 - 09/13/05 05:37 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Hillary doesn't have a chance at being elected President. Democrats need to win the South if they are to have any kind of chance of winning and Hillary will get crushed in the South.

InvisibleAnnapurna1
liberal pussy
Female User Gallery
Loc: innsmouth..MA
Re: The wind at Hillary's back. [Re: gregorio]
    #4653935 - 09/13/05 05:44 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

^ hilary actually has a very good chance at winning the south..given their habbit of voting for right-wing nutcakes...

--------------------

"anchor blocks counteract the process of pontiprobation..while omalean globes regulize the pressure"...

Invisiblekrishnamurti
Stranger
Re: The wind at Hillary's back. [Re: Annapurna1]
    #4656113 - 09/13/05 05:05 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

is Hillary really the only Democrat option next election for pres?

--------------------
I'll see you down in Guantanamo Bay

Donate spores to FSRC or suffer the consequences!*

Wikipedia

Overgrow has been shut down :sad: check out www.icmag.com if you need MJ info

*consequences may or may not be suffered

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder