Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibleusefulidiot
It's notfascist, it's...Neoconservative!

Thousands of EPA Scientists Issue Warning On Fluoride Use
    #4649623 - 09/12/05 12:10 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

http://www.organicconsumers.org/foodsafety/flouride090105.cfm

EPA Scientists & Workers Call for an End to Water Fluoridation Because of Cancer Risk

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

EPA UNIONS CALL FOR NATIONWIDE MORATORIUM ON FLUORIDATION, CONGRESSIONAL HEARING ON ADVERSE EFFECTS, YOUTH CANCER COVER UP

WASHINGTON, DC, August 30, 2005 --/WORLD-WIRE/-- Eleven EPA employee unions representing over 7000 environmental and public health professionals of the Civil Service have called for a moratorium on drinking water fluoridation programs across the country, and have asked EPA management to recognize fluoride as posing a serious risk of causing cancer in people. The unions acted following revelations of an apparent cover-up of evidence from Harvard School of Dental Medicine linking fluoridation with elevated risk of a fatal bone cancer in young boys.

The unions sent letters to key Congressional committees asking Congress to legislate a moratorium pending a review of all the science on the risks and benefits of fluoridation. The letters cited the weight of evidence supporting a classification of fluoride as a likely human carcinogen, which includes other epidemiology results similar to those in the Harvard study, animal studies, and biological reasons why fluoride can reasonably be expected to cause the bone cancer - osteosarcoma - seen in young boys and test animals.

The unions also pointed out recent work by Richard Maas of the Environmental Quality Institute, University of North Carolina that links increases in lead levels in drinking water systems to use of silicofluoride fluoridating agents with chloramines disinfectant.

The letter to EPA Administrator Stephen Johnson asked him to issue a public warning in the form of an advanced notice of proposed rulemaking setting the health-based drinking water standard for fluoride at zero, as it is for all known or probable human carcinogens, pending a recommendation from a National Academy of Sciences' National Research Council committee. That committee's work is not expected to be done before 2006.

The unions also asked Congress and EPA's enforcement office, or the Department of Justice, to look into reasons why the Harvard study director, Chester Douglass, failed to report the seven-fold increased risk seen in the work he oversaw, and instead wrote to the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, the federal agency that funded the Harvard study, saying there was no link between fluoridation and osteosarcoma. Douglass sent the same negative report to the National Research Council committee studying possible changes in EPA's drinking water standards for fluoride.

The unions who signed the letters represent EPA employees from across the nation, including laboratory scientists in Ohio, Oklahoma and Michigan, regulatory support scientists and other workers at EPA headquarters in Washington, D.C. and science and regulatory workers in Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Atlanta, and San Francisco.

They are affiliated with the National Treasury Employees Union, the American Federation of Government Employees, Engineers and Scientists of California/International Federation of Professional and Technical Engineers, and the National Association of Government Employee/Service Employees International Union.

The unions' letter is online at: http://nteu280.org/Issues/Fluoride/fluoridesummary.htm

FOR INFORMATION CONTACT:

Dr. William Hirzy Vice-President, NTEU Chapter 280
Phone (cell) 202-285-0498 This is complete notice.

USA Citizens can easily back-up the 7,000 EPA 'career employees.' Consider, you and your family need CLEAN & SAFE Drinking Water, every day. This is your opportunity to back those 7000+ EPA union members that care about scientific integrity and exposing the truth about 'corporate hazardous waste fluorosilicates' being metered into our drinking waters. Their common sense demand for a 'moratorium on fluoridation' along with Congressional Investigation incl. 'under oath' hearings is critical!

We, the undersigned, join with members of eleven EPA unions in their call for an immediate Congressional act placing a national moratorium on water fluoridation pending a full Congressional investigation into this public policy, which affects - directly and indirectly - every resident of the United States.

Read & Sign Citizens PETITION at: http://petition.powalliance.org/index.html

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: Thousands of EPA Scientists Issue Warning On Fluoride Use [Re: usefulidiot]
    #4650014 - 09/12/05 01:56 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

And yet again we see a totally bullshit headline. Nowhere in the article is there mention of even one "EPA scientist" issuing a warning on fluoride use, let alone "thousands" of EPA scientists.

Reading comprehension is a useful skill. You would do well to acquire it.

Phred

--------------------

Offlinedaimyo
Monticello

#4650039 - 09/12/05 02:00 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

End this brain-numbing, carcinogenic fluoridation of the American people.

--------------------
"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

OfflineProsgeopax
Jaded, yethopeful?

Loc: Appearing at a mall near ...
Re: Thousands of EPA Scientists Issue Warning On Fluoride Use [Re: Phred]
    #4650066 - 09/12/05 02:08 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Sodium fluoride has been and is still used as an insecticide. It's use for human consumption has been banned in other countries, still other countries have lowered allowed water levels of fluoride.

--------------------
Money doesn't grow on trees, but deficits do grow under Bushes.

You can accept, reject, or examine and test any new idea that comes to you. The wise man chooses the third way.
- Tom Willhite

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to change my opinions should I become aware of additional facts, the falsification of information or different perspectives. Articles written by others which I post may not necessarily reflect my opinions in part or in whole, my opinions may be in direct opposition, the topic may be one on which I have yet to formulate an opinion or have doubts about, an article may be posted solely with the intent to stimulate discussion or contemplation.

OfflineAnisotropic
Stranger
    #4650456 - 09/12/05 03:47 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Sometimes I am really glad I was raised on well water, organically grown veggies and wild meats.

I can't believe the amount of SHIT they put in food and water now.

I hope to be back to that diet of well water, and organically grown veggies /fruits(I don't eat meat anymore)

But in the mean time I double filter my drinking water. I would suggest other people in cities do the same.

Offlinephi1618
old hand

#4651808 - 09/12/05 08:46 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Phred said:
And yet again we see a totally bullshit headline. Nowhere in the article is there mention of even one "EPA scientist" issuing a warning on fluoride use

Ahem...
Quote:

EPA Scientists . . . Call for an End to Water Fluoridation Because of Cancer Risk

Reading comprehension...
What was the article about?
It was about EPA employees (including scientists) asking their boss through their unions to reconsider the issue of fluoridation.

Now, there is one point of wriggle room (I know you Pinky) - the phrase "issue a warning". The letter is a request to reconsider the issue of fluoridation "based on the overall weight of the evidence supporting the classification of fluoride as a human carcinogen".

This can be considered a warning, particularly as the letter is public.

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

Re: Thousands of EPA Scientists Issue Warning On Fluoride Use [Re: phi1618]
    #4651893 - 09/12/05 09:09 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I agree that fluorine use is probably not a good idea (especially because of where the fluorine comes from and lack of proper controls on the additives). However, I have to also call bullshit on the article title.

The EPA union has 7,000+ members but only a fraction of them are scientists and only a fraction of those are PhD level (as far as I know). Maybe it is nitpicking but I am the type who thinks that journalists who intentionally word articles to promote a viewpoint do a disservice to all those who hold the same view and try to legitimately back it up.

All that being said, this is a pretty big deal and worthy of public attention.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Re: Thousands of EPA Scientists Issue Warning On Fluoride Use [Re: phi1618]
    #4651948 - 09/12/05 09:28 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

It's a bullshit headline. No EPA scientist issued a warning, pure and simple. Please cut and paste for us the part of the article that describes any scientist who works for the EPA issuing a warning....................

*sound of crickets chirping* ..............

The only scientists mentioned in relation to the studies are scientists who don't work for the EPA.

And as Catalysis points out, there aren't "thousands of scientists" working for the EPA anyway.

Phred

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Re: Thousands of EPA Scientists Issue Warning On Fluoride Use [Re: Catalysis]
    #4651984 - 09/12/05 09:36 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

All that being said, this is a pretty big deal and worthy of public attention.

Meh.

They've been studying fluoridated water for half a century or so. Every so often some kerfuffle makes the news, the methodolgy is checked through peer review and found to be flawed, and the issue drops off the radar screen till the next guy makes the same baseless charges.

One thing that may have some validity is the combination of fluorides with chloramines (a relatively recent development -- at the time I left Canada in the late Eighties municipalities were just switching over from chlorine to chloramine -- and may many municipalities never made the switch) leaching lead from ancient pipes. I'm not going to make a judgment one way or the other on that since I haven't seen a study on it yet and don't recall enough of my inorganic chemistry to know if such a reaction is possible.

Even then, if your house doesn't have lead pipes (and very very few do these days) there's nothing to worry about.

Phred

--------------------

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

#4652124 - 09/12/05 10:18 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Thats true. There are a ton of variables to account for when studying drinking water. As a biochemist, I find it highly improbable that fluorine alone, at low levels, is a carcinogen. The way that it affects bone is completely different from what would be considered carcinogenic activity. If cancer was ever linked to fluorinated water, I would bet anything that it is due to the contaminants in the fluorine source. The amount of fluorine needed to keep levels up in water supplies means they cannot use the appropriate, yet costly purification processes necessary to ensure a clean source. I do know that it can cause fluorosis and I think it probably is totally unnecessary in the water supply of a developed nation.

OfflineJ4S0N
human
 User Gallery

#4652796 - 09/13/05 12:15 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I don't understand why we are forced to drink flouride in our water, no matter what the scientific conclusion is about it. It just doesn't make sense, why add something to water, when water is just fine on its own.

If you want fluoride in your water you should be able to buy it at walmart and add it yourself. I'd rather not have it, instead of waiting to figure out if its bad for you or not. Plus im sure adding it to the water isn't free either, someone is paying for that. Probably us tax payers

--------------------
"The Central Intelligence Agency owns everyone of any significance in the major media." ~ William Colby, Former Director, CIA

Offlinegregorio
Stranger

Loc: NapTown
    #4653925 - 09/13/05 07:30 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

It is all a plot to rob us of our precious bodily fluids, Mandrake.

That is why I only drink grain alcohol and rainwater.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion