Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Website Announcements and Feature Feedback

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: DXM

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Onlineblackout
Microwaver
 User Gallery

Delaying new members first post by a week?
    #4649254 - 09/12/05 07:16 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

On other forums I have joined there was a week delay before you were allowed to post a question, the idea being that if you were serious about joining you would research the site before asking stuff that is asked over and over again. It forces you to get to grips with the search function. I think there was then a limit of the amount of posts per day for the first month, so people would ask well thought questions, or put them all in the one post rather than 10 different ones.

Maybe a good idea to clean up some cluttered forums.

--------------------
support the free spore ring http://fsre.nl/

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblebackupwards
peon

Loc: somewhere else
Re: Delaying new members first post by a week? [Re: blackout]
    #4649271 - 09/12/05 08:03 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

totally in agreement with ya bro, i have been thinking about this for a while as well.
a week, well not just a week from the time they register either. some would just register and wait a week and then start posting. maybe set it up so that it is so many hours or days worth of being logged on before they could post up the same lame ass questions that keep getting asked week after week.

:peace:

InvisibleMeatSpace
Stranger
 User Gallery

#4649449 - 09/12/05 11:00 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

That sounds like it would help the puppet problem too.

--------------------
:crankey:
/    l    \__:thumbup: ... Hi, I'm Crankey, and I approve this message.

InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
    #4649565 - 09/12/05 11:50 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I disagree. Sometimes people lurk on the site and don't register until they have an immediate problem - whether they're going through a bad trip or they're involved in some sort of drug-related emergency...I don't know that this would help so much aside from puppetry.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

InvisibleBurke Dennings

#4649883 - 09/12/05 01:21 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I agree; this is a good idea.

OMR, don't you think that pretty much any question that someone might have has already been asked? Being forced to use the search engine isn't such a bad thing...

--------------------
This will not go undocumented.

OfflineOrganic
Lloyd

Loc: Overlook
    #4650019 - 09/12/05 01:57 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I agree with OMR...

Also, mods of the cluttered forums should remain responsible for cleaning up the mess...I don't think a week's wait will make anyone search any more than if they were unregistered and browsing the board.

--------------------

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Loc: Pongyang, North Korea
Re: Delaying new members first post by a week? [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #4650072 - 09/12/05 02:10 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

OneMoreRobot3021 said:
I disagree. Sometimes people lurk on the site and don't register until they have an immediate problem - whether they're going through a bad trip or they're involved in some sort of drug-related emergency...I don't know that this would help so much aside from puppetry.

i absolutely agree with you OMR, many people have come here thinking that they have eaten a poisonus mushroom, or that they are going to OD. we are a very vast resource and limiting posting by a week wuld kill any chance of helping a new member from disaster

--------------------
PEACE

:mushroom2:zippoz:mushroom2:

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

Onlineblackout
Microwaver
 User Gallery

Re: Delaying new members first post by a week? [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #4650109 - 09/12/05 02:19 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

OneMoreRobot3021 said:
Sometimes people lurk on the site and don't register until they have an immediate problem - whether they're going through a bad trip or they're involved in some sort of drug-related emergency...

hhmmm maybe so. Other forums I have been on also had newbie/beginner sections, that they are let loose in right away, or the ID forum. Just like here people have to do so many posts to get into the growlog section.

Many lurkers are registered but have yet to post, thats why I liked the week wait though the number of hours logged does have advantages. I still think if somebody finds the site and is serious about it they will read up during the week, if they really are interested. If they are not they may never come back, or simply forget about it.

It does make people search though, how many times have you seen "what temp should I incubate at?" asked. I dont care how stupid somebody is, it is obvious that this question has been answered over and over.

If you see a newbie saying he was a lurker, there question is usually a good one. I have lurked at lots of forums, no need for privacy like some might here, it was just that all my questions were answered before.

Quote:

I don't think a week's wait will make anyone search any more than if they were unregistered and browsing the board.

Many newbies are new to the whole idea of forums. Some do not even know a search function exists. They treat them like chat rooms where there is no wealth of info that can be looked up. Unregistered browers/lurkers do it because they know how to.

--------------------

Edited by blackout (09/12/05 02:24 PM)

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension
    #4650611 - 09/12/05 04:18 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I think this a great idea.
If someone is stupid enough to eat a possibly poisonous mushroom after browsing the shroomery, they don't need our help. They need a hospital or a morgue. If someone has a drug related EMERGENCY - they shouldn't be posting about it on the shroomery. And these things have been shot to death a million times already. Use the search. What can shroomerites tell someone that isn't already posted in a sticky or through an easy search? GO TO THE HOSPITAL. This isn't an emergency I'm an idiot BB for not reading anything before taking a mysterious mushroom.

Personally, I browsed the boards for a good 6 MONTHS before registering....just reading.

This idea would largely eliminate the puppet problem and redundant posts problem.

--------------------

InvisibleYthanA
٩(●̮•̃)۶
Male

Loc: NY/MA/VT Borderlands, USA Flag
    #4655385 - 09/13/05 04:27 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Although this is a somewhat inventive way to address certain recurring problems on the BB, overall I feel it would just be too detrimental to the community. Ideally, any established member would say they'd have been willing to wait a week to gain access to our forums. In fact, if someone doesn't feel that way they've probably already left for another site they like better. However, when someone is new and just deciding to sign up, I just don't think they necessarily feel the same way. If we forced people to wait a week to gain access, the original reason for their post might no longer be relevant. Not to mention that on the Internet, billions of other pages are just a click away. If we don't provide a fast and simple way for new users to join, they'll just find someone else that does. That doesn't make them trolls or puppets, or mean they have have nothing of value to contribute. They just expect instant gratification on the Internet, which for better or worse, is common and understandable.

Basically what I'm saying is, I don't think it's worth turning away a significant number of new users when only a small percentage of them are puppets or trolls. The best solution here I think is diligent moderation and administration, so troublemakers are dealt with promptly and legitimate members aren't punished.

Peace,

-Y

InvisiblelIllIIIllIlIIlIlIIllIllIIl
Stranger
 Arcade Champion: Airfox

Loc: Texas
Re: Delaying new members first post by a week? [Re: Ythan]
    #4656864 - 09/13/05 10:14 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I browsed the shroomery on and off for a long time before registering. Maybe you don't all realize it, but its not so easy to find the forums from the main page. This was back when the main page was in skin tones and creamy orange (not sure if things have changed since then).

The fact that I actually didn't notice the forums for a few weeks was benificial to me, I guess. I learned a lot of stuff like what a spore syringe is and what a substrate is, the basics.

If I was forced to wait a week beyond the time that I found the forums and registered, I really don't know what I would have done. It probably would have just annoyed me, not much else though.

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Loc: Pongyang, North Korea
Re: Delaying new members first post by a week? [Re: lIllIIIllIlIIlIlIIllIllIIl]
    #4657261 - 09/13/05 11:50 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

yeah i browsed the boards for months before finding the message boards, my friend kept refering to conversations on the site, and i just didnt get what he was talking about! lol

--------------------
PEACE

:mushroom2:zippoz:mushroom2:

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

OfflinePerfectlyDefectd
Dr. Pedro

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Re: Delaying new members first post by a week? [Re: ZippoZ]
    #4657462 - 09/14/05 12:45 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

i agree with the orginal idea.. im very new to the shroomery myself, however i have answered the same newbie questions dozens of times and im sick of it.. endless questions on the dosage of shrooms, dxm, and where to trip.. i suppose the only reason i continue to answer these is because some people are just to lazy to search on there own.. and id rather them get good information from me than just say fuck it and OD.. so if people were forced to wait before posting thatd be good.. like mentioned earlier.. every possible question has prolly been answered at one point in time... searching is a great learning tool

Onlineblackout
Microwaver
 User Gallery

Re: Delaying new members first post by a week? [Re: Ythan]
    #4699316 - 09/23/05 06:42 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Ythan said: Not to mention that on the Internet, billions of other pages are just a click away. If we don't provide a fast and simple way for new users to join, they'll just find someone else that does.

YES! they will go somewhere else, bombard the poor forums with ready answered questions. Then come back when they realise the forum they are on has not much traffic and is glutted with newbie questions, there are a few forums but this is by far the best one out there now (5 years back there were 2-3 contenders). They may go off and find sites that just tell how to grow with no forums, again a good thing, there spur of the moment questions will be mostly answered.

I visit a site with a forum on bargains, mostly online bargains of anything at all, clothes, mp3 players, dvds etc.
Without fail there is somebody asking for cheap dvd sites. It is obvious to anybody that this will have been asked before, they usually get a blunt reply with maybe 2 sites. IF they bother to search they can locate massive threads with hundreds of links

--------------------

Onlineblackout
Microwaver
 User Gallery

Re: Delaying new members first post by a week? [Re: lIllIIIllIlIIlIlIIllIllIIl]
    #4699318 - 09/23/05 06:46 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

adjust said:
The fact that I actually didn't notice the forums for a few weeks was benificial to me, I guess. I learned a lot of stuff like what a spore syringe is and what a substrate is, the basics.

If I was forced to wait a week beyond the time that I found the forums and registered, I really don't know what I would have done. It probably would have just annoyed me, not much else though.

I think you would have searched the forums and found lots of interesting stuff not mentioned in the FAQs.

I was away from this site for over a year, came back and spent a good few months search whats been going on recently. Searching by user name is very useful, especially if you are searching for very general things, you can pick your favourite resident expert and see what they say on the subject.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: DXM

Feedback and Administration >> Website Announcements and Feature Feedback