Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineblackout
Microwaver
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
EXTREME blueing on burnt wheat grains.
    #4649222 - 09/12/05 06:19 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I grew out some Koh Samui on normal wheat grain. Growlog here
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4294326/an/0/page/1

There was not much blueing on these mushrooms, the high was very nice but they were not that potent, I took just under 3g on an empty stomach and just had a pleasant time, nothing mindblowing.
I burnt some wheat by mistake while trying to sterilize grain in the microwave. details here http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=Forum2&Number=4398706

I took a section of a KS shroom and dropped it in the burnt wheat jar. The photo shows that it was not blueing very much.

The jar was cased with the same mixture as the wheat grain in my nitrogen/blood experiments. In the same incubater but neglected completely as a side experiment, it got no fanning. I saw shrooms growing in it. I wanted a photo of the shrooms to show off how much more blue the blood shrooms would be compared to the burnt wheat (since my other wheat grains are not ready for harvest) see this growlog for details on the blood shrooms.
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4493850/an/0/page/0
These are from the same bag of wheat, the only difference is the burning of the wheat and different strain (texan) there is no real difference in incubation/colonisation times (mycofile had talked of over incubation leading to more potent shrooms)
The burnt shrooms turned dark blue within 5 seconds of cutting. This photo below was taken about 30 seconds after cutting the small ones, the big on in the middle is about 5 mins old and was washed to remove casing. The cap on the far left is a texan blood shroom which was cut about 20 minutes before and shows relatively little blueing.

I was disappointed by the lack of strong blueing on my nitrogen shrooms, but could not believe the blueing of these, they are almost black. I will take some when I have a few more.
The only difference I can see is the additional carbon from the burning. But would burning lead to a breakdown of matter, almost like composting?
I would not advise burning in the microwave, as it is a fire hazard. Roasting grain in the oven would be a viable option for anybody else who want to try it out. I am definitely going to do it again, I would like to see a comparison test like my blood growlog

--------------------
support the free spore ring http://fsre.nl/

Edited by blackout (11/03/09 04:08 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: EXTREME blueing on burnt wheat grains. [Re: blackout]
    #4659879 - 09/14/05 02:39 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Just piping in to say "hey, I see this". I don't have much anything to add though. Fascinating for sure. I have no idea what mechanism might be at play though....

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Offlineblackout
Microwaver
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: EXTREME blueing on burnt wheat grains. [Re: mycofile]
    #4663756 - 09/15/05 06:20 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks, the post seemed to just get lost un-noticed. I would like to see some opinions or if anybody heard of using roated grains before, thats why I am bumping this up again.
I know some commercial edible growers use spent brewing grains. I wonder if anybody uses guinness grains. Probably not for cubes anyway.
I harvested more yesterday, I will sample a gram soon.
The casing has a very high ph, not sure what it is but I added too much hydrated lime. But I have other grows with the same casing without much blueing.

--------------------

InvisibleFooManM
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #4663773 - 09/15/05 06:46 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I think this is the first time I've heard of anyone using burnt grains. This is an interesting experiment you've done and I'd love to see if you get consistent results with it. Keep us updated!

--------------------

Offlineblackout
Microwaver
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: EXTREME blueing on burnt wheat grains. [Re: FooMan]
    #4833065 - 10/21/05 05:41 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

UPDATE: That jar was spawned to a mixture of cow manure and straw. It was too wet so I added more straw that was boiled dry in the microwave. The manure/straw was also pastuerised in the microwave on low for a few hours. It was very slow to colonise but is really taking off now, I think it was a pretty high spawn rate too, I have to weigh it sometime. Should be ready to case early next week.

It will be interesting to see how potent these will be. The original grain is pretty old now and mycofile has been talking of overincubated grain leading to strong shrooms.

I have some other microwave experiments going on and may have found the ideal microwaveable substrates, manure and RGS.

--------------------

Edited by blackout (10/21/05 05:54 AM)

Offlineblackout
Microwaver
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4892568 - 11/04/05 06:12 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

now fruiting in a shallow 4.5 litres tub, fanning 2-4 times a day. The shrooms are pretty big and simply bend over in the shallow tub. Since it is shallow it keeps its own humidity in check.

--------------------

InvisibleTsinaglou
learning...
Male
Loc: midwest
    #4892613 - 11/04/05 07:26 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Any info on potency yet? Does yield look comprable to non-roasted grains?

Very interesting...

Tsin

Offlineblackout
Microwaver
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: EXTREME blueing on burnt wheat grains. [Re: Tsinaglou]
    #4892634 - 11/04/05 07:49 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I still have to take the originals. Cant comment on yeild at all since it is my first cow poo grow. The shrooms are looking nice and meaty though.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation