Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Cannabis Seeds   Amazon Magic Flight Launch Box, Vaporizer

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlineph30n1x
the next jerry

Loc: just a few notes away
weed lung cancer
    #4647670 - 09/11/05 10:07 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

lol sorry to waste ur guys' time, but my friend is arguing with me about pot and lung cancer. i keep telling him it doesnt cause lung cancer, but he doesnt believe me, so im gonna show him this page if a few people could just tell him taht it doesnt cause cancer, and if u wanna explain why u can but u dont have to. i hope hel come to his sences

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMuppetz
Stranger
Re: weed lung cancer [Re: ph30n1x]
    #4647688 - 09/11/05 10:09 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Smoke in the lungs = can cause cancer. It's not so much the weed itself its the smoke.

Offlineiateshaggy
i haxor 360s
Male User Gallery

Loc: 612 Warf Avenue, next to....
    #4647697 - 09/11/05 10:10 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

it's actually anti-carcinogous but smoking anything can lead to emphysema. eating weed, i.e. brownies etc. has no negative side effects other than the munchies and laziness.

--------------------
You are a filipina sex goddess who wants to fuck me until I fall asleep, so then you can tickle my balls and see if the legend of my diamond filled nutsuck is true.  I am a white man from costa rica, who smells like lime jello.

I can flash/jtag/repair 360's, pm for details.

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Happy Mutant

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #4647700 - 09/11/05 10:11 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Well, theoretically, smoking ANYTHING ain't the best thing for your lungs, but I've seen no research indicating any link between weed smoking and cancer...

Invisibledblaney
Human Being

Loc: Here & Now
    #4647774 - 09/11/05 10:23 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

If you put smoke in your lungs, you're at risk for developing lung cancer. Certainly not as much risk as say, cigarettes or something along those lines, but it isn't impossible.

--------------------
"What is in us that turns a deaf ear to the cries of human suffering?"

"Belief is a beautiful armor
But makes for the heaviest sword"
- John Mayer

Making the noise "penicillin" is no substitute for actually taking penicillin.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." -Abraham Lincoln

OfflineJabbawaya

Re: weed lung cancer [Re: iateshaggy]
    #4647778 - 09/11/05 10:24 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

It would be wrong at this point to believe what THC has anticarcinogenic properties. The evidence is far from conclusive. Even if it were, the effect of smoke inhalation would far outweight any benefits.

Any form of smoke inhalation is damaging to the lungs. Smoke, in any form, carries carbon monoxide and other dangerous molecules which will harm your lungs.

Marijuana generally contains more tar than tobacco smoke, so that can be hard on one's lungs as well. Tobacco, however, contains dangerous radioactive elements such as polonium-210 and radon, which marijuana is usually free of. It is believed that those radioactive elements are responsible for a significant amount of cancer proliferation, extending beyond simple smoke inhalation damage.

There is nothing that is safe to smoke. If you're going to smoke anything, be smart and do it infrequently.

--------------------

Offlinenonphixion
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: weed lung cancer [Re: dblaney]
    #4647794 - 09/11/05 10:27 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Cigarettes keep the deteriorating and mutated tissues in your lungs where they are, instead of them being swept away and replaced like they normally would. One (or a few) of the numerous added chemicals in the cigarette smoke paralyzes them.

Weed on the other hand, doesn't have that chemical.. so you're not at as high of a risk.

--------------------

Offlineiateshaggy
i haxor 360s
Male User Gallery

Loc: 612 Warf Avenue, next to....
Re: weed lung cancer [Re: Jabbawaya]
    #4647806 - 09/11/05 10:28 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

i didn't say smoking weed was healthy, just that it isn't carcinogeous. i did say it causes emphazema which is just as bad. as far as the research goes, i'm going off of govt, research a college prof. showed me.

--------------------
You are a filipina sex goddess who wants to fuck me until I fall asleep, so then you can tickle my balls and see if the legend of my diamond filled nutsuck is true.  I am a white man from costa rica, who smells like lime jello.

I can flash/jtag/repair 360's, pm for details.

Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ohio
Re: weed lung cancer [Re: iateshaggy]
    #4647847 - 09/11/05 10:34 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

The nicotine in ciggs them selves is what causes the cancer i believe. Atleast for the most part, smoke in your lungs could have a cancerous effect in the long run, but i believe tobbaccoo is considerably worse. People get mouth cancer from tobbacco and they are not smoking it.

--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.

OfflineLiquidSmoke
My title's cooler than yours DBK

Loc: S.A.G.G.Y.B.A.L.L.S.
    #4647852 - 09/11/05 10:34 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

the amount of misinformation in this thread is rediculous.  :rolleyes:

This thread should be locked or something.

--------------------
"Shmokin' weed, Shmokin' wizz, doin' coke, drinkin' beers.  Drinkin' beers beers beers, rollin' fatties, smokin' blunts.  Who smokes tha blunts?  We smoke the blunts" - Jay and Silent Bob strike Back

Edited by LiquidSmoke (09/11/05 10:41 PM)

InvisibleHeavyToilet
The Heaviest OfThem All
Male

Loc: British Columbia
Re: weed lung cancer [Re: LiquidSmoke]
    #4647884 - 09/11/05 10:42 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Hook up the real information.

OfflineLiquidSmoke

#4647938 - 09/11/05 10:56 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

it's actually anti-carcinogous

Wrong. That couldn't be more opposite from the truth. Stop reading pro-legalization propaganda.

Quote:

Tobacco, however, contains dangerous radioactive elements such as polonium-210 and radon, which marijuana is usually free of. It is believed that those radioactive elements are responsible for a significant amount of cancer proliferation, extending beyond simple smoke inhalation damage

The majority of radioactive cancer causing chemicals are oxygen free-radicals, which completely outnumber the amount of plolnium and radon in terms of proliferation, penetrance into human lung cells, and overall reactivity.

Quote:

Cigarettes keep the deteriorating and mutated tissues in your lungs where they are, instead of them being swept away and replaced like they normally would. One (or a few) of the numerous added chemicals in the cigarette smoke paralyzes them.

Weed on the other hand, doesn't have that chemical.. so you're not at as high of a risk.

The direct exposure to ANY form of smoke/combustion biproducts, or radioactive elements leads to the loss of functional cells within your bronchial epithelia. It's part of your body's defense from damaging its vital tissues. Originally your lungs are lined with uni-layered cuboidal epithelial cells, which posess the gas-diffusing properties that allow you to breath. When they come in contact with any form of the above mentioned factors, may of those tissues are converted to non-ciliated squamous epithelia, which is a permanent modification. These cells are there to protect the inner tissues of your lung capiliaries from the combustion biproducts, but in essence, decrease the efficiency of your lungs, because there are less gas-diffusable, ciliated epithelia. And regions in your lungs which are altered in this manner will continue to grow layers of nondiffusable squamous epithelia.

Quote:

i didn't say smoking weed was healthy, just that it isn't carcinogeous

Once again, any form of combustion which is inhaled, as long as it is still at a high temprature, can lead to the explusion of oxygen free radicals, which can directly alter individual nucleic acids in your cell's DNA. When these mutations insert into areas which are naturally regulatory sequences, it leads to an uncontrolled growth function, hence, cancer.

Quote:

The nicotine in ciggs them selves is what causes the cancer i believe. Atleast for the most part, smoke in your lungs could have a cancerous effect in the long run,

It can happen on the first experience of smoking, or it could never happen amongst people who have smoked their entire lives. the probablility of a cancer-causing mutation doesn't change each time you smoke. It's just, you are more likely to develope cancer by running the same risk each time. Nicotine is the least of your worries, in terms of carcinogens.

People, I really think you should try and look at the credibility of the sources from which you gather your information. There are MANY pro-marijuana websites out there which claim to have all kinds of unfalable proof that weed is harmless. You have to realize that propoganda exists on both sides of the debate...

--------------------
"Shmokin' weed, Shmokin' wizz, doin' coke, drinkin' beers.  Drinkin' beers beers beers, rollin' fatties, smokin' blunts.  Who smokes tha blunts?  We smoke the blunts" - Jay and Silent Bob strike Back

Edited by LiquidSmoke (09/11/05 10:59 PM)

InvisibleInnominate
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#4647971 - 09/11/05 11:04 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

LiquidSmoke said:
The majority of radioactive cancer causing chemicals are oxygen free-radicals, which completely outnumber the amount of plolnium and radon in terms of proliferation, penetrance into human lung cells, and overall reactivity.

Could you explain that a bit more?

Offlineninsega
Lucky Bastard
    #4647974 - 09/11/05 11:05 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Is there proof of someone getting lung cancer from Marijuana use, or is it simply possible? I don't hear about those old hippy pot smokers dropping from lung cancer. Agencies would definitely use a Marijuana/cancer link in anti-drug propaganda if they could.

OfflineLiquidSmoke

Re: weed lung cancer [Re: Innominate]
    #4648014 - 09/11/05 11:17 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Okay,

so Oxygen free radicals are basically a highly reactive molecule/atom (depending on the composition) which possesses an unpaird electron group. They come about under high temperatures and generally from rapidly breaking-down of various organic molecules which possess oxygen atoms.

This is why they can be derived from burning and inhaling any type of smoke from a combusting source. They are abundant simply because any form of combustion possessing oxygen atoms have the potential to create free radicals.

They generally react INCREDIBLY fast because of their unpaired electron, but because of the high heat nature of burning/smoke, they can be somewhat stabilized long enough to still be reactive by the time they enter the lungs.

The cancer causing mechanism of free radicals is when the oxygen free radical lodges into guanine residues in your cell's DNA. Now, Guanine almost always pairs with Cytosine in your genetic code, but when an oxygen residue is added, your cell recognizes it as an Adenine nucleic acid. These means during replication, instead of being matched up with a new Cytosine, it is matched up with a Thymine. This is where the actual discrepency/mutation in your genetic code occurs.

Alot of these mutations can be fairly harmless, simply because 90% of your DNA is non-coding sequences. It's only when the mutation lands on that 10%, and would have to mutate a specific, inhibitory/regulatory sequence where it can lead to cancer.

Unlike Polonium and Radon, oxygen free radicals are much MUCH smaller atoms/molecules, making them easier to enter your cell's membranes and penetrate into your DNA.

--------------------

OfflineLiquidSmoke

Re: weed lung cancer [Re: ninsega]
    #4648029 - 09/11/05 11:22 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

ninsega said:
Is there proof of someone getting lung cancer from Marijuana use, or is it simply possible? I don't hear about those old hippy pot smokers dropping from lung cancer. Agencies would definitely use a Marijuana/cancer link in anti-drug propaganda if they could.

The incidence of recorded cases of cancer from marijuana smoke are pretty much negligible for several reasons.

-Most patients with lung cancer from marijuana smoking usually also smoked cigarettes. It is practically impossible to trace the actual source of cancer when it's already grown and proliferated.

-There's no record of any direct causing of lung cancer from marijuana smoke simply because it's all based on probabilities and experiments using isolated tissue samples or non-human lab animals. Although plenty of experiments have been done exposing tissue to combustion, which has lead to the development of cancerous cells in vitro.

--------------------

Offlineph30n1x
the next jerry

Re: weed lung cancer [Re: ninsega]
    #4648049 - 09/11/05 11:32 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

lol so much info, liquidsmoke poses good points. i duno how credible this link is, i think very credible tho. since liquidsmoke seems to be very knowlegable, if u could read the article in this link and tell me what u think of it id appreciate it. and also some of ur argument was about cigaretts, completly forget abuot cigaretts. id like u to explain to me how smoking weed harms the lungs, and which chemicals (if u know em) are the harmful ones in the smoke. and if weed in particular is cancerous, like aside from the fact that smoke in general can cause lung cancer. thanks
btw, what do u think about vaporizers, particualrly the volcano (top of the line vapoizer), as far as minimizing health risk.

Edited by ph30n1x (09/11/05 11:35 PM)

Offlineph30n1x
the next jerry

#4648052 - 09/11/05 11:32 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Offlineninsega
Lucky Bastard
    #4648056 - 09/11/05 11:34 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

How harmful do you suppose weed is compared to smog?

OfflineLiquidSmoke

#4648064 - 09/11/05 11:39 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

i'll address this stuff tommorrow, i need to get some sleep for class.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Seeds Store Cannabis Seeds   Amazon Magic Flight Launch Box, Vaporizer

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience