Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinefoxyhotme
goose
Male
mycelium colonizing the dry verm.layer......and dont use quitled jars.....
    #4646451 - 09/11/05 04:50 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

hey guys,great news...my friends first grow is goin good so far.
A few cakes are just about done colonizing and one is actually in the fruiting chamber...waitin for those pins.  :grin:
but anyway several of the jars have mycelium finding its way to the dry verm layer and not stopping.( half pint pf tek jars with brf. B+ cubes) The first cake ready had mycelium that had made it to the surface and was under one of the inoculation holes and has a greenish red speck...which im assuming is some air born contaminant.....right? could i cut it off or what? How can one stop the dry vermiculate layer from colonizing?....if thats even common .
any feed back wouldbe great...i never fail to get some help from this group of friends.... thanks

oh and one more thing, anybody thats gonna be getting jars....dont get the quilted kerr jars...unless they arent quilted on the inside too...becuase the indentions make obstacles for the mycellium and also damage the cake when removing from the jar. or so ive found

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineShroomInduced
I read too manymycology books
Male

Loc: A giant mushroom in my he...
Re: mycelium colonizing the dry verm.layer......and dont use quitled jars..... [Re: foxyhotme]
    #4646468 - 09/11/05 04:54 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

To stop the myc from growing into the vermac, you can spray it down with water to keep it at bay. As far as your speck, id say its contam, cut it off asap. make sure you take that part and some from around it incase it has spores on the cake.

--------------------
That's a deep kiss too, like the Europeans. You know, the French, they have to unhinge their jaw to show love.

Computer Fan Tek
Vote for you favorite strain of cubes 97 choices!

Offlineixitwistedixi
The TwIsTeD One

Re: mycelium colonizing the dry verm.layer......and dont use quitled jars..... [Re: foxyhotme]
    #4646469 - 09/11/05 04:54 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks for the tip about the quilted jars i seen those and passed them up kuz i tohught something like that would happen. I too have had myc. grown on dry verm. layer. It doesnt seem to be much of a problem other than that contam. And yes you can cut it off :wink:

Offlinefoxyhotme
goose
Male
Re: mycelium colonizing the dry verm.layer......and dont use quitled jars..... [Re: ixitwistedixi]
    #4646532 - 09/11/05 05:10 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

alright cool.
thanks
hey one more .... the perlite i used had little rocks that werent white in them, but it says sterile so i guess anything in there is okay but i did also find dead preserved spider in there also.. could that be a bad batch ?

OfflineShroomInduced
I read too manymycology books
Male

Loc: A giant mushroom in my he...
    #4646540 - 09/11/05 05:12 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

im assuming your using the perlite humidification tek, if you want to be extra carful, throw som hydrogen peroxide in with the water in your perlite. about a 1:10 dilution should work well. you might want to make it even a little stronger since its not actully touching the myc.

--------------------
That's a deep kiss too, like the Europeans. You know, the French, they have to unhinge their jaw to show love.

Computer Fan Tek
Vote for you favorite strain of cubes 97 choices!

Offlinefoxyhotme
goose
Male
Re: mycelium colonizing the dry verm.layer......and dont use quitled jars..... [Re: ShroomInduced]
    #4646566 - 09/11/05 05:22 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

yea im using hydrogen peroxide with it... do you think i should be using gloves while handling the cakes...or is washing themenough...

Offlineixitwistedixi
The TwIsTeD One

#4646685 - 09/11/05 06:08 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I Use gloves so as not to contamanate anything else but your cake should be fine. I read on here a while back that a fully colonized cake cannot be contamanated. (That could be wrong though there is alot of misleading info out there)

Invisiblemusher_420
Stranger

Re: mycelium colonizing the dry verm.layer......and dont use quitled jars..... [Re: ixitwistedixi]
    #4646726 - 09/11/05 06:20 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I had plenty of spiders in my verm so far it dosent seem to much of a problem. I got low form bernardin 1/2 jars they have a slight hour glass shape on the inside.. Made it almost impossalbe to get my cakes out.

--------------------
My Humidifier Reservoir Expansion Tek

Must read links for beginners

Btw- You are not what you own!

Offlineixitwistedixi
The TwIsTeD One

Re: mycelium colonizing the dry verm.layer......and dont use quitled jars..... [Re: musher_420]
    #4646745 - 09/11/05 06:27 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

musher_420 said:
I got low form bernardin 1/2 jars they have a slight hour glass shape on the inside.. Made it almost impossalbe to get my cakes out.

HUH? - Ok. I see what your talkin about now, that was confusing me for a second.

Edited by ixitwistedixi (09/11/05 06:29 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation