Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlineoneoverzero
veteran
Loc: Cyber Space
Dead Sea Scrolls - Published!
    #463859 - 11/19/01 08:31 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

THE SCROLLS and fragments, providing insights into what the Hebrew Bible looked like 2,000 years ago, were discovered in caves between 1947 and 1956 on the shores of the Dead Sea, and the decades since have been spent in painstaking and controversial research and conservation for their eventual publication.

Professor Emmanuel Tov, editor-in-chief of an international committee on the Dead Sea Scrolls, announced the publication of 37 large-sized volumes at a news conference in the New York Public Library. He added that an additional 15 volumes were also ready for publication.

?Modern technology was very important to our team,? said Tov, who has headed the project since 1990. ?We decided to make the camera copies ourselves. E-mail was absolutely necessary, and I could not have done this in 10 years without e-mail.?

Tov said he worked in a small office at the Hebrew University in Jerusalem with desktop computers and laser printers. Digital photography and multispectral imaging enabled scholars to read what was not previously visible on the fragments.

The volumes of scrolls, translated from writings in Hebrew, Aramaic, Greek and Latin dating from 250 B.C. to A.D. 70, were published by Oxford University Press under the title ?Discoveries in the Judaean Desert.?

Full story: http://www.msnbc.com/news/658286.asp

I wonder what, if any or how much, impact this publication may have?

--------------------
[red]0011 0001 0010 1111 0011 0000[/red]

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: Dead Sea Scrolls - Published! [Re: oneoverzero]
    #463887 - 11/19/01 08:55 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Archaeolgically speaking, it can have a major impact in giving us insight into the culture and mindset of the day.

As to the impact of the words themselves? Seems as if you are very hopeful. Well, words are not insight nor experience. None of the great spiritual works have improved mankind one bit. Yes, the rare individual takes them to heart, but by and large they have had no effect on the human condition.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

OfflineAxiom420
ADDICT

Loc: in the forest, behind the...
    #463912 - 11/19/01 09:16 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Tov may be one of the experts but he doesn't care to comment much on the possible effects of the scrolls on old testament textual criticism. Either he is protecting his reputation from being marred to the eyes of future history or perhaps he doensn't really care for the meaning of the texts and cares only about what they may symbolize.

Other scholars, professional or hobby, will doubtlessly poke away at it comparing every fragment to whatever manuscripts they have available to them, or to whatever printing of the Old Testament in Hebrew just happens to be lying around. It will give more people the opertunity to examine for themselves the accuracy of our modern Hebrew texts.

It will add a new, previously unimaginable, facet to the realm of textual criticism. Perhaps a rebirth of the studies, similar to the activity in the 19th century. It will create enitrely new fields of specialization in the field of textual criticism.

However, I doubt that it will shake the texts, they haven't yet, at least thats what the people that have worked on them have said, and they're top of the field you know. Anyway, I'm an applauder of Brotzman and Waltke. They, as well as a few others are pushing new ground in the field of exigesis, most people won't have hear their foot steps in the greater picture of things for decades, and not very well for maybe a century.

But maybe I don't have a clue and I'm just stoned.

BHS Rules! (and if you think that may be a high school don't bother to criticize my post you lame flamers!)

--------------------
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
- Albert Einstein

Offlineoneoverzero
veteran
Re: Dead Sea Scrolls - Published! [Re: Axiom420]
    #463994 - 11/19/01 10:21 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Well thanks groove cat for the well informed reply! I'd like to know what the cost would be to get the 37+ volumes, for say, our libraries? (I think the Oxford Dictionary = $2,000 for the 20 volume set, for an example).

I can't help but compare this publication to the "original" original publication of text:

A page from the Gutenberg 42-line Bible, 1456

Seems like a full circle to me, in a way...

--------------------

OfflineAxiom420
ADDICT

#464017 - 11/19/01 10:45 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Hey, if you'd like to see scans of Hebrew texts tell me the book and chapter and how to post 'em here and you will.

--------------------
- Albert Einstein

Offlineoneoverzero
veteran
    #464048 - 11/19/01 11:22 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah I would like to see. It's actually simple when you write your post, click on the "Put picture(s) in this post.", then browse the hard drive for a *.JPG, for example. Upload & insert the returned, image markup code, in your post.

Something Psalms perhaps (the very top image is a Psalm).

--------------------

OfflineAxiom420
ADDICT

#464425 - 11/20/01 10:46 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah, i know the resolution is sucky but it says i can only do 125k, this is the first psalm.

this one is verse 14 from chapter 3 of the book of exodus, "I AM THAT I AM".

These are both scans from the Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia (BHS) which contains all the information that Rudolf Kittel would have had in his BHK, had he not died first. The notes to the side are the Masora parva, which are a coded link to the Masora magna which is a resource that presents all notes from the Massorites on a particular word or letter. The BHS also contains a critical apparatus, in the lower margin not shown in my scan, that compares all ancient texts on a particular word or lettering, with the notable exception of the dead sea scrolls.

The appearance of the dead sea scrolls have had not effect on the BHS due to one main factor the scrolls cover such a small portion of the Old Testament texts. They have no more differences from the other ancient texts as the others have between themselves, which is never enough to change the sense or the meaning of the words.

What the dead sea scrolls will contribute is more pieces of information regarding the transmission of the texts up to this point. They only confirm that the texts we have today are really pretty good concerning the amount of time between today and the time of the authorship of the originals.

Anymore questions?

--------------------
- Albert Einstein

OfflineAxiom420
ADDICT

#464429 - 11/20/01 10:52 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah! My first post with pictures. Cool.

--------------------
- Albert Einstein

Offlineoneoverzero
veteran
    #465021 - 11/20/01 08:58 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Hey great, AxiomTimeToGetHigh, hehe... this thread is lookin' cool with the differing images!

Ya know, it just seems in a very very small way... similar to the same process used in publishing the Dead Sea Scrolls - they used scanners, email (we use posts), and working together.

Cool!

--------------------

Offlineoneoverzero
veteran
    #465027 - 11/20/01 09:07 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Oh, also (you may know by now) you can use the same upload for images to give yourself a screen image, inserted into the "personal information" part of "control panel" up top there :wink:

--------------------

OfflineAxiom420
ADDICT

#483578 - 12/07/01 08:55 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

I found evidence of current traces of influence the dead sea scrolls in the december 2001 national geographic in an article by Tadeusz Witold Szulc. its an article with current information and history that might be interesting to some of the followers of this threadl.

--------------------
- Albert Einstein

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale