Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineUnagipie
Pilgrim -DBK鰻

Loc: The Trenches of France
Does Katrina expose federal incompotence?
    #4643846 - 09/10/05 11:33 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I know this has probably been discussed numerous times, but many have consistently noted that Hurricane Katrina was an act of God, etc, and nothing could have really been down except measurements to prevent deaths.

The levee system, for one thing. In the media, the flooding of New Orleans is often portrayed as the "Aftermath of Katrina". What this really exposes though are esoteric dangers, that being levees, and other man-made measurements to curb the disasterous impact the forces of nature may have. I mean, instead of Hurricane Katrina flooding New Orleans, it could have just as easily been a massive terrorist bomb that breached the Levee. If there was no hurricane, just a bomb and then New Orleans flooded and killed thousands, well the emberassment would likely be fairly great considering the general mentality after 9-11 was that while terrorists may be able to strike in America again, they would never be able to exploit a loop hole to kill thousands again (much like the 9-11 terrorists did, taking advantage of America's ignorance of suicide terrorism and the endless destructive possibilites that can transpire when someone willingly sacrifices himself to make an attack). But, it wasn't a bomb that breached the levees, it was a Hurricane.

Hurricane Katrina was in many ways a test to homeland security in America and the federal government failed. After 9-11 most people had the mentality that terrorists would never be able to exploit a loop hole to kill scores of people - that being, 9-11 set some precedent.

In regard to the levee system that protected the City-in-a-Tub, a hurricane simply got to it before Al-Qaeda could.

--------------------

Don't fight it. Just let the illuminados take over your mind. You be at bliss soon.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: Does Katrina expose federal incompotence? [Re: Unagipie]
    #4643899 - 09/10/05 11:50 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

And how does a hurricane breaching a just-upgraded levee show the incompetence of the federal government? At worst it exposes the incompetence of whichever contractor performed the work. And maybe not even then -- it's entirely possible the work was up to specification, but due to the hydrostatic pressure of the storm surge softening up the soil upon which the levee was resting, unequal stresses were generated the levee wasn't designed for.

Phred

--------------------

OfflineUnagipie
Pilgrim -DBK鰻

Loc: The Trenches of France
Re: Does Katrina expose federal incompotence? [Re: Phred]
    #4643912 - 09/10/05 11:55 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

From what I understand, there were 3 major security threats that were noted by homeland security last year (or this year even) as I saw on the news recently, that being an earthquake in San Francisco, a transit bombing on New York's underground, and a levee breach in New Orleans.

--------------------

Don't fight it. Just let the illuminados take over your mind. You be at bliss soon.

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

Re: Does Katrina expose federal incompotence? [Re: Unagipie]
    #4643983 - 09/11/05 12:18 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

The main thing to learn from this incident is that when you live in a potential disaster zone, you need to prepare for that disaster. I don't expect the federal government to go out of their way to reinforce potential disaster zones because then I am paying disproportionate amounts of tax money for someone to build their home in a well-known dangerous location. San Francisco is not prepared for a major earthquake but really whos fault is that?

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: Does Katrina expose federal incompotence? [Re: Catalysis]
    #4644352 - 09/11/05 01:56 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Catalysis said:
San Francisco is not prepared for a major earthquake but really whos fault is that?

The gays.

OfflineMrBump
Third prize is you're fired
 User Gallery

Loc: Where Art Meets Crime
Re: Does Katrina expose federal incompotence? [Re: Catalysis]
    #4645117 - 09/11/05 10:06 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Catalysis said:
The main thing to learn from this incident is that when you live in a potential disaster zone, you need to prepare for that disaster. I don't expect the federal government to go out of their way to reinforce potential disaster zones because then I am paying disproportionate amounts of tax money for someone to build their home in a well-known dangerous location. San Francisco is not prepared for a major earthquake but really whos fault is that?

nice post, i totally agree. State and local governments in LA should take the lion's share of the blame. The disaster affected all of the US in one way or another. But its an utter annahilation to the State of Louisiana and the City of New Orleans. State and local government should have allocated time and resourses to develope a plan for the eveivitableness of a hurricane hitting there....far more than the fed. government.

Everyone wants the federal government out of their face's, until a natural disaster happens. then we all run to Uncle Sam's withered teet and bitch when its dry.

Yes, FEMA did not perform well at all under the pressure. I have read somewhere that there was a huge brain-drain in FEMA that occurred about 2 years ago. a lot of good leaders left to take cushy private security firm jobs. Obviously, mike brown was not up to the task, and a little blame lies with the guy who hired him.

However, the state and local governments let their citizens down, and i hope California takes notice and learns from this.

--------------------
If it weren't for the bloody corpses, I wouldn't have any corpses at all.

There are two ways to get to the top of an oak tree: start climbing or sit on an acorn.

Are you a carrot, an egg, or a coffee bean?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion