Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Microscope

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineQuantumMeltdown
Space Monkey
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Misdemeanor Drug Court Opens-Aimed at Marijauna Users
    #4641171 - 09/10/05 10:26 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/broward/sfl-spotcourt10sep10,0,6909295.story?coll=sfla-news-broward

Marijuana suspects face tough scrutiny

Broward drug court program first of its type

By Joe Kollin
Staff Writer
Posted September 10 2005

A young man who spent a year in jail for robbery, an older man with a conviction for selling cocaine and a medical student were among the 25 or so marijuana suspects who agreed to live under a microscope for the next few months as a way to protect their futures.

Broward County Court Judge Gisele Pollack on Friday held the first session of Misdemeanor Drug Court, the nation's first devoted to those charged with possessing less than 20 grams of marijuana or possession of marijuana-related paraphernalia.

"They have to know that it won't be easy to complete this program, and that I'm not going to let them get away with anything, and that punishment will be swift and hard," she said.

Those in the program must be randomly tested, take substance abuse classes, get treatment if necessary and let deputies search their homes. If they successfully meet the terms, there would be no record of conviction, no automatic two-year suspension of their drivers' licenses, no jail time and no $1,000 fine.

The Broward Sheriff's Office will monitor their compliance closely, as will the Broward-Dade Safety Council, which is providing education, evaluation and referral for treatment.

On Friday, "everyone who came in really wanted it," Pollack said of the defendants, who are from throughout Broward.

They include Ronald Ross Jr., 20, of Hollywood, who wants everyone to know he is turning his life around despite his record, which includes jail time for robbery, burglary and grand theft.

"I did a lot of stupid things in my childhood, so the program can help me change my life for me and for my girl," said Ross, who wants to be a lifeguard. "It will make me a better man."

He added, "I ain't smokin' more marijuana."

His father, Robert Ross Sr., 43, of Miramar, said his son, "has the potential to do good. He was a B student in high school, an all-star basketball and football player, but he got with the wrong crowd."

Another of those put in the program is a 19-year-old male college student, majoring in business management.

The defendant, who is among several who didn't want their names published, told how police picked him up.

"Me and my friends were acting like immature young kids and one thing led to another, and that led to being in the wrong place at the wrong time, or maybe the right place at the right time," he said. "We were in a car, a cop came over and busted us."

He jumped at the chance to get in the program because it "helps take [the charge] away from your record, helps your career or, if you have a job, it teaches you the bad side effects of drugs."

Others ordered into the program included a 52-year-old man who said it would be worth it despite his history of four felonies, including delivery of cocaine, a man in his 20s who has been accepted into medical school and a young man who turned 21 on Friday.

"What a nice birthday present your son is giving you," Pollack told the man's father.

The court is focusing on marijuana, once considered a recreational drug, because it isn't any more, according to Doug Hughes, executive director of the safety council and Florida's former drug czar.

"Marijuana today isn't the marijuana our parents knew," he said.

It is so strong and addictive that Broward hospital emergency rooms now routinely treat pot overdoses, Pollack said. And the price has skyrocketed to between $450 and $600 an ounce.

"Now they have to commit a crime or sell to pay for their addiction," she said.

--------------------
-QuantumMeltdown

Total abstinence is so excellent a thing that it cannot be carried to too great an extent. In my passion for it I even carry it so far as to totally abstain from total abstinence itself.
  -Mark Twain

"The time has come the walrus said, little oysters  hide their heads, my Twain of thought is loosely bound I guess its time to Mark this down, Be good and you will be lonesome
Be lonesome and you will be free
Live a lie and you will live to regret it
That's what livin' is to me
That's what livin' is to me"
Jimmy Buffett

Edited by QuantumMeltdown (09/10/05 10:27 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibledblaney
Human Being

Loc: Here & Now
Re: Misdemeanor Drug Court Opens-Aimed at Marijauna Users [Re: QuantumMeltdown]
    #4641204 - 09/10/05 10:39 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

The court is focusing on marijuana, once considered a recreational drug, because it isn't any more...

...after those darn aliens sprayed all the pot in the country with special lasers to make it super duper strong and powerful and addictive.

--------------------
"What is in us that turns a deaf ear to the cries of human suffering?"

"Belief is a beautiful armor
But makes for the heaviest sword"
- John Mayer

Making the noise "penicillin" is no substitute for actually taking penicillin.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." -Abraham Lincoln

OfflineQuantumMeltdown
Space Monkey
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Misdemeanor Drug Court Opens-Aimed at Marijauna Users [Re: dblaney]
    #4641278 - 09/10/05 11:07 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I like the part where they say the prices sky rocketed to $450-650 an Oz. I regularly buy super dank O's for half as much as their lowest figure.

--------------------
-QuantumMeltdown

Total abstinence is so excellent a thing that it cannot be carried to too great an extent. In my passion for it I even carry it so far as to totally abstain from total abstinence itself.
  -Mark Twain

"The time has come the walrus said, little oysters  hide their heads, my Twain of thought is loosely bound I guess its time to Mark this down, Be good and you will be lonesome
Jimmy Buffett

InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

#4641577 - 09/10/05 12:32 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

"Now they have to commit a crime or sell to pay for their addiction," she said.

If it were legal, taxed, and regulated we wouldn't have this fucking problem. How god damned ignorant can these folks be? I'm really getting fed up with all this bullshit. Common sense, reasoning, and logical thinking skills would point anybody to the correct answer: FUCKING LEGALIZE.

OfflineQuantumMeltdown
Space Monkey
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Misdemeanor Drug Court Opens-Aimed at Marijauna Users [Re: DNKYD]
    #4641636 - 09/10/05 12:53 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Unfortunately politics don't have anything to do with reason or logic.

--------------------
-QuantumMeltdown

-Mark Twain

Jimmy Buffett

InvisibleLe_Canard
I AM NOT A FISH!

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #4641840 - 09/10/05 01:50 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

QuantumMeltdown said:

It is so strong and addictive that Broward hospital emergency rooms now routinely treat pot overdoses, Pollack said.

:what: "Pot overdoses"...? Oh, please! If that wasn't so pathetic, it'd be funny.....

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Microscope

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service