Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
old hand
 User Gallery
Dealer gets 9 years in Ecstasy case
    #4641163 - 09/10/05 10:17 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Dealer gets 9 years in Ecstasy case

Sioux Falls man admits responsibility for woman's death

September 10, 2005
A 30-year-old man was sentenced to nine years in prison Friday for supplying the Ecstasy pill that killed a Sioux Falls woman in March.

Minnehaha County Circuit Judge Joseph Neiles asked Robert Lawrence Halsey whether it was fair to say he was responsible for the death of Desirae Marie Kirchner.

"Absolutely," Halsey replied.

Kirchner took one Ecstasy pill shortly before midnight March 21. She was given the pill by a friend, who had received it from Halsey.

Kirchner, who was celebrating her 20th birthday with friends, was taken to Sioux Valley Hospital after she had an adverse reaction to the drug.

She was taken off life support March 22.

Halsey, of Sioux Falls, was arrested on a charge of possession of a controlled substance with intent to distribute. He pleaded guilty in July.

"Somebody paid the ultimate price" for his drug dealing, said Paul Bengford, Minnehaha County deputy state's attorney. He asked Neiles to give Halsey the maximum sentence of 10 years in prison.

Halsey's lawyer, Jackie Meile, said Halsey was asked to get drugs for the party by a friend.

"Mr. Halsey didn't know any of the people at the party or the girl who died," Meile said.

"Robert is not a hardened criminal. He is a first-time felon.

"He is a user who definitely made a mistake in selling to a friend."

Halsey addressed the court before he was sentenced.

"On March 23, I was not only arrested but rescued" from a recreational drug habit, he said. "I truly regret and apologize for my actions."

He asked the court for a second chance to be there for his family, including his 3-year-old son and girlfriend.

"This mistake is costing me everything I care about and what I have," he said.

Kirchner "is not getting a second chance," Neiles said.

The judge said Halsey must serve two years and three months of his sentence before he is eligible for parole.

Halsey was ordered to pay more than $3,700 in court costs and lawyers' fees.

Before he left the courtroom, Halsey turned to his girlfriend, shook his head and said, "I'm sorry."

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator

Re: Dealer gets 9 years in Ecstasy case [Re: motaman]
    #4641169 - 09/10/05 10:26 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Loc: MA and IA
Re: Dealer gets 9 years in Ecstasy case [Re: RESTLESS]
    #4642798 - 09/10/05 06:05 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

wow, this is horrible, first time offense for a small time dealer who is repenting left and right, and he has a kid. gets possibly 9 years. that is very scary.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service