Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Loc: Smokey Mtns. TN Flag
Demons
    #4641120 - 09/10/05 09:44 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Do you believe they exist in a spiritual or metaphysical way. What i mean is have you ever met people who just you get a bad feeling from them that this person almost has a bad auora about them, but i mean everyone can have a demon that lives inside them (not literally speaking) and it feeds off your weakness and causes you to do irrational things that you will later regret, but some people are literally corrupted from absolute greed, especially when alcohol and greed comes into play.

Some people ive met were literally born evil and its simpleminded to say that but i knew this person who was a terrible kid in school
who would threated people with knives, he ended up killing somebody in 9th grade and now is in prison for life. What causes people to think so irrationally. Could it be from parents, or a chemical imbalance in the brain, society, too much television.

Also this problem seems especially prevalent in the united states.Could it be from sexual repression? Sexual repression in society has tend to result in higher sexual violence in women (this is evident in the mideast where women are forced to have clitorodectomies, killed,beaten and raped. Muslim men are not supposed to even look at another mans life.) Even in Christian society a rule is not to covet another mans wife, But more christians are being divorced than ever before. Also repression can lead to more serial killers how many serial killers could you name that came from repressive christian or strict ex-military parents.

It makes you wonder.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineQuantumMeltdown
Space Monkey
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Re: Demons [Re: The_Red_Crayon]
    #4641188 - 09/10/05 10:33 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I think theres just as much sick fucks in the Eastern World as there are here or anywhere else. We just hear about it more here because we live here and because we have a media that revolves around stories like that. I think its just a part of human nature that some people can't deal with.

--------------------
-QuantumMeltdown

Total abstinence is so excellent a thing that it cannot be carried to too great an extent. In my passion for it I even carry it so far as to totally abstain from total abstinence itself.
  -Mark Twain

"The time has come the walrus said, little oysters  hide their heads, my Twain of thought is loosely bound I guess its time to Mark this down, Be good and you will be lonesome
Be lonesome and you will be free
Live a lie and you will live to regret it
That's what livin' is to me
That's what livin' is to me"
Jimmy Buffett

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
Re: Demons [Re: QuantumMeltdown]
    #4641206 - 09/10/05 10:40 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Demons are a mental contruct. They are part of our psyche. Any aspect of self if indulged too much will assume a life of it's own even to the point of consuming the individuals personality ar causing them to engage in negative behaviors that give it energy. They are mental, but no less real. This is my take on fetishes, obsessions and mental illnesses.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

Loc: mountains and lakes
Re: Demons [Re: The_Red_Crayon]
    #4641241 - 09/10/05 10:53 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

The_Red_Crayon said:
Do you believe they exist in a spiritual or metaphysical way. What i mean is have you ever met people who just you get a bad feeling from them that this person almost has a bad auora about them, but i mean everyone can have a demon that lives inside them (not literally speaking) and it feeds off your weakness and causes you to do irrational things that you will later regret, but some people are literally corrupted from absolute greed, especially when alcohol and greed comes into play.

Some people ive met were literally born evil and its simpleminded to say that but i knew this person who was a terrible kid in school
who would threated people with knives, he ended up killing somebody in 9th grade and now is in prison for life. What causes people to think so irrationally. Could it be from parents, or a chemical imbalance in the brain, society, too much television.

Also this problem seems especially prevalent in the united states.Could it be from sexual repression? Sexual repression in society has tend to result in higher sexual violence in women (this is evident in the mideast where women are forced to have clitorodectomies, killed,beaten and raped. Muslim men are not supposed to even look at another mans life.) Even in Christian society a rule is not to covet another mans wife, But more christians are being divorced than ever before. Also repression can lead to more serial killers how many serial killers could you name that came from repressive christian or strict ex-military parents.

It makes you wonder.

It is difficult to figure out what is actually a christian demon.
If you look at how Jesus delt with them, they could be many things.
For example there was a woman I think that had some kind of seizures, sort of like epilepsy. It is quite possible that a demon was another word for neurological or psychological illness, just as the word sin could mean a genetic defect

--------------------
I descend upon your earth from the skies
I command your very souls you unbelievers
Bring before me what is mine

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: Demons [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4641257 - 09/10/05 10:58 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Huehuecoyotl said:
Demons are a mental contruct. They are part of our psyche. Any aspect of self if indulged too much will assume a life of it's own even to the point of consuming the individuals personality ar causing them to engage in negative behaviors that give it energy. They are mental, but no less real. This is my take on fetishes, obsessions and mental illnesses.

I agree.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisibleLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ny/europe/other
Re: Demons [Re: Icelander]
    #4641285 - 09/10/05 11:10 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

i second that.

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein
"Fear is the great barrier to human growth." ~ Dr. Robert Monroe

~~~*Dosis sola facit venenum*~~~

*Check my profile to listen to my music* :smile:

OfflineDelusion_of_Self
Stranger

Re: Demons [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4641503 - 09/10/05 12:12 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Huehuecoyotl said:

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

--------------------
"It is never a question of belief; the only scientific attitude one can take on any subject is whether it is true. The law of gravitation worked as efficiently before Newton as after him. The cosmos would be fairly chaotic if its laws could not operate without the sanction of human belief." -- Sri Yukteswar

Offlineleery11
I Tell You What!

Re: Demons [Re: Delusion_of_Self]
    #4652164 - 09/12/05 10:29 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

if demons are a mental construct, what does the devil represent? The shadow self? What is the shadow self?

I don't like it when I see the devil, but I would prefer to believe that he is a part of me.

--------------------
I am the MacDaddy of Heimlich County, I play it Straight Up Yo!

....I embrace my desire to feel the rhythm, to feel connected enough to step aside and weep like a widow, to feel inspired, to fathom the power, to witness the beauty, to bathe in the fountain, to swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human......
Om Namah Shivaya, I tell you What!

Edited by leery11 (09/12/05 10:29 PM)

Invisiblemecreateme
YoUisMEEMsiUoY
Male User Gallery

Loc: Memphrica
Re: Demons [Re: leery11]
    #4654327 - 09/13/05 12:03 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

He is the male side of you. He is the "denial" aspect of the universal polarity. Try checking out Sacred Geometry.

--------------------
No ONE wants to know the ultimate TRUTH, as soon as YOU find IT out, YOU want to forget IT.

You are everything's way of feeling itself.

Happy Schwag, everygodly!

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between
Re: Demons [Re: mecreateme]
    #4654623 - 09/13/05 01:28 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

(Devil)
He is the male side of you.
can't subscribe to that. Many cultures associate a strong female aspect to it...
It gets interesting, when you split him into Lucifer and Satan... Perhaps, that gets closer to male and female...

So then, where to locate him/her inside you ? Perhaps, the closest you get is, when looking at your ego itself.

--------------------
Though lovers be lost love shall not  And death shall have no dominion
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."Martin Luther King, Jr.
'Acceptance is the absolute key - at that moment you gain freedom and you gain power and you gain courage'

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Demons [Re: BlueCoyote]
    #4654808 - 09/13/05 02:08 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I agree with Huehuecotl quite a bit too, but think it is an oversimplification as well, especially the key into mental illness.

about being evil at birth - nahh, not likely at all, but
we do seem to start as complete beings right away with our own unique ways of expressing - with our own instinctual levels of tolerance to pain and hunger for satisfaction.

the demons are more from a chimeric way of viewing (i.e. dreamlike overlays and complexed with emotional baggage) and also as a useful way of explaining what goes on. Symbolically exorcising demons is useful too once a person or group actually agree on what "horrors" they are confronting which may have been collected into this demon metaphor for expulsion.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology