Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
FEMA Director sent to bed with no supper
    #4639582 - 09/09/05 08:42 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Coast Guard Vice Adm. Thad Allen will replace FEMA director Michael Brown as the on-site head of hurricane relief operations in the Gulf Coast, Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff announced Friday afternoon.

Brown will head back to Washington from Louisiana to oversee the big picture, the official said. (Full Story)

Allen has been an assistant to Brown in the Gulf region. (Allen profile)

While announcing the leadership change, Chertoff praised the FEMA director's response to the devastating storm. (Watch Chertoff's annoucement -- 8:26)

"Hurricane Katrina will go down as the largest natural disaster in American history," the secretary said at a news conference in Baton Rouge. "Mike Brown has done everything he possibly could to coordinate the response to this unprecedented challenge. I appreciate his work, as does everybody here."

Chertoff would not allow Brown to answer a reporter's question as to whether this was the first step in Brown's resignation. He also did not respond to a question regarding Time Magazine's report that Brown's resume contained inaccuracies. FEMA issued a statement calling the article "misleading."

Time magazine published an article Friday on its Web site questioning the qualifications of Federal Emergency Management Agency director Michael Brown . (Full Storyexternal link)

Chertoff said Brown would work on preparations for future storms, including Tropical Storm Ophelia, which is off the Florida coast. (Full story)

"FEMA is fully capable of handling multi-storm operations," Brown said in a written statement. "I am returning to Washington, D.C., to resume oversight over operations for the arrival of Hurricane Ophelia and the immediate response efforts."
Bush to revisit disaster area

Also Friday, the White House said President Bush will return to Mississippi and Louisiana on Sunday.

Bush will stay overnight in Louisiana before returning to Washington on Monday, White House spokesman Scott McClellan said.

The president is facing blistering criticism for his administration's handling of the disaster.

Bush first traveled to the region on September 2, four days after Hurricane Katrina made landfall and spread destruction along a huge swath of the Gulf Coast.

He returned to the region on Monday for another one-day visit.

During a speech at the State Department on Friday, the president said: "America is a strong and resilient nation. Our people have the spirit, the resources and the determination to overcome any challenge." (Watch Bush's comments -- 2:39)

"In this time of struggle, the American people need to know we're not struggling alone," Bush said. "I want to thank the world community for its prayers and for the offers of assistance that have come from all around the world."
Bush signs $51.8 billion aid bill

President Bush on Thursday night signed a $51.8 billion emergency spending bill after promising survivors of Hurricane Katrina earlier in the day that the federal government "is going to be with you for the long haul."

The Senate unanimously passed the aid bill on Thursday.

The House passed its version of the bill earlier in the day by a vote of 410-11. The 11 representatives who voted against it were Republicans.

Rep. James Sensenbrenner, R-Wisconsin, one of the Republicans who voted against the measure, said he was concerned the bill lacked accountability.

"While the people of New Orleans and other affected areas clearly need help, I am not convinced that this legislation will provide it," said Sensenbrenner, the chairman of the House Judiciary Committee.

Earlier Thursday, Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nevada, questioned FEMA's ability to spend the money properly and suggested that a public authority similar to the Tennessee Valley Authority be created for rebuilding efforts.

"After everything that has happened with FEMA, is there anyone who believes that we should continue to let the money go to FEMA and be distributed by them?" Reid asked.

Bush on Thursday night praised Congress for moving swiftly "in strong bipartisan fashion to approve these additional emergency funds."

Action on the aid appropriation came one day after the leaders of the House and Senate announced that a bipartisan joint congressional committee will review the response, at all levels of government, to the hurricane.

Congress passed a $10.5 billion relief bill last week. The $51.8 billion first sought by the Bush administration Thursday covers five weeks and amounts to roughly $1.4 billion a day.

The White House budget chief said "substantially more" money likely will be needed in the weeks and months ahead.

And Reid said Wednesday that the need for federal disaster aid could top $150 billion.
Hurricane victims to receive immediate aid

In an address aimed at the hundreds of thousands of Gulf Coast residents displaced by the August 29 storm, Bush outlined plans to distribute $2,000 in federal aid to every affected household for immediate needs and to supply them with long-term assistance in the months ahead.

He also promised to reimburse states for the costs associated with taking in people forced to relocate, telling state leaders, "You should not be penalized for showing compassion." (Full Story)

Families can register by contacting Federal Emergency Management Agency or Red Cross teams at emergency shelters, by calling (800) 621-FEMA or by visiting www.fema.govexternal link, Bush said.

The president also called for a national day of prayer.

"I ask that we pray, as Americans have always prayed in times of trial, with confidence in his purpose, with hope for a brighter future and with the humility to ask God to keep us strong, so we can better serve our brothers and sisters in need," he said.
Landrieu blasts federal response

On Capitol Hill Thursday, Louisiana's senior senator, Mary Landrieu, a Democrat, blasted the federal response to Hurricane Katrina, calling it "incompetent and insulting" to the people of her state.

"The record for rebuilding will be staggering, but it will pale in comparison to the staggering incompetence of this national government," Landrieu said in a speech on the Senate floor.

She also said it was unfair to fault local and state officials for what many have described as an inadequate response to the storm.

She also faulted Bush for failing to recognize the severity of the situation when the levees broke, noting that public service announcements featuring the Mr. Bill clay animation character have been warning about such a scenario for two years.

"We know the president said 'I don't think anyone anticipated the break of the levee.' Everybody anticipated the break of the levee, Mr. President," she said. "How can it be that Mr. Bill was better informed than Mr. Bush?"
Joint panel announced

On Wednesday, House Speaker Dennis Hastert, R-Illinois, and Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, R-Tennessee, announced that a bipartisan joint congressional committee will review initial local, state and federal government response to Katrina. (Full story.)

Democrats criticized the Republican leadership for not consulting with them before announcing that a panel would be created and whether the panel can conduct an unbiased investigation. They would prefer a commission styled after the independent commission that investigated the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

Hastert and Frist said in a written statement that the committee would report its findings to Congress no later than February 15 next year.

Critics argue the federal government took too long to mobilize aid, causing thousands of storm victims to languish for days without food, water and other necessities.

The size of the panel has not been announced, and there is no word on when the hearings will begin. However, GOP leaders have said they don't want to pull officials out of the disaster area to testify.

Aides to House and Senate leaders told CNN the committee will have subpoena power, and standing House and Senate committees can use the investigative findings to craft legislation for reforms.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/09/09/katrina.washington/

I hope he'll resign within the week. I wouldn't be suprised to see it.

Edited by Redstorm (09/09/05 08:52 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleOldSpice
Geritol Breath...
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crankytown, Texas
Re: FEMA Director sent to bed with no supper[ [Re: Redstorm]
    #4639608 - 09/09/05 08:51 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I saw him earlier being interviewed and yeah he was dodging the questions just like most the unqualified people in these high profile jobs allways do
He wouldnt even answer the questions about him spicing up his resume :mad:
Hes outta there :thumbup:

--------------------
So hard to be ....WDWGFH?
Texas is humongus compared to France
Our Gair, who art in Texas,
Paw Paw be thy Name....
My friends are thirsty

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrist office:biker:

OfflineJesusChrist
Son Of God
Re: FEMA Director sent to bed with no supper[ [Re: OldSpice]
    #4639781 - 09/09/05 10:00 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Talented people make money in the private sector. This guy looks like a lying no talent hack. Isn't it a crime to lie on your resume? I wonder what his federal paycheck is? That should be public information.

And what about "conservatives" who pass the relief bill that spends 1.4 billion dollars a day. You would think it would be hard to spend 1.4 billion dollars a day.

The new spending bill is for 51.8 billion dollars and is supposed to cover 5 weeks of glorious spending. Congress had already approved 10.5 billion. The are already estimating spending 150 billion dollars before the dust is settled. Don't these people have fucking insurance? I have insurance? Why the fuck do I have to pay my insurance bill?

Lets put that money in perspective.

The late Jack Kent Cooke was the legendary owner of the Washington Redskins. He decided to finance his own stadium out of his own money in the 1990's which is rare in todays world of the NFL. Teams often hold cities hostage for new stadia.

Jack Kent Cooke built a state of the art stadium, the largest in the NFL, for $180 million of his private funds. It is a massive and beautiful structure.

The 10.5 billion dollars that Congress passed last week could have built 58.3 state of the art NFL stadiums. The 50.8 billion dollars that they just passed could build another 288 more.

Sometimes we disrespect the numbers with abbreviations. $150 billion dollars actually reads like this: $150,000,000,000.00. That is quite a number. For the $150 billion dollars you could construct over 833 Jack Kent Cooke Stadiums.

They really are pretty. Could you imagine what the private sector could do with the money the feds are going to spend. They could build over 833 of these. And if you don't care for these, they could build a hell of a lot of the things that you like. I picked this example because it is one of the largest building projects that I know of financed by the private market.

To put it another way, I live in Ohio. In Ohio we have plenty of housing stock in the $50,000 - $100,000 dollar range. It isn't the most elegant, but there is no place like home. You can buy two families for $75,000 in my town. I just signed a purchase contract in my hood for a 6 unit (all 2 bedrooms) for $55,000.00. Granted, it is a depressed area, and they were asking 100k, but they took my offer. I am also planning to put in a substantial nut to rehab it nicely, but I still don't expect to have more than 150k in it when the dust settles, and that is for 6 2-bedroom units.

To put the money that Congress is spending into a home perspective, the 10.5 billion that Congress passed last week could purchase 140,000 homes worth $75,000.

The 50.8 billion that Congress is planning to spend over the next 5 weeks could buy 691,000 homes worth $75,000.

The 150 billion that Congress is planning to spend over the total reconstruction is the equivalent to buying 2 million homes worth $75,000 a piece.

2 million homes, free and clear.

And if my numbers haven't already geeked out enough, my 12 pack of beast light cost $4.99. If you took the total reconstruction spending in terms of pure beast light, you would have over 30 billion 12 packs. You could buy everyone in the whole fucking world a couple of cases of beer. You want to improve our image abroad. Let the rivers flow with beer.

Ok, now I will stop.

--------------------
Tastes just like chicken

Offlinephi1618
old hand

Re: FEMA Director sent to bed with no supper[ [Re: JesusChrist]
    #4639911 - 09/09/05 10:29 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Talented people make money in the private sector.

I take it you don't know anybody who works for a gov't contractor.

"Talented" doesn't exactly describe the people who make money - "unscrupulous" is closer to the mark.

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #4640039 - 09/09/05 10:57 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I bet we could get an even better deal if we made them build the houses at gunpoint.

Remember, soldiers are cheap, and one soldier with permission to kill you if you don't work fast enough can motivate the fuck out of hundreds of unscrupulous contractors and subcontractors.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

OfflineAnisotropic
Stranger
    #4640085 - 09/09/05 11:05 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I think we should call thousands thousands. Millions holy shit millions. And billions, HOLY FUCKING SHIT THATS ALOT OF ZEROS FUCKING BILLIONS.

OfflineJesusChrist
Son Of God
Re: FEMA Director sent to bed with no supper[ [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #4640091 - 09/09/05 11:07 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

You would make Adolph proud my friend. You could even use the dead bodies as clean fill and the hair as insulation.

I read an article about the mountains of rubble and garbage from the storm. They didn't know what to do with it. I started thinking, what a great way to build New Orleans up above sea level. Make it one big fucking landfill.

--------------------
Tastes just like chicken

Invisiblenewuser1492
    #4640127 - 09/09/05 11:13 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Are they really thinking about rebuilding the city under fucking sea level? You've got to be kidding.

Invisibletak
geo's henchman
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: nowhereland
Re: FEMA Director sent to bed with no supper[ [Re: newuser1492]
    #4643337 - 09/10/05 07:28 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Is it gonna be called New New Orleans?

--------------------
The DJ's took pills to stay awake and play for seven days.

OfflineVex
Stranger
Re: FEMA Director sent to bed with no supper[ [Re: tak]
    #4643638 - 09/10/05 08:45 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

They should rename it, Robo Orleans 2023.

We can have Robo Gras every year.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom