Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinePoopShooter
Escape Artist

Loc: PNW
I hate being wrong.
    #4639972 - 09/10/05 12:42 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I have trouble being wrong. When I'm wrong, I get really embarassed. It's gotten better lately, but I still struggle with it.

All of my life I was told that I was smart, when I never thought so. I guess it's caught up with me though, and driven it's little ego blade into my brain. Nowadays, I catch myself thinking that I'm right, and that I'm smart. I don't THINK it's gone beyond a little innocent pride, but I might be wrong....Who knows, maybe I'm making all of this up and I'm wrong right now :P. It might be worth mentioning that I don't do well in social situations. My words get jummbled, I stutter, and I can't think straight. This means that I'm wrong even more, and the vicious circle continues...

Does anyone have advice on dealing with being wrong? It makes me feel small and inferior, especially around people (peers) I don't know, or authority figures (teachers). I would really like to be able to express myself better and participate more in class discussions when I return to college next year.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineLiquidSmoke
My title's cooler than yours DBK

Loc: S.A.G.G.Y.B.A.L.L.S.
Re: I hate being wrong. [Re: PoopShooter]
    #4640110 - 09/10/05 01:10 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Look, I'll be dead honest with you.

I used to have that same ego problem. I thought because I went to a good school and scored at the top 1% of my class and top 4% nationally on the MCAT meant I was the ultimate shit in the world.

I mean coming to medical school did nothing but tempt to boost the ego some more.

But there's couple of things that I've come to realize.

1. There's no such thing as being "smart". Since all knowledge must be acquired from an external source, being smart is just relative. The person who reads the most books and obtains the most scientific knowledge should not be justified as somehow "superior" just because they choose to spend their time absorbing information spoon fed to them by books.

2. I do believe in something called "wisdom". I feel that it has more to do with mental clarity and the instinct to be in touch with one's own best interests, along with the consequences that they bring. And I can also tell you that without a doubt, the wisest people I have EVER met, I'm talking, by far the most brilliant, sharp individuals are also the most humblest, modest people. THey don't sit there trying to convince everyone else that they're smart. Simply because they are wise enough to realize that such acts are insignificant, and in the end, life will continue to be a learning process, because there is an infinite amount of things to learn.

The more you know, the more you realize just how little you know compared to everything there truely is to know.

And having problems with being "wrong" is more of an ego/pride issue than really a lack of being "smart". It comes about when you feel the need to defend your dignity. But that simply starts from placing your pride/dignity at risk to begin with. Instead of trying to confidently state you know certain things, you should try paying attention to when you're throwing your ego into such risk. This means when you present a certain stance or facts to someone, just admit why you think in such a way, rather than insisting on "this is the way things are".

--------------------
"Shmokin' weed, Shmokin' wizz, doin' coke, drinkin' beers.  Drinkin' beers beers beers, rollin' fatties, smokin' blunts.  Who smokes tha blunts?  We smoke the blunts" - Jay and Silent Bob strike Back

InvisibleLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ny/europe/other
Re: I hate being wrong. [Re: LiquidSmoke]
    #4640708 - 09/10/05 03:52 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

:thumbup: :thumbup:

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein
"Fear is the great barrier to human growth." ~ Dr. Robert Monroe

~~~*Dosis sola facit venenum*~~~

*Check my profile to listen to my music* :smile:

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: I hate being wrong. [Re: PoopShooter]
    #4641634 - 09/10/05 12:50 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Heres another way to look at it. Babies. They have to be wrong or they will never be able to walk. If a baby learning to walk, when he fell down said, oh boy big mistake and looked around to see if anyone saw it, then said I'm not gonna do that again. Well he'd never learn to walk. Mistakes and being wrong are the number one essential to learning. That is how we learn. Being wrong gets a bad rap.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

OfflinePoopShooter
Escape Artist

Loc: PNW
    #4642197 - 09/10/05 03:14 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Alright, thanks for the help guys. You've both given me some brain food to think about. I'll work on it for a few weeks, and hopefully I'll see some change. If not, count on me being back here  :wink:.

OfflineManicDelirium
MysteriousMycologist TechDeviant

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flawda
    #4643615 - 09/10/05 10:35 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

LiquidSmoke said:
1. There's no such thing as being "smart".  Since all knowledge must be acquired from an external source, being smart is just relative.  The person who reads the most books and obtains the most scientific knowledge should not be justified as somehow "superior" just because they choose to spend their time absorbing information spoon fed to them by books. 

2. I do believe in something called "wisdom".  I feel that it has more to do with mental clarity and the instinct to be in touch with one's own best interests, along with the consequences that they bring.  And I can also tell you that without a doubt, the wisest people I have EVER met, I'm talking, by far the most brilliant, sharp individuals are also the most humblest, modest people.  THey don't sit there trying to convince everyone else that they're smart.  Simply because they are wise enough to realize that such acts are insignificant, and in the end, life will continue to be a learning process, because there is an infinite amount of things to learn. 

:thumbup: nuff said

--------------------
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" --long live the great Gonzo

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being