Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineswingline
Stranger
 User Gallery

need an expert!
    #4639720 - 09/09/05 11:38 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

i am no expert, but i have a couple questions and i want answers from an educated person. i purchased a spawn bag of psil. cyan. from shamanic extracts, it's a lot smaller than i thought it would be, about 2x3 inches. what i want to know is can i get even one mushroom from it if i try to fruit? i already have some cardboard and alder chips soaking, but if i have a likelyhood of getting some fruit i'll just make a print and go from there.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: need an expert! [Re: swingline]
    #4639725 - 09/09/05 11:40 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah, if you expand that spawn to cardboard, you can make plenty to get some fruits.

I can't be specific, you weren't specific with how much spawn you have.  In volume, not inches :smile:

But nearly any amount of spawn can be multiplied enough to get fruits.  Assuming you know the rest of the cultivation paramaters for Ps. cyan?

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Offlineswingline
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: need an expert! [Re: mycofile]
    #4639730 - 09/09/05 11:43 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

i know i can continue to colonize and get fruit, but can the appr. 3 cu.in. spawn bag itself produce fruit?

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4639813 - 09/10/05 12:06 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

From the bag itself? Is it a wood based substrate? Do you have an environment for it that is inline with fruiting paramaters for Ps. cyan?

Perhaps you do, and if so, maybe. But my guess would be that if you are asking, then no you can't.

Use that spawn on some cardboard, and save a little to spawn some sterilized unsuplemented sawdust. Use the cardboard to start beds from the bottom, use the sawdust to make more cardboard, or more sawdust and then even more cardboard or directly to a mix of chips and dust. I doubt you'll get much outa such a small bag unless you know a lot about growing Ps. cyans, which it doesn't sound like you do.

--------------------

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

OfflineESanceOfCyan
MushroomMogul
Male User Gallery

Loc: SeaTown
    #4639832 - 09/10/05 12:10 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

The Spawn must be transfered to corrugated cardboard to fruit, you cant fruit it from spawn(as far as i know), it wants hard wood to fruit.

--------------------
Save Marc

www.emeryseeds.com
Holy dog shit! Texas? Only steers and queers come from Texas, Private Cowboy. And you don't look much like a steer to me so that kinda narrows it down. Do you suck dicks?
-Gunnery Sergeant Hartman(Full-Metal Jacket)

Offlineswingline
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: need an expert! [Re: ESanceOfCyan]
    #4639910 - 09/10/05 12:29 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

the myc. in the spawn bag is on a hardwood substrate, alder i believe.

i happen to have a very suitable enviro to grow it. i have decided not to attempt fruitong the bag. i am just hasty, i have cubes and azur. colonizing right now so i don't really need the cyans. i am not sure about the azures so i am just going to throw it under the cardboard tomorrow morning.

just thought of a new question, the terrarium i plan on using is fairly large, should i get something smaller going. the cardboard sheet i am using is the bottom of a 12 pk of canning jars and it nearly covers the bottom of my terrarium. i have plenty of alder chips and other cardboard. do you think that little bag will be able to colonize my cardboard?

OfflineESanceOfCyan
MushroomMogul
Male User Gallery

Loc: SeaTown
    #4640160 - 09/10/05 01:19 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

in Short: yes. Now for the long version: You need to build that spawn, i recommend getting scissors and cut up a piece of card board 11' by 8" (standard composition note book size), cut into very small strips, soak the strips then transfer the spawn, keep building the spawn as big as you can get it(the more the better), then in goes the sheet.

--------------------
Save Marc

www.emeryseeds.com
Holy dog shit! Texas? Only steers and queers come from Texas, Private Cowboy. And you don't look much like a steer to me so that kinda narrows it down. Do you suck dicks?
-Gunnery Sergeant Hartman(Full-Metal Jacket)

Invisibledeanofmean
mycophagous

Loc: PNW
    #4640544 - 09/10/05 03:06 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Office Max sells shredded cardboard as packing material,(works grate).
if you are using corrugated cardboard, soak it, and peal off the outer layer, it is often treated w/ waterproofing.
spawn it 10/1. keep it kool and moist.
have fun :smile:

Edited by deanofmean (09/10/05 03:16 AM)

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: need an expert! [Re: deanofmean]
    #4642221 - 09/10/05 03:20 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I think you have more than enough spawn to colonise that piece of cardboard, and a tbs leftover to make some sawdust spawn if you wanted to.

--------------------

Offlineswingline
Stranger
 User Gallery

#4642387 - 09/10/05 03:59 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

well, i soaked some cardboard strips, threw them in a baggie and put them in a drawer.
about how long for colonization, do you think

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation