Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Delicious Bacon

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineAnisotropic
Stranger
Bush lifts wage rules for Katrina
    #4639335 - 09/09/05 09:06 PM (12 years, 13 days ago)

http://money.cnn.com/2005/09/08/news/economy/katrina_wages.reut/
Bush lifts wage rules for Katrina
President signs executive order allowing contractors to pay below prevailing wage in affected areas.
September 9, 2005: 11:43 AM EDT

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Bush issued an executive order Thursday allowing federal contractors rebuilding in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina to pay below the prevailing wage.

In a notice to Congress, Bush said the hurricane had caused "a national emergency" that permits him to take such action under the 1931 Davis-Bacon Act in ravaged areas of Alabama, Florida, Louisiana and Mississippi.

The Davis-Bacon law requires federal contractors to pay workers at least the prevailing wages in the area where the work is conducted. It applies to federally funded construction projects such as highways and bridges.

Bush's executive order suspends the requirements of the Davis-Bacon law for designated areas hit by the storm.

Bush's action came as the federal government moved to provide billions of dollars in aid, and drew rebukes from two of organized labor's biggest friends in Congress, Rep. George Miller of California and Sen. Edward Kennedy of Massachusetts, both Democrats.

"The administration is using the devastation of Hurricane Katrina to cut the wages of people desperately trying to rebuild their lives and their communities," Miller said.

"President Bush should immediately realize the colossal mistake he has made in signing this order and rescind it and ensure that America puts its people back to work in the wake of Katrina at wages that will get them and their families back on their feet," Miller said.

"I regret the president's decision," said Kennedy.

"One of the things the American people are very concerned about is shabby work and that certainly is true about the families whose houses are going to be rebuilt and buildings that are going to be restored," Kennedy said.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
What? I don't get it, how does this help anyone but the rich? God dam construction workers, you know if they got payed 25 cents a day like the Indonesian children, all the money allocated for clean up would go alot further...

Edit... Seriously, I really want to know if there is any good reason for this. I mean are they getting like 200 dollars an hour or something?

Edited by Anisotropic (09/09/05 09:19 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

Re: Bush lifts wage rules for Katrina [Re: Anisotropic]
    #4639659 - 09/09/05 11:08 PM (12 years, 13 days ago)

No, but they make like $30 an hour. The end result would hopefully be putting more New Orleanians to work rebuilding the city. I can see the cause for concern but I can also see the cause for doing it.

Thousands of workers will be needed and many of them will be unskilled. It wouldn't make sense to require contractors to pay them prevailing wages during the crisis. That is why the clause was put into the original law.

OfflineJesusChrist
Son Of God
Re: Bush lifts wage rules for Katrina [Re: Catalysis]
    #4639872 - 09/10/05 12:22 AM (12 years, 13 days ago)

Prevailing wage laws hit underskilled minorities the hardest. Who is going to pay 30 bucks an hour to somebody that doesn't have the marketable skills to warrant it? You relax wage laws and it allows people with less skills to still compete in the market by giving a competative price for their labor.

In the same way the people hurt most by minimum wage laws are minority teenagers.

We shouldn't have any wage laws at all. They are bad for society, both rich and poor. The only people they benefit are the people that get the kush union jobs. And they don't hand those out to just anyone.

--------------------
Tastes just like chicken

OfflineAnisotropic
Stranger
Re: Bush lifts wage rules for Katrina [Re: Catalysis]
    #4640025 - 09/10/05 12:54 AM (12 years, 13 days ago)

That sounds nice in principal, but do we actually know that doing this will get more done? How do we know that this doesn't just mean the company owners get more profit?

If he does something like this, there should be a cap on the amount of money someone makes from this per-hour. But that would never happen.

If it wasn't tax money I would say these people deserve hazard pay. This has got to be a shit environment to work in, that comes with health risks.

OfflineProsgeopax
Jaded, yethopeful?

Loc: Appearing at a mall near ...
    #4640083 - 09/10/05 01:05 AM (12 years, 13 days ago)

You cannot do any worse than following government regulations for running a business. In California after a major quake, Gov. Pete Wilson opened up the contracting process for repairing and retrofitting freeways to higher earthquake standards and got it done under projections of both cost and time (he offered cash incentives to do so). Waving a magic government wand and decreeing something under hard constraints for wages, racial make up of workers and other such nonsense is a prescription for inefficiency and the gouging of taxpayers.

--------------------
Money doesn't grow on trees, but deficits do grow under Bushes.

You can accept, reject, or examine and test any new idea that comes to you. The wise man chooses the third way.
- Tom Willhite

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to change my opinions should I become aware of additional facts, the falsification of information or different perspectives. Articles written by others which I post may not necessarily reflect my opinions in part or in whole, my opinions may be in direct opposition, the topic may be one on which I have yet to formulate an opinion or have doubts about, an article may be posted solely with the intent to stimulate discussion or contemplation.

Offlinecb9fl
Senior ChildMolestationExpert
Loc: florida
    #4640089 - 09/10/05 01:06 AM (12 years, 13 days ago)

Eliminating or lowering minimum wage requirements can result in greater freedom to the worker. A worker who initially was unable to legally obtain a job making $5/hr would be able to if minimum wage laws were reduced or eliminated. That could be helpful to an unskilled worker. However the problem comes when government awards rebuilding contracts to specific companies effectively eliminating the free market. Government interference, as usual, eliminates competition in the market place. I see it as removing the checks and balances placed on business while giving them monopolistic control.

--------------------
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide

"Generosity is nothing else than a craze to possess. All which I abandon, all which I give, I enjoy in a higher manner through the fact that I give it away. To give is to enjoy possessively the object which one gives."

OfflineProsgeopax
Jaded, yethopeful?

Loc: Appearing at a mall near ...
Re: Bush lifts wage rules for Katrina [Re: cb9fl]
    #4640098 - 09/10/05 01:08 AM (12 years, 13 days ago)

You mean like no-bid contracts for Haliburton?

--------------------
Money doesn't grow on trees, but deficits do grow under Bushes.

You can accept, reject, or examine and test any new idea that comes to you. The wise man chooses the third way.
- Tom Willhite

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to change my opinions should I become aware of additional facts, the falsification of information or different perspectives. Articles written by others which I post may not necessarily reflect my opinions in part or in whole, my opinions may be in direct opposition, the topic may be one on which I have yet to formulate an opinion or have doubts about, an article may be posted solely with the intent to stimulate discussion or contemplation.

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Bush lifts wage rules for Katrina [Re: Prosgeopax]
    #4640109 - 09/10/05 01:10 AM (12 years, 13 days ago)

Much like that.

Invisibletak
geo's henchman
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: nowhereland
Re: Bush lifts wage rules for Katrina [Re: Redstorm]
    #4643347 - 09/10/05 09:33 PM (12 years, 12 days ago)

My company just got a 1.3 billion dollar no bid contract. They are offering time and a half to anyone who goes, and pretty much sending them whether they like it or not. I have been told that there will be NO hiring of locals.

--------------------
The DJ's took pills to stay awake and play for seven days.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Delicious Bacon

General Interest >> Political Discussion