Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
What Matters to You?
    #4639018 - 09/09/05 07:38 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Most people I know in RL are sick to death with Hurry Disease.  They cram their schedule full with junk, spend all day running in a vain attempt to do it all, and then beat up on themselves when there are items left on the big TO DO list.

It seems as though they have not stopped to consider what actually matters to them, as well as being in denial of the fact that days are 24 hours long, two thirds of which we spend sleeping, eating, cleaning our body, cleaning our home, and reading junk mail. :wink:

When I began reading about Simple living a few years ago, I took on the first challenge: decide what matters to you, and do ONLY that in addition to the unavoidable chores & junk.  What a revolution!

Are you still dealing with Hurry Disease?  How do you decide what to add to your schedule, and what to say NO to?

What really matters in your life, and how much time do you allow for those things vs. obligations you take for granted but could ditch if you chose to?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

Loc: Building 7
Re: What Matters to You? [Re: Veritas]
    #4639109 - 09/09/05 08:00 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Nothing really matters,
Anyone can see,
Nothing really matters-,nothing really matters to me,

Any way the wind blows....

--------------------
Anxiety is what you make it.

Offlinedaimyo
Monticello

#4639138 - 09/09/05 08:07 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Cooking, family, bettering the world.

--------------------
"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

Invisibleclone
Remote Viewer
 User Gallery

Re: What Matters to You? [Re: daimyo]
    #4639722 - 09/09/05 11:39 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

uhh.. well work first and foremost. music and pot next. bills come second. after that i have nothing but free time. fuck a to do list. why make stuff for myself to do. i will do what i do when i do it. so i guess im not hurried, i just float along, usually as happy as can be.

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
    #4639797 - 09/10/05 12:02 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

It's true, but what does it matter? Isn't their life basically the same either way? Some people even love this disease, and become depressed when they no longer have work and society to distract them.

As for what matters to me, sheer entertainment is the highest essence for which we can strive.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

Invisibledorkus
don't look back
 User Gallery
Re: What Matters to You? [Re: Ravus]
    #4640712 - 09/10/05 03:53 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Some people even love this disease, and become depressed when they no longer have work and society to distract them.

This is not because they love the dis-ease. They run from their selves, stopping makes them face silence - themselves. Stuff comes up. Restlessness is tension, boredom the beginning of self-deception.

I liked the post on Kafka. Anyone re-member? :grin:

People matter. I don't spend much time with them, but they matter. I will help those I encounter if possible. And animals. All sentient beings.

Yesterday I carried a spider out of my bathroom and left it out in the grass. It wanted me to, and made me happy. Happiness matters too. :grin:

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between
    #4640808 - 09/10/05 04:39 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Oh yes, happiness..that we can't stive for, but only release inside us.
I use a shedule only in work, to not forget some important things, which matter for work only.
After work, it matters for me to come down of the immense speed and stress of work, so that I have more room for conscious decisions.
All the private other stuff is in my head and it really comes up to the situation and the moment, if and what matters... If I can't remember a thing, it didn't matter to me. Things that matter, I always try to hold present, or my subconscious sets of some alarm, if I am near a matter-fact, so that I can decide freely.

--------------------
Though lovers be lost love shall not  And death shall have no dominion
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."Martin Luther King, Jr.
'Acceptance is the absolute key - at that moment you gain freedom and you gain power and you gain courage'

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
    #4642841 - 09/10/05 06:16 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Knowing and remembering that in any moment, I can choose what I make matter to me. Knowing and remembering that , that is how I manifest things of matter in my life.

If I make a beautiful yard matter to me, I will manifest through efforts a beautiful yard, a thing of matter.

If I make a bright white shiny smile matter to me, I will manifest through efforts a bright white shiny smile.

I can make something not matter anymore and relieve myself from putting effort into it as well.

What matters most to me is knowing and remembering that what I make matter and into things of matter is my choice.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

OfflineDoinkybottoms
UnorthodoxNewbie
Re: What Matters to You? [Re: Ravus]
    #4643071 - 09/10/05 07:53 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Ravus said:
Some people even love this disease, and become depressed when they no longer have work and society to distract them.

These people are the sheep who need People magazine and politics for something to do with themselves because their god won't allow them to do anything else. Seriously, people get used to closing their minds to everything because of "words of wisdom". Then they end up in the suburban dream, BORED AS HELL. And consider that on a broader scope than just drugs and sex.

So the point is that they are pretty much empty so they need external things to fill themselves up. All this and they call ME materialistic for worshipping the stoner munchies. Mmmmm, munchies....

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
Re: What Matters to You? [Re: Doinkybottoms]
    #4645424 - 09/11/05 11:59 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

""These people are the sheep who need People magazine and politics for something to do with themselves""

Amen..

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
Re: What Matters to You? [Re: Doinkybottoms]
    #4645753 - 09/11/05 01:34 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I have to comment here that 'typology,' as in the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI), is a very important consideration in your comments. This forum is predominated by Introverted types. I would venture to say Introverted Intuitives (that's 2 out of 4 dimensions in the MBTI). Introverted Intuitives have a very rich inner life, whereas Extraverted types by-and-large, are by nature, oriented towards the outer world of places, people and events. America is a predominantly Extraverted society characterized by 'spectator' sports, and spectators are focused on externals.

Many years ago a friend and I took a really good hit of acid. I wanted to use the energy to go within, but he had me walk for miles and miles. When I finally sat down in the middle of a grassy field on a sunny day, he threatened to leave me there if I was going to meditate! A clear example of Introvert-Extravert typology. He wanted to 'look at things' with his senses (he was probably an Extraverted Sensing type, and more than likely as ESFP of the 16 types).

The point is, we must try to understand these important differences in typology. I have less and less to do with most people socially, because my type (INTP) and (thank goodness!) my Lady's (INTP) are only 1%-3% of the American population. People don't get us for the most part, and while we are both fairly accurate at typing people (I have done this professionally for many years), and try to accomodate our expectations of them, we much prefer to be with people who are like us. Unfortunately for us, we're a small minority.
And you're correct - certain Extraverted types are indeed inwardly empty and unfortunately for them, they fill their inner void with more data from the outer world, rather than symbols and images that have come from or which lead one to the inner world.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology