Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Boomr Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSirTripAlot
Semper Fidelis
Male User Gallery

Loc: Harmless (Mostly)
Casing question
    #4638542 - 09/09/05 03:40 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Is Pasturizing a coir/ verm mix very important?

If it is, if I tolk the casing mixture, put it in a plastic bag and boiled it for 15 min, and let it completely cool off before using it.

Would that make it contam free?????

--------------------
“I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblebackupwards
peon

Loc: somewhere else
Re: Casing question [Re: SirTripAlot]
    #4638848 - 09/09/05 04:51 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

yes the boiling would sterlize it. don't think it will make a difference for the casing.
:peace:

Offlinecobainkal
Stranger
Pasturizing... [Re: backupwards]
    #4640362 - 09/10/05 12:09 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Pasteurizing=170 degrees.

Pasteurizing does not kill everything. it is used mainly with horse poo, to kill the bad stuff, whilst retaining beneficial bacteria to help the mycellium.

Sterilizing=250 degrees.

Sterilizing kills EVERYTHING, and is what we do to the substrate before introducing the cubensis spores, or to our casing mix, or to any instruments you'll be working with. Basically, it ensures that something will be contaminate-free.

Now, if you were going to do something to the casing mix, it would be sterilizing, so that no contams could get at your mycellium. That said, I think that the community is split on this one, with some people feeling that it is important, and some people feeling that it isn't. My suggestion is that you get in the habit of practicing sterile techniques at all times. This way, you'll never have to worry about there being a 10% or 20% or 50% chance that your unsterilized casing will contam. You'll KNOW, because you sterilized it.

Boiling for 15 minutes would not make it contam-free, but you'd probably be alright.

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Casing question [Re: SirTripAlot]
    #4641009 - 09/10/05 04:46 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

You can wet it and nuke it in the microwave too. MAKE SURE it's wet before you nuke any casing!

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

Invisiblebackupwards
peon

Loc: somewhere else
Re: Pasturizing... [Re: cobainkal]
    #4641130 - 09/10/05 07:49 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

cobainkal said:

Boiling for 15 minutes would not make it contam-free, but you'd probably be alright.

right depending on how much casing material is being boiled.

I myself just pasturize the casing mix when I do a batch of poo, haven't seen any reason to fully sterilize it.

Offlinewillmafingerdo
the noob
Male User Gallery

Re: Pasturizing... [Re: backupwards]
    #4642482 - 09/10/05 02:35 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

ya if you use the microwave make it a lil wetter than it should be.. ive used the microwave to sterilize all my casing layer materials and have not had a problem yet.. ive even used left over casing material thats about a month or 2 old with no contams yet..  i just mix it all up in a big microwave safe bowl and when i think its mixed up enough and wet enough i cover with syran wrap and microwave for 2 min, shake it up, nuke it for 2 more min.. and if im feeling frisky ill repeat 1 more time then leave it sit out (still covered to cool) while im at work and when i get home i case..  but that me thouh.. :smile:

--------------------
:scaryshroom: :shitstorm: :mattz: :bongload: :gethigh: :scaryshroom:

I am not lost.. i am going there looking for it.. and when i get there and find it, i will know what it is..

"The way to stop violence is not to go out and let your head be beaten in but to say, you want to take my life risk yours!"

"are you sure u want to eat all them shrooms??"  "yes i want to hear what my mind has to say..."

remember opions are like assholes, everyone has one and they all stink.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Boomr Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags