Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Salvia, San Pedro

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinemikeyboy
Stranger

Loc: UK
Sleep Paralysis + Astral projection
    #4638821 - 09/09/05 06:45 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I have a case of sleep paralysis. Several times a week i will experience it.

I have heard that it is "useful" for making out of body experiences happen, anyone got any information on this topic? It sounds interesting  :smile: :thumbup:

I've gotten to the point now where i'm not "scared" anymore and can give in to them and let them run their course.

Cheers all  :thumbup:

--------------------
LSD: Defrag for the brain

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineadamj
Superhero
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, CAN
Re: Sleep Paralysis + Astral projection [Re: mikeyboy]
    #4639019 - 09/09/05 07:38 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah I still experience sleep paralysis quite a bit. Same deal, at first it was scary. Now it's just kind of annoying :smile: Heh

But yeah during the sleep paralysis you can just let your mind run wild under 100% control. Feel like jumping off a cliff and flying away? Just imagine.... *lotto 649* haha sry had to throw that it.

Offlineleafing
i like the sun
Male User Gallery
Re: Sleep Paralysis + Astral projection [Re: adamj]
    #4639311 - 09/09/05 08:57 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

i experienced that.. the second i hit my pillow to go to sleep i feel this electrical buzzing in my brain and at the same time become paralyzed (as the buzzing increases so does the paralysis) then i am seeing my self from the roof paralyzed then i hear me scream loud but my body just layed there still than i black out for a second quikly after the scream like i closed my mind and retreated into it. then wake up and am scared shitless.. afterword i go to sleep same thing happens but start to have intense dreams but am in control (not total control because my reasoning seems off)

--------------------

"The psychedelic experience is just the temporary disruption of psychophysics and the telepathic emergence of synchronic linguistics "

~Leafing~

InvisibleFunkyLoFi
Existing

Re: Sleep Paralysis + Astral projection [Re: leafing]
    #4639466 - 09/09/05 09:53 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

What exactly is sleep paralysis, and is this something that happens from taking hallucinogens?

Invisiblesever
Where am I?
Re: Sleep Paralysis + Astral projection [Re: adamj]
    #4639635 - 09/09/05 10:58 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

~

Edited by sever (07/17/06 05:45 PM)

OfflineKidgardFromSRQ
Strange

Re: Sleep Paralysis + Astral projection [Re: sever]
    #4639756 - 09/09/05 11:54 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

i got that while i was in this hotel down in the keys. i thought i was having a flash back because i couldnt move, but i got this wierd cev of an alien head rotating with flashing lights around its collar and i would change in and out of a line at a mcdonalds. it was nuts, although it felt like it was for a good 5 minutes.

--------------------
Be nice to people in general. Even if you don't like them.

Offlineheavensgate
Stranger
Re: Sleep Paralysis + Astral projection [Re: KidgardFromSRQ]
    #4695850 - 09/22/05 05:37 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I have much experience with sleep paralysis, and some with astral projection...

Back in my teens, sleep paralysis would happen to me very often, at times, nearly every other night. At first it was scary, but I learned to get myself out of it, waking up when it happens...usually.

Supposedly the reason it happens, is that when you go to sleep, your brain releases some hormone that prevents you from physically reacting to things you experience in dreams. Sleep paralysis is usually when you become "awake" consciously, but not physically, as the hormones are still working.

There is definitely a sense of being disconnected from the normal world while this happens. In a book available online written by Yogi Ramacharaka, a guide to oriental occultism, it actually explains the "astral world" very similarly in a first hand guided way, to an experience that I had during sleep paralysis. And it is also said that when we dream, it is our astral bodies travelling on the astral plane...the next plane of existence after the physical world.

The "astral body" is supposed to be a sort of transport which carries your soul to even higher planes, after the physical body has died. And with practice, many Yogis (according to this text, and others) can leave their physical bodies at will, travelling in the astral body.
What does this have to do with sleep paralysis? Well, when it happens, I believe you are still existing in the astral plane, but inside your physical body and just not quite ready to "wake up" in the physical body. The theory of the hormones is disputed.

I have had several out of body experiences, probably all but 1 having started after sleep paralysis. The first time it happened was a life changing experience almost just because of the depth of it, and the shock of what was going on. It was more crazy than anything that would happen in an acid trip, but I wasn't on any kind of drug at the time, and I was in completely clear conscious mind. I had also yet to try any psychedelic at the time it happened, so don't attribute the experience to some kind of effects from drug use...the only thing I had used at the time was occasionally smoking pot.

I was extremely tired one day, and slept on a couch. I then had a very strange vivid dream, driving my car on a specific road near my house, that seemed to signal something in the future. I'm not going to go into the details of the dream because it isn't important for my story, but it wasn't really too out of the ordinary except that I can remember it in such great detail, and that it seemed real. But the important part of it, is that at the beginning of the dream, I specifically remember standing up and getting off the couch from sleeping. So, I basically thought I had awoken from my nap, when everything happened, but I was still asleep. Then, at the end of my dream, I remember lying back down on the same couch (in my dream), but upon which I was currently actually sleeping, physically.

After this, the dream ended, and I began to experience typical sleep paralysis, where I couldn't move....but I could see. (Sometimes I can see and sometimes I can't when it happens, although I could swear that my eyes aren't actually open when it happens) So, I was trying to jerk myself out of the sleep paralysis episode using this technique that I would use in order to break myself out of it in the past. Usually I do this by focusing all of my mental energy, and trying to all of a sudden, move a part of my body quickly, at once. This time I did it, and I actually fell off the couch...BUT my body was still lying/sleeping on the couch. And this has happened to me many times, where I know my physical body is still asleep on the bed or couch, yet my conscious "body" is on the floor. I can specifically remember feeling the texture and shape of the side of the couch, the carpet, and everything where it should be as if I were lying next to the couch on my floor. Yet I wasn't actually on the floor. And I am certain this was not a dream, as I was completely conscious, and had just been in a state of sleep paralysis, and should have woken up.

After this, I seemed to slip back into my physical body, which was lying on the couch. It was then that my body started to be taken over by a strange vibrating force, and I could also hear some kind of humming sound. (I later read in the yogi's text this exact description of a humming and vibrating when leaving the physical body). When this happened, I left my body momentarily, floating above my physical body which was still on the couch. Then I slowly went back down into the physical body. I could also "feel" or KNEW that some entity was near me. There was no doubt in my mind that someone or something was there with me, on the astral plane, when this was going on...and I later read in the chapter that there are "astral helpers" that guide travellers on the plane, etc. Things that I normally would have dismissed as being completely ridiculous. But I could definitely feel the presence of some conscious being, in energy form, in the same room that I was in by physical measure. This was where I started getting kind of scared, as I had no idea what was going on. Then my body started vibrating and humming much more intensely than before, and I knew I was about to be taken somewhere far away, or shown something that was very important, I don't know, but I could feel something like I was about to take a long or far trip to the unknown...and this entity was pulling me to it. This feeling made me really scared, as at the time, I had no knowledge of any of these happenings. So I just remember specifically repeating to the entity that "I dont want to go, Im not ready"...I was just sending that message in my thoughts, psychically I guess...then the vibrating and humming stopped, and I woke up....I was shaking, breathing hard, and really scared/shocked.

I had heard of "out of body experiences" and things such as what had just happened to me, and never gave any thought to it, other than it was crazy people telling a nice story. Until this happened to me, by no choice of my own. And I also now have started to subscribe mroe to Yogi beliefs about existence on different planes, and life after death, which I have read quite a lot about since that experience happened. And everything that was explained in that decades old occult book about the "astral plane" seemed to be an exact description of what had happened to me, which caused me to give much respect and consideration to the yogi beliefs, as no other religious description had been so close to me personally with explaining some crazy experience I had, and that others have as well.

I would occasionally have more experiences similar to the first one, where I would leave my body...but I have/had trouble "letting go" and just going wherever I was meant to...the first time it happened, according to the Yogis, I probably should have just let go, and gone with the entity to see what would happened. But as explained in the book, the mind has a strong connection to the physical body, and is basically all it knows. So in order to break free from the body, and rise higher in the spiritual world, requires complete detachment from worldly objects and desires, and having no fear...and you must be prepared. I still haven't been able to just let go during these experiences. Most of them happened to me just on their own, but during certain instances of sleep paralysis, I learned to initiate it on my own, and actually was able to leave my body by my own will. But after that, I couldn't do much but come right back into my body, as I still couldn't really leave, mentally, I wasn't ready. Which might be one reason I turned to psychedelics, in order to help me release my fear, and just let go, and experience what I should experience. Although I've never had more than a level 2 trip, as I can't even get a hold of any entheogens where I am.

Sleep paralysis rarely, if ever, happens to me anymore, and I don't know why. If you are interested in truly exploring higher forms of existence, and not just getting high, then sleep paralysis is a great place to start, as you can learn with practice to travel outside the physical world...the book about oriental occultism by yogi ramacharaka can teach you a lot about it as well.

And don't reply saying "i call bs" or something like that, because I've heard it before, and I don't really give a shit, my experience is my experience whether you choose to believe it or not...and maybe you can try it one day, and possibly "break on through" like I still haven't achieved. I would hope to though one day...and I still would like to practice more with entheogens, if I can attain them...thinking of ordering san pedro. And then hopefully with that type of "practice", I can really just experience what I should have experienced that first day, with no fear and no doubts.

Peace brothers, damn this is longer than I thought it would be

OfflineLazyCrash
I like gas.
Male User Gallery

Loc: T-Town
Re: Sleep Paralysis + Astral projection [Re: heavensgate]
    #4696297 - 09/22/05 07:07 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Great post.

--------------------
:mallow:

Invisibleninjapixie
 User Gallery

Re: Sleep Paralysis + Astral projection [Re: mikeyboy]
    #4697270 - 09/22/05 10:14 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I get sleep paralysis quite often.

The most memorable one was where I saw this long black elastic looking shadow, like those black demons from the movie Ghost, floating across my room. I could feel someone holding down my legs and this overwhelming pressure all over my body, similar to the rolling pressure of a salvia trip. The scariest part was when I heard an infant child whispering in my ear in some tounge I could not decipher. It was as if it were calling me, summoning a part of my being out of me to its world, like I was the subject of an exorcism.

And all that I'd learnt about letting go, about giving in, surrending myself to reach a higher plane was thrown out the window as I lay drowning in fear. When put in a life or death situation (so it seemed), all my beliefs learnt from psychedelics and eastern philosophy were like ghosts I clung to, empty and unpalpable, ripped to shreds by my instinct to survive.

I find I can get pretty far now by letting go and allowing the experience to take me where it wants, but always the fear would end up too strong and I would fight to wake up.

I've found my sleep paralysis episodes more powerful, alien, and other-worldly then any of my psychedelic explorations, even more powerful then when I combined salvia and dmt (yeah it kicked my ass).

--------------------
Put that monkey back in the oven.

Offlineheavensgate
Stranger
Re: Sleep Paralysis + Astral projection [Re: ninjapixie]
    #4697309 - 09/22/05 10:32 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Yea some people have unpleasant experiences, including the sensation of other beings around, even evil entities...if sleep paralysis is really a conscious state in the astral plane, then it could be that you saw/felt an actual entity which exists on a higher plane. All the teachings I've read of course show that none of these can really hurt you, and that sometimes there would be unfriendly beings or what have you that try to scare people back to their place. It can be scary...remember, fear is the first enemy in accomplishing anything of importance. If you can't get past fear, you have no hope of moving on. Which is why psychedelics are something I would like to use to exterminate my fear, so I can get through to the other place. It is harder than it sounds though, as most people know.

InvisibleVirgilKane
Miner for truth and delusion
 User Gallery

Loc: lowdown
    #4697333 - 09/22/05 10:37 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Great thread.

More please!

--------------------
Absense of evidence is not evidence of absense...

"Religion is a defense against a religious experience"
              Carl G. Jung

"So really, ordinary reality is a kind of chemical habit, sanctioned by culture, which says it's okay to use certain drugs, eat certain foods, and have certain sexual behaviors. However, when you transcend all this pre-conditioning by returning to the original wisdom of the animal body, then you discover this immense dimension of opportunity. For some people, it is a frightening risk. To me, that's the psychedelic experience."
Terence McKenna

Invisibleninjapixie
 User Gallery

#4697354 - 09/22/05 10:41 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I'm a little skeptical of the scientific explanation of the paralysing hormones as afterall, people move when they're dreaming. That makes the possibility of there actually being an entity even more real, though I still have my doubts about that as well.

The scariest thought is that if you do go, you can never come back and all that you've built in this world is left in this plane of existence.

--------------------
Put that monkey back in the oven.

Offlineheavensgate
Stranger
    #4697605 - 09/22/05 11:32 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Yea, actually a lot of people I have talked to and read of the subject have rejected that theory about the hormones...and if that were true, you wouldn't be able to "will" yourself out of the paralysis like I have done many times. It would just depend on whenever the hormones wear off.
I don't believe anything is scary about it, in theory, but when it comes down to the experience it freaked me out. It is said that the people who remain attached to the physical world, and physical objects/desires, will fail to rise to any higher planes. And souls are reincarnated over and over basically, until enlightment is reached, and then you just continue to exist in a higher plane, but there are an endless number of planes in existence...this is just from the reading I've done, and according to that, so you can form your own opinion. But it described my experience so realistically, that I have to believe what it says.

I can try to get the link to the online version of this short book and the chapter about the "astral world"

edit:

http://www.geocities.com/thehiddengate/yoga/lessons_toc.html

chapter 10 is the astral world chapter, and explains everything very well...this is from a book that was written in 1903

Edited by heavensgate (09/22/05 11:36 PM)

Offlineleery11
I Tell You What!

#4697782 - 09/23/05 12:11 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

ninjapixie said:
I'm a little skeptical of the scientific explanation of the paralysing hormones as afterall, people move when they're dreaming. That makes the possibility of there actually being an entity even more real, though I still have my doubts about that as well.

The scariest thought is that if you do go, you can never come back and all that you've built in this world is left in this plane of existence.

that might be a scary thought but it isn't particularly accurate. and what do you mean people move in their dreams? Only if they are vividly dreaming in NREM or have a REM sleep disorder. Sure they twitch and stuff but they can't get up and walk unless something is going wrong.
Quote:

heavensgate said:
Yea, actually a lot of people I have talked to and read of the subject have rejected that theory about the hormones...and if that were true, you wouldn't be able to "will" yourself out of the paralysis like I have done many times. It would just depend on whenever the hormones wear off.

why in the world not? Think about a nightmare. One moment you are paralyzed and engaged in a dream, and the next moment you are wide awake and capable of movement. How do you explain that if "hormones" cannot quickly go away? You will yourself out of sleep paralysis just like you will yourself out of lucid dreams. It's all dependant upon how early/late in REM you are. I've had lucid dreams where I can't for the life of me wake up and I've had sleep paralysis where I can't for the life of me GET up and keep having false awakenings.

But generally most sleep paralysis happen toward the very end of REM sleep as the mind starts to wake up but the body lingers on dreaming. Hence you are in a delicate border state that can sometimes be worked out of.

These are my opinions, anyway.

--------------------
I am the MacDaddy of Heimlich County, I play it Straight Up Yo!

....I embrace my desire to feel the rhythm, to feel connected enough to step aside and weep like a widow, to feel inspired, to fathom the power, to witness the beauty, to bathe in the fountain, to swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human......
Om Namah Shivaya, I tell you What!

Offlineheavensgate
Stranger
Re: Sleep Paralysis + Astral projection [Re: leery11]
    #4698435 - 09/23/05 01:32 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Sleep paralysis also happens before you completely fall asleep, and can happen anytime if your conscious mind wakes up...I've had times where I would be sleeping, then my mind would wake up and I would be in sleep paralysis, then I would force myself out of it...after that I would move around for a little or maybe get a drink, go back to the couch and lie down, and almost instantly fall back into sleep paralysis...and I would kind of drift between this state, and a sleep state the entire time.

Edited by heavensgate (09/23/05 01:33 AM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Salvia, San Pedro

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience