Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleOgla
 User Gallery

Corn Cob Litter as substrate/casing
    #4627964 - 09/06/05 10:37 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Do you guys think it'll work as substrate for PF tek/casing tek? it is used for pets and absorbs water very well. it is course cob from the middle of the corn plant and plus there already is a popcorn tek, so i dont see why it wouldn't work. Dose anyone have any input?

Edited by Ogla (09/06/05 10:51 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleOgla
 User Gallery

Re: Corn Cob Litter as substrate/casing [Re: Ogla]
    #4628109 - 09/06/05 11:08 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

nobody has any opinions?

Invisibledoubledutch
Morado PR

Loc: Puerto Rico
    #4628594 - 09/07/05 01:09 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Actually, I had this in a terrarium with a box turtle when I was 10 or so.  Looking back and remembering the stuff... it actually may work for retaining moisture (like Perlite in a tub) but I'm not sure if it'd work as a good substrate.  I guess it'd have to since corn grain is used successfully - but think about this: that's the fruit (corn) and this is the rind (cob).  Not sure about it's nutritional content.  Good luck if you try it though, and let us know.  Use this thread to post a followup if you do.  :smile:

--------------------
"A delightful, wholesome experience for the family." - Desson Thomson, THE WASHINGTON POST

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...rue#Post5481456

omfg~dutch!

OfflineProsgeopax
Jaded, yethopeful?

Loc: Appearing at a mall near ...
    #4629206 - 09/07/05 09:26 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I have seen corn cob used as part of substrate mixtures in bulk (composted) recipes. By itself it doesn't have enough nutrients. I was thinking of using a combination of coir and corn cob as a vermiculite replacement in a PF tech and have already done some experiments with water absorption compared to vermiculite to get the right ratios so I wouldn't have to alter anything else. For each 1/2 cup of vermiculite, 1/3 cup corn cob plus 1 1/2 tablespoons of expanded dried coir absorbs the same amount of water and expands to the same final volume. I have no idea how this will perform in a cake including how it gives up water or how water evaporates from it as compared to vermiculite.

Do not use corn cob as a casing layer unless you like contams.

--------------------
Money doesn't grow on trees, but deficits do grow under Bushes.

You can accept, reject, or examine and test any new idea that comes to you. The wise man chooses the third way.
- Tom Willhite

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to change my opinions should I become aware of additional facts, the falsification of information or different perspectives. Articles written by others which I post may not necessarily reflect my opinions in part or in whole, my opinions may be in direct opposition, the topic may be one on which I have yet to formulate an opinion or have doubts about, an article may be posted solely with the intent to stimulate discussion or contemplation.

InvisibleOgla
 User Gallery

Re: Corn Cob Litter as substrate/casing [Re: Prosgeopax]
    #4629226 - 09/07/05 09:34 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

that settles it. im going to walmart today and getting corn cob litter. What i was thinking was corncob litter and BRF around it. Or part and part litter and verm. IM gonna give this experiment a go and let you guys know whats up.

Offlinejohahnchristo
breaktech beatengineer

#4629279 - 09/07/05 09:55 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

If i remember right somebody at the nook tried this with mixed results, but that was like 2 years ago, so I don't remember any details.

--------------------
Shows I will be spinning at
Where Life Begins-Aug. 27th
Epidural Sept 2nd/5th
Enchanted Remixed sept 15/16th(for those who missed the first)

Offlinedjsage420
aka DJQBNSIS
 User Gallery

Loc: Panhandle
Re: Corn Cob Litter as substrate/casing [Re: johahnchristo]
    #4629282 - 09/07/05 09:57 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Hmmm maybe you just stumbled on a substitute for vermiculite!!!!

--------------------
If you put your head to the grass, you can hear it growing

InvisibleOgla
 User Gallery

Re: Corn Cob Litter as substrate/casing [Re: djsage420]
    #4629621 - 09/07/05 11:35 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

i think so too. I just came home from walmart with the litter. Im gonna find my digital camera and make a full documentary.

OfflineProsgeopax
Jaded, yethopeful?

Loc: Appearing at a mall near ...
    #4633684 - 09/08/05 11:57 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Corn cob expands more than vermiculite when exposed to water, you're going to have to play around with the amount of water to get the right ratio for your substrate.  My experience suggests that having too much water in the substrate is worse than having less than the optimal amount. 

:thumbup: Good luck and keep us informed.

--------------------
Money doesn't grow on trees, but deficits do grow under Bushes.

You can accept, reject, or examine and test any new idea that comes to you. The wise man chooses the third way.
- Tom Willhite

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to change my opinions should I become aware of additional facts, the falsification of information or different perspectives. Articles written by others which I post may not necessarily reflect my opinions in part or in whole, my opinions may be in direct opposition, the topic may be one on which I have yet to formulate an opinion or have doubts about, an article may be posted solely with the intent to stimulate discussion or contemplation.

InvisibleOgla
 User Gallery

Re: Corn Cob Litter as substrate/casing [Re: Prosgeopax]
    #4637112 - 09/09/05 07:49 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

update; I made 15 jars with Corn Cob Litter in PF Style Cakes. some were Corn Cob with BRF and the rest were Corn Cob and WBS Mix. I found that Incubating the Jars is difficult because of the dry Corn Cob on top. It is too hard for the needle to go thru any of the corn cob and risk bending or breaking the needle. I managed to incubate the jars by removing the foil and lid and laying down-side up and wedging the needle along the inside edge. of course i used oust to battle air-born contaminates. An easy solution i can think of is to use coir or something that the needle can pass thru easily as the dry layer on top for the PF style litter cakes.

Edited by Ogla (09/09/05 07:51 AM)

OfflineTwissted1
Amanita Phalloides
Loc: Florida
    #24593558 - 08/31/17 02:56 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

New to the Forum. I was curious about your results, I have some old shell polishing media "corn cob" from reloading and was considering using it as an ingredient in a batch of BRF.. Any info would be appreciated.

OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Loc: Van Isle Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Corn Cob Litter as substrate/casing [Re: Twissted1]
    #24593750 - 08/31/17 04:34 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Don't bother bro is superior

--------------------

It doesn't matter what i think of you...all that matters is clean spawn

I'm tired do me a favor

InvisibleOgla
 User Gallery

Re: Corn Cob Litter as substrate/casing [Re: Twissted1]
    #24598996 - 09/02/17 06:10 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Twissted1 said:
New to the Forum. I was curious about your results, I have some old shell polishing media "corn cob" from reloading and was considering using it as an ingredient in a batch of BRF.. Any info would be appreciated.

Wow,  this was such a long time for me ago, I hardly remember it.  Think it caught mold. If I had to try again, is probably chop it finer and mix it with birdseed, rice or something

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix