Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinea_h_w
Stranger
new age vs. materialism
    #4633220 - 09/08/05 10:35 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

many threads in this forum end up polarizing into this two different world views which usually end up antagonizing each other to the extent of annihilating the topic itself. I thought it would be nice if people could test a little bit their believes, so that they get to know themselves better and also what others believe so they can tolerate others perspectives more easily.

the following questionnaires were taken from http://www.himalayanacademy.com/resources/books/hbh/hbh_ch-6.html where you can find similar questionnaires for all the world's most prominent religions / belief systems

NEW AGE

The term new age was coined in the 1970s to denote an awakening of the mass consciousness to deeper realities and the need for individual attunement with universal, higher consciousness and creative transformation. In practice, new-age thinking embraces myriad enlightenment teachings (mostly of Eastern origin) -- from crystalography to Zen, parapsychology to holistic medicine.

NEW AGE BELIEFS

1. I believe in the one Eternal Source or Ultimate Reality, called by many names, which flows through all forms of nature and can be known through spiritual realization and experience.

___ DO BELIEVE ___ DO NOT BELIEVE ___ ONCE BELIEVED ___ UNFAMILIAR

2. I believe in unseen worlds and beings who may interact with our world, and that some are benevolent and help guide and protect us, while others are malevolent, and that channeling, or mediumship, is a means of contacting such souls.

3. I believe that the world is a dynamic, conscious entity; that mankind is but one part of the cosmic ecology and that, as stewards, we must treat the world responsibly, with love, respect and reverence.

4. I believe that consciousness is present in and conveyed through some structures more than others. Thus, for example, crystals are powerful sources or channels of knowledge and spiritual strength.

5. I believe in meditation, trance, rebirthing, self-healing, channeling, past-life regression, crystals, sexual tantras, drugs and more as effective tools in the quest for wholeness and oneness with the sacred, and that one should continue to explore alternatives and not feel restricted to the disciplines of any one system of thought.

6. I believe the world has entered the New Age, the age of Aquarius, awakening to the consciousness of love, selflessness, compassion and creativity, from the old age of hatred, war, ignorance and greed. Those who perceive this vision should share it with others to uplift society.

7. I believe that traditional religions are outmoded and that we are moving toward a universal brotherhood; yet, the Eastern religions and so-called primitive faiths are rich reservoirs of truth and spiritual practice.

8. I believe in nonconformity and noncommitment: that each person is responsible to his-her own conscience only and not to the dictates of society which often unduly hamper freedom of expression, and that even spiritual gurus are to be approached with circumspection.

9. I believe that many of society's traditional economic and social structures are outmoded and should be abandoned for ones which reflect new-age consciousness, and that dropping out of society is a valid new-age alternative.

MATERIALISM

Materialism is the opinion that "nothing exists except matter and its movements and modifications." In practice it is "devotion to material needs or desires to the neglect of spiritual matters; a way of life, opinion or tendency based entirely upon material interests" (Oxford Eng. Dict.). There is a vast range of philosophies based on materialism, often embracing the philosophy of Western science, including determinism, or predetermination, the view that events occur by natural law and the results can be the only ones possible.

MATERIALIST BELIEFS

1. I believe that all religious endeavor is a waste of time and energy, that there is no God, and all so-called paranormal or psychic phenomena are quackery and superstition.

2. I believe that there is no such thing as the soul; death of the body is death of the mind, and there is no reincarnation or afterlife.

3. I believe that the material universe, governed by natural laws and chance, is the ultimate and only reality and that all apparently nonmaterial substances, such as mind, are explicable as modifications of matter.

4. I believe that science is the means of understanding all the secrets of the universe, for all phenomena are the result of material processes which are governed by predictable, natural laws.

5. I believe that free will is an illusion; that each event, being a fortuitous combination of particles and forces, can only happen in one way and is thus predetermined (deterministic materialism).

6. I believe that there is no objective "higher purpose" in life, no absolute basis for ethics or morality and no retribution for sin or reward for virtue. Seeking pleasure and avoiding pain are the only two goals rational men will pursue -- what pleases me is good, what pains me is bad (hedonistic materialism).

7. I believe that all novel qualities of existence can be derived from changing material conditions -- that men's mental and spiritual life, their ideas and aims, reflect their material conditions of existence (dialectical materialism).

8. I believe that though not all things consist of matter or its modifications, whatever exists can be satisfactorily explained in natural terms (modified or naturalistic materialism).

9. I believe that man, the highest and most complex of the evolutionary process prevailing throughout the universe, may continue to evolve into an even more perfect being or higher species (utopian materialism).

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinepsychomime
o_O
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: new age vs. materialism [Re: a_h_w]
    #4633259 - 09/08/05 10:57 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

:rofl: that entire test was worthless to me. it lumps too many beliefs and ideas into one question. for every single one there were parts i did and did not agree with. also the wording seems very biased towards new age, nearly every one had a positive emotion attached to it while the materialist section had none. does being a materialist mean one cannot believe in peace, love and compassion?

Offlinea_h_w
Stranger
Re: new age vs. materialism [Re: psychomime]
    #4633283 - 09/08/05 11:15 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I don't think the test is biased towards new age. the positive emotions attached to the new age questions in my opinion only reflect the belief system itself which many people criticize on relying too much on emotional and abstract ideas. isn't it true that many people see newagers as delusional individuals living an artificial happiness? many times they are referred to on this forum as tree-huggers. i think there's a positive emotion attached to the expression. love, hug, emotion, nature. even if ironically expressed it reveals the nature of the belief system. read the backcover of any new-age cd: bliss, love, emotional flow, nature, etc...

maybe what you're looking for is not materialism nor new age. in fact one of the things i'd like people to understand, because it also happened to me is that most probably we'll find things we agree with on both sides.

now on a personal level, your perspective seemed buddhist to me.

Offlinepsychomime
o_O
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #4633352 - 09/08/05 11:48 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

yeah i agree with you that new agers emphasise positive emotion and it makes sense that the quiz would use that sort of wording but it does bias results because who wouldn't want to be associated with positive emotion? (excluding goths, sociopaths and people trying to be obtuse)

Quote:

now on a personal level, your perspective seemed buddhist to me.

really? ok. I don't self identify as buddhist (or any other religion or creed for that matter) but I don't know an awful lot about buddhism so perhaps my beliefs are convergent with buddhism. I accept the validity of opposing forces as one is merely the extension of the other. yin yang, duality forming a whole and all that. I'm a scientist, realist and sceptic. I know that my religious beliefs are unprovable and so do not try and prove them to others though i do share them when asked and defend them if needs be. I suspect that the soul and God/divinity exists though in a form of my own construction based on my own experience and observation. this is probably getting really jumbled and probably doesn't make much sense, it's 3:46 here now and I think I starting to suffer from sleep deprivation so I'll quit before the keys start moving.

InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
    #4633434 - 09/08/05 12:26 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

That test is simply too hyped with black and white, stereotype-hyped, sophomoric notion.

The term New-Age is too nebulous to be fully quantifiable, IMO.

Which, in effect, seems to make an easy haven to shelter vague and incoherent beliefs that offer security to some.

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #4634013 - 09/08/05 03:50 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

The quiz is a bit polarized. I would add "MAYBE" as an answer, but nevermind, i'm gray :smile: ...

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: new age vs. materialism [Re: MAIA]
    #4634033 - 09/08/05 03:55 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

You're gay? I respect your comming out here on the forums.  :thumbup:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Invisibleredtailedhawk
Explorer of the Mystery
 User Gallery

Loc: The Old Continent
Re: new age vs. materialism [Re: Icelander]
    #4634468 - 09/08/05 05:48 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

:rotfl:  :gayflag:

--------------------

"Who are you who live in all these many forms? You're death that captures all. You too are the source of all that's gonna be born. You're glory, mercy, peace, truth. You give calm a spirit, understanding, courage, the contented heart."

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology