Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Boomr Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineevolmachine
Wandering Star
Casing layer not colonizing
    #4629261 - 09/07/05 09:48 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I have a casing made with h/poo spawned with WBS. I waited until the substrate was fully colonized and then went to put a thin casing layer down at about 1/4" of moist verm. I made sure I sterilized the verm and it was at field capacity when I sterilized it. The verm is not colonizing at all, and its been about 4 days. I've read that it only takes a few, and thats with deeper layers even. Whats goin on? I looked at all my casings around the sides by peeling back the side of the pan to make sure there weren't any hidden contams, and I can't see or smell anything. The temp is about 80* in the incubator and there seems to be a lot of humidity, there is water condensation on the lid. Don't have a guage so I can't be too certain. Should I just leave it alone and wait even longer, or scrape off the verm and just try to fruit it without a casing layer?

And I know that I should have used the 50/50 tek, but peat was impossible to find at 2 Home Depots and a Lowes unless I wanted to buy like a 50lb bag! Thats a little much for my needs. I also couldn't find coir, so I just went with Verm since most ppl complain about it being messy and hard to tell if the moisture is right, not that its bad for colonizing... any thoughts?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedjsage420
aka DJQBNSIS
 User Gallery

Loc: Panhandle
Re: Casing layer not colonizing [Re: evolmachine]
    #4629274 - 09/07/05 09:53 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I have had similar problems before it was air exchange, try drilling some holes in the lid and put polyfill or micropore tape over holes, wal mart sells small bags of shultz brand peat for 3.50, If you have condensation thats good it means its not too dry, but I would start with air exchange first, I dont know why but it seems to be crucial to casing colonization.

--------------------
If you put your head to the grass, you can hear it growing

Offlineevolmachine
Wandering Star
    #4629335 - 09/07/05 10:18 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

DO OVER! Fukitol, I'm starting over. Again. I have like 9 jars of fully colonized WBS just sitting here waiting for their turn and a 5lb bag of horse poo waiting to be pasteurized and used for myc food. I'm tryin again. I dumped all the verm off the casings, none of it was even remotely colonized. I'm going to try to fruit them, but it looks to me like the myc is overlayed? Not really sure. Looks like matted mycelium, prolly from the wet verm sitting on top of it for 4 days... go figure. Think a scratch would do a thing for me, or should I just chuck em?

This part really annoys me. It's been doing so well this far, and right when I get to maybe fruit, the mycelium just kinda dies. This is the second time this has happened, the first time was with jars and I got nothing out of them except an infection after like 2 weeks of sitting. I'll try again on the casing layer ingredients, i know this stuff has to be around somewhere...

Offlinedjsage420
aka DJQBNSIS
 User Gallery

Loc: Panhandle
    #4629342 - 09/07/05 10:21 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

LoL this happend to me for a while you will get the hang of it, if you fruit off of straight poo you will get less but bigger fruits, Roadkill loves to fruit this way he has mastered it and he gets huge shrooms.

--------------------
If you put your head to the grass, you can hear it growing

InvisibleOldSpice
Geritol Breath...
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crankytown, Texas
    #4629351 - 09/07/05 10:25 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Slow down it seems like you are a bit impatient and it sounds like you did things right
Verm alone is a crappy casing layer
You can use potting soil mixed with verm if you cannot find optimal casing materials

--------------------
So hard to be ....WDWGFH?
Texas is humongus compared to France
Our Gair, who art in Texas,
Paw Paw be thy Name....
My friends are thirsty

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrist office:biker:

Offlineevolmachine
Wandering Star
Re: Casing layer not colonizing [Re: OldSpice]
    #4629989 - 09/07/05 01:27 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I know it seems like I'm impatient. However, to be honest its going a LOT faster than I expected... its just that I've seen this happen to me before, and I was patient as all hell until the cakes finally succumbed to infection. There were sitting in the fc for at 2 weeks, and they looked just like this. Never pinned, balled up or did anything until it got the green.

I dunno how to describe it, it just doesn't look like healthy myc. It looks dead or dying. Its not all fluffy or even rhizo, its just a brick of flat white... having seen it all the way up to this point twice now, it doesn't look right to me. It doesn't look like any pics I've seen on here with successful grows either. Wish I had a digital cam...

I've touched it now a few times, its not even bruising. Thats kinda weird too. I mean I'll leave it in the FC for now with no casing layer and see what happens, but I have a feeling its just gonna sit there and get the green too. I know my water levels were good, I did the squeeze test and all and it was just like the teks said... On the plus side, I'm exceptionally good at growing myc on WBS in jars and doing grain to grain transfers. Haven't fucked that up once, except if you count 3 jars exploding in the pc'er =]

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Boomr Bag