Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Prince of Bugs

Folding@home Statistics
Jabbar Gibson, American Hero
    #4629817 - 09/07/05 02:32 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Here's the story of a hero:

"Thousands of refugees of Hurricane Katrina were transported to the Astrodome in Houston this week. In an extreme act of looting, one group actually stole a bus to escape ravaged areas in Louisiana.

About 100 people packed into the stolen bus. They were the first to enter the Houston Astrodome, but they weren't exactly welcomed.

The big yellow school bus wasn't expected or approved to pass through the stadium's gates. Randy Nathan, who was on the bus, said they were desperate to get out of town.

"If it werent for him right there," he said, "we'd still be in New Orleans underwater. He got the bus for us."

Eighteen-year-old Jabbor Gibson jumped aboard the bus as it sat abandoned on a street in New Orleans and took control.

"I just took the bus and drove all the way here...seven hours straight,' Gibson admitted. "I hadn't ever drove a bus."

The teen packed it full of complete strangers and drove to Houston. He beat thousands of evacuees slated to arrive there."

He saved about a hundred people who would otherwise still be in New Orleans, waiting for help. However:

"Authorities eventually allowed the renegade passengers inside the dome. But the 18-year-old who ensured their safety could find himself in a world of trouble for stealing the school bus.

"I don't care if I get blamed for it ," Gibson said, "as long as I saved my people.""

I am not normally in favor of theft. But I make an exception for people who take abandoned buses that are about to be flooded in any case, fill them with strangers who have no other way to escape an impending cataclysm, and drive to safety, especially if, as seems likely, they do not intend to keep the bus once they have done so. Jabbor Gibson should be celebrated, not prosecuted.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Prince of Bugs

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Jabbar Gibson, American Hero [Re: Redstorm]
    #4629824 - 09/07/05 02:34 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

If only this were done on a larger scale, there would be a lot more people alive. This story is one of the most inspiring of any I have heard to far during hurricane coverage. A kid younger than me commandeers a bus (a vehicle which he had never driven before) and takes 100 people to safety. This kid deserves a medal.

Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
    #4629839 - 09/07/05 02:38 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Good story...

wish he had been the Mayor.

America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #4630291 - 09/07/05 04:36 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

This is exactly what more people should have done. We're just so used to sitting back and letting government solve all our problems.

Our Beurocracy is a slow lumbering beast. Individuals have the ability to just say "OMGWTF!!", then jump the fuck up and take fucking action.

There should have been hundreds/thousands of buses, one: volunteered by the owners, and two: commandeered by the public at large.

Also, trucks full of motorcycles; dirt bikes preferably, something that can go very far on small amounts of gasoline and can handle or be carried  over rough terrain.

I'm sure boats would have been useful too.

The government should issue liscenses to steal. :yesnod:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Scales

General Interest >> Political Discussion