Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
What If They Were White?
    #4629180 - 09/07/05 09:16 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

What If They Were White?

NEW YORK, Sept. 4, 2005

Angela Perkins drops to her knees begging for help among thousands of people gathered at the New Orleans Convention Center waiting for help in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina Sept. 1, 2005. (Photo: AP/The Houston Chronicle)

(CBS) The fact that many of those suffering most in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina are poor, and black, has outraged a lot of people. Justifiably so, in the opinion of CBS News Sunday Morning Contributor Nancy Giles. Here is her commentary from Sept. 4, 2005:

After meeting with Louisiana officials last week, Rev. Jesse Jackson said: "Many black people feel that their race, their property conditions and their voting patterns have been a factor in the response." He continued: "I'm not saying that myself."

Then I'll say it.

If the majority of the hardest hit victims of Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans were white people, they would not have gone for days without food and water, forcing many to steal for mere survival.

Their bodies would not have been left to float in putrid water.

They would have been rescued and relocated a hell of a lot faster than this. Period.

I mean, reporters and crews are getting to stranded people, and government and military agencies can't? Why doesn't CNN run FEMA?

When I saw pictures of black people taking things from stores, my first thought was: "How are those Air Jordans necessary for your survival?"

Then it hit me: People needed shoes and clothing. Some escaped the floods with just the clothing on their backs

We have American citizens, not "refugees" from an underdeveloped country, still waiting for shelter.

Waiting.

Waiting.

You leave children, pregnant women, the elderly, even the able-bodied, in a city destroyed with no help, no food, no water, no electricity for three, four, five days? What would you do if your family was starving, and you saw people dying in the street?

And why didn't the stores in the disaster areas simply make their goods available to these desperate folks? Surely, they've got insurance.

Love thy neighbor. Didn't I read that somewhere?

The real war is not in Iraq, but right here in America. It's the War on Poverty, and it's a war that's been ignored and lost. An estimated 37 million Americans are living in poverty. New Orleans is one of the poorest cities in the country, with 40 percent of its children living in poverty. Mississippi has the highest poverty rate of any state. We've repeatedly given tax cuts to the wealthiest, and left our most vulnerable American citizens to basically fend for themselves.

The whole world is watching. And once again, a day late and a dollar short, words of wisdom from our president: "This is a huge task that we're dealing with." "These are tough times." "Give cash."

Once again, he finds the photo op: Some black folks to hug, some white men in Mississippi to bond with. He flies over the messy parts of New Orleans, waves and leaves.

The president has put himself at risk by visiting the troops in Iraq, but didn't venture anywhere near the Superdome or the Convention Center, where thousands of victims, mostly black and poor, needed to see that he gave a damn.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/09/04/sunday/main814720.shtml?CMP=ILC-SearchStories

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinelonestar2004
 User Gallery

Re: What If They Were White? [Re: lonestar2004]
    #4629182 - 09/07/05 09:17 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Rev. Jesse Jackson said:

"Many black people feel that their race, their property conditions and their voting patterns have been a factor in the response." He continued: "I'm not saying that myself."

--------------------

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Offlinedaimyo
Monticello

#4629192 - 09/07/05 09:21 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Black, white, purple...it's not a federal problem. Let the scum rape, pillage, and plunder themselves into nonexistence. If they try to take their antics outside of the devestated area have the national guard kill every last one of them.

--------------------
"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

OfflineZooDoggy
Strangerer
Loc: Around corner & a ham sandwich
    #4629204 - 09/07/05 09:26 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Then there would be a bunch of dead white ppl and there would be no talk of Race. Jesse Jackson wouldnt be on tv and the dialogue about what went wrong would be at the forfront instead of this stupid talk about race.

OfflineProsgeopax
Jaded, yethopeful?

Loc: Appearing at a mall near ...
    #4629269 - 09/07/05 09:52 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Anybody who thinks race is a factor in government response to this has their head firmly implanted so far up their ass that they wouldn't see daylight if the sun went supernova. There is a simple lesson in Katrina and 9/11, government cannot be counted on to protect you, but it can be counted on to tax, coerce and create enemies. Government management embodies the very worst aspects of the Peter Principle and people are given jobs based upon their political skills, not their management skills.

--------------------
Money doesn't grow on trees, but deficits do grow under Bushes.

You can accept, reject, or examine and test any new idea that comes to you. The wise man chooses the third way.
- Tom Willhite

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to change my opinions should I become aware of additional facts, the falsification of information or different perspectives. Articles written by others which I post may not necessarily reflect my opinions in part or in whole, my opinions may be in direct opposition, the topic may be one on which I have yet to formulate an opinion or have doubts about, an article may be posted solely with the intent to stimulate discussion or contemplation.

OfflineZooDoggy
Strangerer
Loc: Around corner & a ham sandwich
Re: What If They Were White? [Re: Prosgeopax]
    #4629299 - 09/07/05 10:04 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

:thumbup:

The head of FEMA was fired from his last job.  Had no emergency experience at all, but was hired because he was a buddy of bush (political pro).

Offlinedaimyo
Monticello

#4629327 - 09/07/05 10:15 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

"Anybody who thinks race is a factor in government response to this has their head firmly implanted so far up their ass that they wouldn't see daylight if the sun went supernova."

That's one of the best statements I've ever read in here.

--------------------
"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

InvisibleAlex213
Stranger
    #4629358 - 09/07/05 10:29 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

government cannot be counted on to protect you

If you'd said "THIS government cannot be counted on to protect you" I think I'd agree.

My guess is no other government than Bush would have pissed away billions on Iraq and hence, would have had lots of money to pay for the flood protection New Orleans has been requesting for many years.

Offlinedaimyo
Monticello

Re: What If They Were White? [Re: Alex213]
    #4629371 - 09/07/05 10:33 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

It's not like we have the money to pay for the Iraq thing. What's stopping Bush from signing away whatever amount to help the hurricane people? FUCK THE CREDITORS! We'll shoot them bitches if they ever come to collect.

--------------------

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#4629394 - 09/07/05 10:44 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I do not believe race had anything to do with the shoddy relief effort. I do think that class did, however. If Katrina hit Kennebunkport, I do think things would have moved quicker - not because the government is necessarily against poor people but because the wealthy have more connections in high places than the poor.

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

#4629397 - 09/07/05 10:45 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Well I'm sorry: when I see the reactions in this forum for the past few days it is clear that it's an immense, huge overwhelmingly important factor that these poor people are black, regarding the manner in which a lot of the discussion here takes place.

Race, race, race, race.
Oh yeah, and race too :thumbdown:

Racial tendencies to loot.
Blacks are 25% thrash.
Welfare abuse.
Affirmative action.
Political correctness.
Black culture is inferior.
Racial lack of intelligence.
Blacks keep acting like we owe them something.
Violent rap culture.
Black history month :rolleyes:

Umm.. what to say?

Ever since the catastrophe the racial vomiting in this forum has picked up and the only thing missing is the statement that the black people of New Orleans created the hurricane just so they can loot.

People can bitch and people will bitch. But if you look at all these threads the past days it is very clear that the race of the victims is overwhelmingly important and that many posters try their best to get these victims in their designated role of perpetrators, like the media are doing.

Is the race of the victims important?
You bet.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
    #4629405 - 09/07/05 10:48 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Not everyone told to go to the convention center to get a ride out of dodge was a thieving murderous rapist.

They showed this woman who found a rake, and in tears she was raking garbage the storm and people left all over the lawn in front of the convention center.

She was saying, (In a talking to herself repetitive way as she raked through tears), "maybe if we clean up, they will come, maybe if we clean up, they will come".

That's sad she felt that way.

The point is, I think many who went there to get out of the flooded area and hoped for a ride because there cars were flooded too were JUST as disgusted with some of the activity by people at the center as those watching it on the television were.

A lot of the people being interviewed at shelters are talking about the jobs they lost and have already secured new ones in Texas or elsewhere. Not all of them were welfare criminals. Many were working tax payers before, and are working at it to be once again ASAP.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: What If They Were White? [Re: Vvellum]
    #4629415 - 09/07/05 10:52 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Rich people don't need the government to do anything for them. Nor do middle class people, nor do most of the working poor, even many of them have cars. Simple correlation; the poorer you are, for whatever reason, the more you are dependant on government assistance. The richer you are the more independant of the government you are. I will be utterly fucked if I'm willing to hand out money to somebody just because they're black. I'm not real high on handing out money just because they're poor. Most of them are poor because of idiotic choices they have made. Very few are poor because of outside forces.

--------------------

Offlinelonestar2004
 User Gallery

Re: What If They Were White? [Re: Asante]
    #4629424 - 09/07/05 10:57 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

???????????????????
I posted the article and then this quote:

"Many black people feel that their race, their property conditions and their voting patterns have been a factor in the response."

So if they voted Republican, they'd be high and dry? Might be a catchy slogan to use in 2008 'Keep voting Democrat and suffer like New Orleans. Vote Republican and thrive.'

--------------------

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

Re: What If They Were White? [Re: zappaisgod]
    #4629440 - 09/07/05 11:01 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

So, the government never helps out the wealthy and their businesses? what about corporate welfare, subsidies, and other sweet-heart deals? These are quite routine in Washington and cities across the nation, in case you havent noticed.

I believe, in the emergency situation of a massive hurricane and massive flooding, even the wealthy would demand of their friends in government to send in relief corps immediately. Not many people - even the wealthy - own rescue helicopters, EMT squads, firefighter squads, police units, and any other need for such an emergency (particularly after being wipped out by a hurricane + flooding).

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

#4629445 - 09/07/05 11:02 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

So if they voted Republican, they'd be high and dry? Might be a catchy slogan to use in 2008 'Keep voting Democrat and suffer like New Orleans. Vote Republican and thrive.'

If you're responding to me, I don't know what you're talking about :grin:

I think a sizable number of the hurricane victims voted Republican. Moreover I think a large portion of them voted for the president who left them hanging when they really needed help.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org

OfflineMagicalMystery
turn off yourmind

Loc: Here, there and everywher...
    #4629453 - 09/07/05 11:04 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

yea, poor black people always vote republican.

I think that ballots in black cities / areas look like this

CHECK HERE IF YOU WANT FREE MONEY FROM DA MAN DAT MADE YOU BEEZ A SLAVE

CHECK HERE TO VOTE FOR THE WHITE GUY THAT HATES YOU

Paid for by the democratic national committe, promising you more and more money for less and less responsibility.

--------------------

"Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by the love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest."
From the Declaration of the Continental Congress

"We can have peace and security only as long as we band together to preserve that most priceless possession, our inheritance of European blood."
Charles A. Lindbergh,"Aviation, Geography, and Race", Reader's Digest, Nov. 1939

"We must secure the existance of our people and a future for White children."
David Lane

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: What If They Were White? [Re: Vvellum]
    #4629466 - 09/07/05 11:07 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

I believe, in the emergency situation of a massive hurricane and massive flooding, even the wealthy would demand of their friends in government to send in relief corps immediately. Not many people - even the wealthy - own rescue helicopters, EMT squads, firefighter squads, police units, and any other need for such an emergency (particularly after being wipped out by a hurricane + flooding).

The richer you are, the more likely you are willing to leave your home behind and the more likely it is that you own a car to begin with.

Therefore it was to be expected that the ones who stayed would mostly be the poorest people in town.

But there should've been a wave of free buses out of N_O before the hurricane reached it. And I feel there should've been a forced evac like in Cuba.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: What If They Were White? [Re: MagicalMystery]
    #4629475 - 09/07/05 11:09 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

I think that ballots in black cities / areas look like this

You can't seriously believe that  :wink:

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org

Offlinelonestar2004
 User Gallery

#4629488 - 09/07/05 11:11 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Wiccan_Seeker said:
Quote:

If you're responding to me, I don't know what you're talking about :grin:

I think a sizable number of the hurricane victims voted Republican. Moreover I think a large portion of them voted for the president who left them hanging when they really needed help.

talking about the article. did you  read it?

the crazy bitch said:

"If the majority of the hardest hit victims of Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans were white people, they would not have gone for days without food and water, forcing many to steal for mere survival. "

does she have some records to show that the majority of the victims are black?

--------------------

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale