Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: San Pedro

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Crime FightingMaster Criminal

Loc: The Netherlands
Levels of Communication and the Breakdown of thereof
    #4628848 - 09/07/05 07:13 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

One time, I was walking around Chicago, tripping on mescaline with my (now ex) girlfriend. We were trying to find the Shedd Aquarium, a main attraction in the city.

We walked by a Panera bread, and I told my gf to stand outside while I would ask for directions to get there. Now, since my mind was thinking on a whole different plane than the girl working at the restaurant, I planned out a conversation so I wouldnt seem weird. I thought I'd just come up there and ask where it is, and she would tell me right away.

"Hey, how do I get to the Shedd Aquarium?"
"You know, Shedd, whats the best way to get there?"

I was just going straight for the answer, which at the time seemed perfectly natural. The girl seemed a little confused by my straightforwardness, and I thought at this time, it would be good to give her a 'friendly smile'. So all of a sudden I just started smiling.

"Why are you smiling?"

I couldnt even retort to that. All of a sudden this feeling crept up on me that everyone in the restaurant stopped eating and started staring at me, like a bunch of vultures. So without saying anything, I turned around and ran out.

Now, if the girl was tripping on mescaline as well, she probably would have understood me loud and clear. Is miscommunication simply based on the fact that you cant make a connection because everybody's in their anonymous little world? Either too tired to add to a conversation, or wired when everybody's falling asleep, stoned when you have a million things to finish, too intoversive to project your points clearly. IMO, if everyone was on the same plane of thought for a day, it would be the equivalent of decades of work of human miscommunication.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: San Pedro

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology