Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineDeviate
creating your own reality
    #4626220 - 09/06/05 06:09 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

i am amazed by my own power to create my reality. i used to think of reality as something fairly stable, or at least stable in the sense that it was something i could not change. then i realized how much of reality i was creating with my mind and i started to question the difference between reality and my reality. i have a hard time expressing this in words but i think that when we communicate with other people we generally assume they are inhabiting a reality or state of consciousness similar to ours. i now realize this may not always be so. for example in another thread today i read "MJF said:
when i was young...probably 7 or 8 i remember thinking that everyone was a robot playing a trick on me."

the funny thing about this is believe this to be true and suddenly it is true in your reality. you can start molding your reality into something very weird but as long as you keep the same relationships between things it wont affect your ability to get by in the world. i almost want to say perception is reality but to me that sounds logically inconsistent. doesn't there have to be some underlying reality that gave rise to your perception? timothy leary said you create your own reality but doesnt there need to be something that you create it out of?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension
Re: creating your own reality [Re: Deviate]
    #4626256 - 09/06/05 06:16 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

:wink:

Thought creates reality

OfflineDeviate
Re: creating your own reality [Re: Shroomism]
    #4626268 - 09/06/05 06:19 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

what creates thought?

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
Re: creating your own reality [Re: Shroomism]
    #4626272 - 09/06/05 06:20 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

With a little room for chance....yes.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
Re: creating your own reality [Re: Deviate]
    #4626385 - 09/06/05 06:52 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

doesn't there have to be some underlying reality that gave rise to your perception? timothy leary said you create your own reality but doesnt there need to be something that you create it out of?

Right, we all subjectify our realities and perceptions which are rooted in the objective reality.

The phrase "Creating your own reality" tends to sound like a bunnies and meadows way of saying "Taking responsibility for your life"... I know all too well of how people manifest their reality by their own collective attitude which governs the psychogenic atmosphere under which certain thoughts and behaviors will thrive - depending on their emotional and intellectual climate.

People who have severe low-self esteem and maladaptive thoughts will likely have negative perceptions of reality that only further their dysfunctional issues, and so the cycle continues...
People who practice a healthy and positive attitude will be more likely to have a positive perception of reality, perform better in various activities, and so on...

However, like Hue mentioned about chance, the extent to which we volitionally "create our own realities" is limited, as we are naturally limited beings. Were the millions of people that died in 9/11 there because they wanted to create such a reality for themselves? Was the child that got ran over by a drunk driver while riding on her bike creating her own reality? Our realities are governed by all sorts of forces, and our own volition is but one of them.

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology