Home | Community | Message Board


Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
Registered: 04/15/05
Posts: 11,088
Pleasure
    #4625551 - 09/06/05 02:31 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

The local hot springs is one of my spiritual power places.  Despite the rotten-egg smell of the sulphur, my senses rejoice in my experiences there.

During the winter, I visit after dark, during the clothing-optional/adults only session.  The cedar sauna radiates heat and spicy wood-scented steam.  After I am as hot as I can bear, I run outside to swim in the mineral-fed pool under the bright moon and stars.

One night, floating on my back and stargazing, I caught myself feeling perfectly content.  I had no desire to be anywhere or anyone else at the moment.  My body was utterly relaxed, having alternated steam and cool swims for over an hour.  Though naked in front of strangers, I felt no inhibitions or self-judgment. My mind was peaceful, taking in the beauty of the clear January night, and had ceased running the inner monologue.

I relate this to my current ideas about spirituality.  When I let myself fully experience my body, relax into my life, and float with trust and contentment, I know who I am and why I am here.  Joyfulness is my nature.

:heart:


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

Registered: 02/01/05
Posts: 4,033
Loc: mountains and lakes
Last seen: 10 years, 7 months
Re: Pleasure [Re: Veritas]
    #4625575 - 09/06/05 02:40 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Veritas said:
The local hot springs is one of my spiritual power places.  Despite the rotten-egg smell of the sulphur, my senses rejoice in my experiences there.

During the winter, I visit after dark, during the clothing-optional/adults only session.  The cedar sauna radiates heat and spicy wood-scented steam.  After I am as hot as I can bear, I run outside to swim in the mineral-fed pool under the bright moon and stars.

One night, floating on my back and stargazing, I caught myself feeling perfectly content.  I had no desire to be anywhere or anyone else at the moment.  My body was utterly relaxed, having alternated steam and cool swims for over an hour.  Though naked in front of strangers, I felt no inhibitions or self-judgment. My mind was peaceful, taking in the beauty of the clear January night, and had ceased running the inner monologue.

I relate this to my current ideas about spirituality.  When I let myself fully experience my body, relax into my life, and float with trust and contentment, I know who I am and why I am here.  Joyfulness is my nature.

:heart:




good post  :thumbup:

I thought this thread is going to start with something like: "why is pleasure good?" :lol:


--------------------
I descend upon your earth from the skies
I command your very souls you unbelievers
Bring before me what is mine


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
Registered: 04/15/05
Posts: 11,088
Re: Pleasure [Re: OldWoodSpecter]
    #4625716 - 09/06/05 03:20 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Well, DUH! :grin:


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Registered: 03/15/05
Posts: 93,974
Loc: underbelly
Re: Pleasure [Re: Veritas]
    #4627017 - 09/06/05 09:24 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Veritas, poor dear. When will you understand that controversy cannot be generated by these kind of threads. They will quickly fade leaving you frustrated by the idiotic arguing that generates massive replies, in our senseless threads, going on between us lower forms of life.  :heart:


--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Registered: 07/18/03
Posts: 7,991
Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
Re: Pleasure [Re: Icelander]
    #4627143 - 09/06/05 10:08 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

It's funny that truely philosophical threads can pass by unnoticed, but base controversial threads made half in jest will generate 10 or 15 pages of response.

All attention is good attention- threads seem to use absolute values, as all attention is more posts.


--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinepsychomime
o_O
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Registered: 05/16/05
Posts: 520
Last seen: 5 years, 6 months
Re: Pleasure [Re: Icelander]
    #4627155 - 09/06/05 10:10 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

now wait just a minute Ice! I disagree that this thread won't generate massive replies! hee hee.

lovely post veritas. i feel almost there.


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

Registered: 02/01/05
Posts: 4,033
Loc: mountains and lakes
Last seen: 10 years, 7 months
Re: Pleasure [Re: Icelander]
    #4627195 - 09/06/05 10:16 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:
Veritas, poor dear.




:lol: this is so true. Dear, but poor truth. yea, truth is poor, nobody seems to pay attention to it.

I can imagine this truth waving hands and jumping up and down saying: "helooooo!! WTF is wrong with you people? Does anybody seem me? "


--------------------
I descend upon your earth from the skies
I command your very souls you unbelievers
Bring before me what is mine


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMJF
Human Being
 User Gallery

Registered: 06/27/05
Posts: 1,810
Loc: Between 15 and 45 degrees...
Last seen: 8 years, 3 days
Re: Pleasure [Re: OldWoodSpecter]
    #4627488 - 09/06/05 11:02 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Well all she did was give us her account of pleasure (which was good).

Where should we go with this?
Veritas...how do you let yourself "fully experience my[your] body, relax into my[your] life, and float with trust and contentment"?

Is that a decision you make...or is it dependant upon your mood and or atmosphere? Do we really have much control over our pleasure?

edit: i'm guessing we would all like more pleasure. but for me it's almost like somethign i stumble on by accident and find it...not something I just let myself obtain.


Edited by MJF (09/06/05 11:04 PM)


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

Registered: 02/01/05
Posts: 4,033
Loc: mountains and lakes
Last seen: 10 years, 7 months
Re: Pleasure [Re: MJF]
    #4628911 - 09/07/05 08:38 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

MJF said:
Well all she did was give us her account of pleasure (which was good).

Where should we go with this?
Veritas...how do you let yourself "fully experience my[your] body, relax into my[your] life, and float with trust and contentment"?

Is that a decision you make...or is it dependant upon your mood and or atmosphere? Do we really have much control over our pleasure?

edit: i'm guessing we would all like more pleasure. but for me it's almost like somethign i stumble on by accident and find it...not something I just let myself obtain.





I'm not talking about her, I'm talking about truth


--------------------
I descend upon your earth from the skies
I command your very souls you unbelievers
Bring before me what is mine


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Registered: 03/15/05
Posts: 93,974
Loc: underbelly
Re: Pleasure [Re: Ravus]
    #4628976 - 09/07/05 09:36 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Ravus said:
It's funny that truely philosophical threads can pass by unnoticed, but base controversial threads made half in jest will generate 10 or 15 pages of response.

All attention is good attention- threads seem to use absolute values, as all attention is more posts.




I was kidding a little bit here. I don't believe all of our threads and debate are senseless. But Ravus, you're right. Many deeply philosophical threads do get little attention. Too real and to the point it may be. We like to dance around truth rather than with it, at times. Often the real truth is convicting and asks us to look deeply at how we are living and experiencing our lives and relating to our world and the people in it. Veritas often speaks a simple truth and lives a life of direct joyfullness. When she expresses this it may make us feel uncomfortable or slightly embarrased. Who knows?


--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
Registered: 04/15/05
Posts: 11,088
Re: Pleasure [Re: MJF]
    #4629264 - 09/07/05 11:49 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

MJF said:
Where should we go with this?
Veritas...how do you let yourself "fully experience my[your] body, relax into my[your] life, and float with trust and contentment"?

Is that a decision you make...or is it dependant upon your mood and or atmosphere? Do we really have much control over our pleasure?




No, we do not have control over our pleasure; that was exactly my point.  When I relentlessly pursue something better than what I have in the moment, simultaneously rejecting my current experience, there is no pleasure to be found.

It is when I "get out of my own way" through releasing my endless list of wants that pleasure is experienced.  It was never "out there" to be captured, but within myself.  In running away from my moments, I was running from this intrinsic pleasure of exisiting.

I find that my body often provides a distraction from the moment.  My various aches and pains become the advisor: "get away from this sensation, this experience."  This is why going to the spa is so helpful to me.  It allows my body to become quiet and content, then I have only my mind to contend with.

Large doses of beauty quiet my mind.  In the case of the spa, the sparkling night was the "heroic dose" I needed to silence the nattering inner monologue.

I offer this account of one source of spiritual pleasure not to generate controversy, or even to pile up responses (and feed my juvenile ego :grin:), but to share what I found.

I would love to hear your stories of spiritual places/power places where you feel at home in your skin, and can sink deeply into your momentary experience of existence. :heart:


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinepsychomime
o_O
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Registered: 05/16/05
Posts: 520
Last seen: 5 years, 6 months
Re: Pleasure [Re: Veritas]
    #4631570 - 09/07/05 09:26 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

I would love to hear your stories of spiritual places/power places where you feel at home in your skin, and can sink deeply into your momentary experience of existence.




I often feel that moment lying in bed just before sleep takes me.


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Stopping the inner monologue. dorkus 1,080 19 09/27/05 05:15 PM
by Icelander
* Inner Monologue
( 1 2 all )
Grav 2,344 29 08/12/03 07:30 AM
by Grav
* Being Pleasure Centered
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 all )
Epigallo 6,806 108 08/25/08 04:11 PM
by deranger
* Alcohol: pain vs. pleasure
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
OrgoneConclusion 4,015 87 11/25/08 06:30 PM
by Trepiodos
* Pleasure is the only thing that is good in itself
( 1 2 all )
spud 2,939 26 04/29/07 12:28 PM
by Icelander
* The Pursuit of Pleasure and Partying dblaney 2,108 18 07/14/07 01:15 PM
by Rhizoid
* Immediate gratification vs. instant pleasure
( 1 2 all )
deCypher 2,412 21 12/07/08 01:29 PM
by Bernackums
* Relaxing... fireworks_godS 540 2 11/03/03 04:14 PM
by fireworks_god

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, CosmicJoke, Jokeshopbeard, DividedQuantum
635 topic views. 2 members, 5 guests and 9 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Toggle Favorite | Print Topic | Stats ]
Search this thread:
Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

Copyright 1997-2017 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.034 seconds spending 0.005 seconds on 18 queries.