Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineShroomInduced
I read too manymycology books
Male

Loc: A giant mushroom in my he...
Watering Idea, PLEASE READ Im not retarted
    #4624593 - 09/06/05 03:45 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

So I was thinking a while back about the important role water plays in the cultivation of the magic mushrooms( or any fungi). And I came up with a good idea, its simple, but it works. When you harvest your mushies, weigh them right away, take the total weight and find 92& (100%-8%(dry matter)=92% water )of it, this will be your total water used by the mushrooms, add that weight in water back to your chamber by misting. (if you cant figure out how much water to use, try typing in in google, grams to ml) YOu may want to add a little more than that for evaporation. Post what you think

--------------------
That's a deep kiss too, like the Europeans. You know, the French, they have to unhinge their jaw to show love.

Computer Fan Tek
Vote for you favorite strain of cubes 97 choices!

Edited by ShroomInduced (09/07/05 12:50 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Good Idea/ Tip [Re: ShroomInduced]
    #4624599 - 09/06/05 03:49 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Might be useful for invitro grows where it is a closed chamber with little or no loss to evaportaion.
Interestin idea, never saw it mentioned before.

Edited by blackout (09/06/05 03:49 AM)

OfflineShroomInduced
I read too manymycology books
Male

Loc: A giant mushroom in my he...
Re: Good Idea/ Tip [Re: blackout]
    #4629873 - 09/07/05 12:49 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Well you could account for the evaporation by just adding a little more, if your growing in like a rubbermaid or somthing like that.

--------------------
That's a deep kiss too, like the Europeans. You know, the French, they have to unhinge their jaw to show love.

Computer Fan Tek
Vote for you favorite strain of cubes 97 choices!

InvisibleShaw

Re: Watering Idea, PLEASE READ Im not retarted [Re: ShroomInduced]
    #4630139 - 09/07/05 02:11 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I really don't you have to be that exact, because you don't know that what you started with is exactly perfectly ideal. If you have any air exchange at all this will through your number off. Honestly i don't think this method would be of any use. you can try it and see if it works for you.

--------------------

OfflineHippieChick
Chicks can do it too!
Female User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Good Idea/ Tip [Re: ShroomInduced]
    #4630163 - 09/07/05 02:17 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I don't think it will work.

One, that was how much water that particular flush used. If your next flush isn't the same, you will either have too much or too little water. That's if you idea works at all, which I don't think it does. The mushrooms absorb that water over a period of time. My houseplant might use 5 gallons of water a year, but if I pour 5 gallons on it at one time and just let it use it as needed, I don't think it would do it any good. Probably get root rot or something. Hell, you'll probably eat a few tons of food in your life but you're not going to eat it all at once.

Peace,Love,Happiness and Harmony.
:heart: Hippie Chick  :mushroom2:

--------------------
Peace,Love and Happiness
:heart: HC :mushroom2:

Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose..............

I LUV My Greenhouse
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5545848#5545848

My First Pans
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6212058#6212058

OfflineHippieChick
Chicks can do it too!
Female User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4630187 - 09/07/05 02:20 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

It's RETARDED.

--------------------
Peace,Love and Happiness

I LUV My Greenhouse

My First Pans

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild Blue Yawnder
Re: Watering Idea, PLEASE READ Im not retarted [Re: HippieChick]
    #4630655 - 09/07/05 04:10 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Not quite. In fact, data doesn't lie. When using a bulk application, the same applies as well. Once you get the proper weight of the cased substrate at peak moisture holding capability that performs to it's optimal performance, you then have a good idea of the weight for optimal future flushes. Do you get me?

Edited by hotnutz (09/07/05 04:11 PM)

OfflineHippieChick
Chicks can do it too!
Female User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Watering Idea, PLEASE READ Im not retarted [Re: Hotnuts]
    #4632182 - 09/07/05 10:09 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I don't care what you say, it's still RETARDED, not RETARTED.

How can you know what a flush is going to be before it happens. How do you know how much water it's going to need. I use the same size casing everytime and have never gotten two first flushes that were the same. I hear everyone on here tell the newbs there is too many variables to tell them what 12 PF cakes will produce but now we can tell exactly what a bulk is going to produce so we know how much water to give it. Doesn't add up.

--------------------
Peace,Love and Happiness

I LUV My Greenhouse

My First Pans

InvisibleOldSpice
Geritol Breath...
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crankytown, Texas
    #4632203 - 09/07/05 10:13 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

:yesnod:
Your such a turn on when you are mad :tongue:

--------------------
So hard to be ....WDWGFH?
Texas is humongus compared to France
Our Gair, who art in Texas,
Paw Paw be thy Name....
My friends are thirsty

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrist office:biker:

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Watering Idea, PLEASE READ Im not retarted [Re: OldSpice]
    #4632280 - 09/07/05 10:35 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

The water from a flush is drawn in mostly from the substrate, the network, not the casing layer. Then theres some taken in from the casing layer and the air. You cant just add in how much water your gonna lose by misting, that only absorbs into the casing layer, then youll get puddles forming. Not to mention you have no idea what the tray will produce before it produces it.

For watering, mist enough to always keep the casing layer at near saturation, but NOT saturation. Thats the most water you want, so dont try to add more.

After the flush is over, you could weigh the casing to see how much weight it lost (weigh when you fruit it, and after harvesting)..then add that much weight in water back to the tray..then dump off excess after some time (it wont absorb everything it lost, ever)..then patch. But theres no need to bother weighing, just dump some water in to dunk it, then dump off excess after 24 hours.

Cant really get any more water then that (well maybe injecting the casings with water, but thats still only gonna get you a little more then dunking..even if you inject water, the colonized substrate wont absorb it that well).

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Invisiblethemills
Posts do notindicateIntelligence

#4632309 - 09/07/05 10:44 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

ShroomInduced said:
So I was thinking a while back about the important role water plays in the cultivation of the magic mushrooms( or any fungi). And I came up with a good idea, its simple, but it works. When you harvest your mushies, weigh them right away, take the total weight and find 92& (100%-8%(dry matter)=92% water )of it, this will be your total water used by the mushrooms, add that weight in water back to your chamber by misting. (if you cant figure out how much water to use, try typing in in google, grams to ml) YOu may want to add a little more than that for evaporation. Post what you think

I have done that exact thing many times and havent had any problems yet. I was always afraid I was going to add too much water but I never did. I just never posted the "theory" cause I knew people would say it was retarded.
I would do it if i was you, until it gives you a problem. This method will virtually never get your substrate over wet seeing as how a gallon of water is almost 9 pounds.  I didnt mist though, I just dumped it in the 96 qt tub and the substrate soaks it up. Works for me, may not work for you. :stoned:

--------------------
There are 2 possible outcomes: If the result confirms the hypothesis, then you've made a measurement. If the result is contrary to the hypothesis, then you've made a discovery.
-Enrico Fermi
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Sibling Gatling Gun of Looking at All Sides of the Question

OfflinekronnyQ
SuperstudExtraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Anytown USA
    #4632671 - 09/08/05 12:07 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

"I'm not retarted"

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offlinethelurker
Stranger
Re: Watering Idea, PLEASE READ Im not retarted [Re: OldSpice]
    #4632705 - 09/08/05 12:16 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Alounacara said:
:yesnod:
Your such a turn on when you are mad :tongue:

No shit, I need a girl like that, keep my ass in mycological shape!

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

#4634781 - 09/08/05 05:07 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

HippieChick said:
I don't care what you say, it's still RETARDED, not RETARTED.

How can you know what a flush is going to be before it happens. How do you know how much water it's going to need. I use the same size casing everytime and have never gotten two first flushes that were the same. I hear everyone on here tell the newbs there is too many variables to tell them what 12 PF cakes will produce but now we can tell exactly what a bulk is going to produce so we know how much water to give it. Doesn't add up.

Who said anything about cakes? Now that technique for cakes is useless. Now for bulks, very useful. It adds completely up if you've put enough time in this hobby to be able to say the same. Data is what keeps things consistent.

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

#4634893 - 09/08/05 05:42 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Oh! My bad. I just read it again and your idea is a bit far fetched man. My explanation was in regards to future flushes. Using the watering data from the first in order to have everything straight for the next flushes. Sorry. The weed's been getting to me. :tongue:

Edited by hotnutz (09/08/05 05:43 PM)

InvisibleFungusMan
I81U812
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Everywhere
    #4634908 - 09/08/05 05:45 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

lol. You will be growin fungus in your mouth if you keep your foot in it, hahaha. :tongue2:

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Re: Watering Idea, PLEASE READ Im not retarted [Re: FungusMan]
    #4635110 - 09/08/05 06:49 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

HeHe! :rofl:

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4636908 - 09/09/05 03:34 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

hotnutz said:Who said anything about cakes? Now that technique for cakes is useless.

I dont think so, well not for invitro. If you made jars for invitro and weighed them say 500g. Then you harvest 50g, this means there was about 45g of water taken from the cake. You can now inject back in 45ml of water into the sealed jar. Sort of 1 step dunking.

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Watering Idea, PLEASE READ Im not retarted [Re: blackout]
    #4637201 - 09/09/05 08:47 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Man, ya'll are comin' down kinda harsh on this idea. 2 points
1. It's not a theory
2. It's not new

This is a pretty commonly used bit of info to give cultivators an idea of how much water they need to add. Of course you willl have lost more water than just what went with the shrooms. Of course you can't add it all at once. It's just one more piece of information to use in managing your grow. I use it. Some of the best cultivators I know use it (highroller/skillet comes to mind). Even pros use it.

Good job coming up with it on your own ShroomInduced!

And it isn't about predicting future flushes. It's just that if you had optimal moisture content in the begining, and you know you lost x grams of water in fruitbodies, then you know damn well you should add at least x grams of water to the casing before the next flush. How much more than x you should add depends on your specific situation. A manually fanned terrerium with 100% verm casings will not need as much above x as say a 100% coir casing which recieves 8 FAE's an hour. But if those are your grows, you should know that....

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Re: Watering Idea, PLEASE READ Im not retarted [Re: mycofile]
    #4637308 - 09/09/05 09:49 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I'm not saying it couldn't work by any means, but nothing a dunk wouldn't fix in the first place. I would never trust myself and weight data enought to just add the lost moisture back, hoping that the cake would just take it all in. There's a large risk in there being standing water in the jars or containers. If you're gunna go through this process, i'd bet you'd still have to remove some excess water in the first place. Why go through this process when you're still having to remove excess? You might as well dunk as usual and skip the weighing and all the jazz IMO. But! It's a good idea, but it's just easier to dunk IMO and skip the rest.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck