Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisibleknumb
skull
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: top, bottom, strange, cha...
Bush nominates Roberts as chief justice
    #4622326 - 09/05/05 12:12 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/09/05/roberts.nomination/index.html

Confirmation hearing delayed; Rehnquist funeral Wednesday

Monday, September 5, 2005; Posted: 1:24 p.m. EDT (17:24 GMT)

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Moving quickly to fill the vacancy left by Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist's death, President Bush on Monday nominated Judge John Roberts to the nation's top judicial post.

"It is fitting that a great chief justice be followed in office by a person who shared his deep reverence for the Constitution, his profound respect for the Supreme Court and his complete devotion to the cause of justice," Bush said from the White House, with the judge by his side.

"I am honored and humbled by the confidence that the president has shown in me," Roberts said. (Watch nomination and acceptance -- 3:57)

"And I'm very much aware that, if I am confirmed, I would succeed a man that I deeply respect and admire, a man who has been very kind to me for 25 years."

Roberts accepted the offer in a meeting with Bush on Monday morning, a senior administration official said. (Watch the report on how appointments change court dynamics -- 3:44)

Bush initially named Roberts to succeed Justice Sandra Day O'Connor, who is retiring.

Top Republican officials said Roberts' nomination hearings, originally set to begin Tuesday, would be delayed. It remains unclear when they will take place.

Sen. Ted Kennedy, D-Massachusetts, said the hearings must not be rushed, particularly in light of the recovery efforts on the Gulf Coast.

"In the midst of a national disaster of biblical proportions, it is difficult for the American people to participate fully in the selection of the next chief justice, one of the most important positions in our government and the chief protector of our Constitution," said Kennedy in a lengthy statement, which also raised questions about Roberts' commitment to voting rights and women's rights.

Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, R-Tennessee, issued a statement Monday saying the president "has made an excellent choice; Mr. Roberts is one of the most well qualified candidates to come before the Senate."

Since his nomination for associate justice earlier this summer, Roberts has garnered praise from many Republicans.

No Democrats have said they would reject Roberts when he was named to succeed O'Connor, but some have said they have many important questions to ask him in the confirmation hearings.

"This nomination certainly raises the stakes in making sure that the American people and the Senate know Judge Roberts' views fully before he assumes perhaps the second most powerful position in the United States," said Sen. Charles Schumer, D-New York, the ranking Democrat on the Judiciary Committee's Administrative Oversight and the Courts Subcommittee, in a written statement.

"Judge Roberts has a clear obligation to make his views known fully and completely at the hearings, and we look forward to them."

Bush called on the Senate to confirm Roberts within a month. The high court begins its new term the first Monday in October.

Rehnquist, who quietly advanced the conservative ideology of the Supreme Court under his leadership, died Saturday. He was 80.

The high court said that Rehnquist's body will lie in repose in the Supreme Court's Great Hall on Tuesday and Wednesday. His funeral will be held at 2 p.m. ET Wednesday at St. Matthew's Cathedral in Washington. He will be buried in Arlington National Cemetery.

The justice, diagnosed with thyroid cancer, had a tracheotomy and received chemotherapy and radiation as part of his treatment.

Roberts, a 1979 graduate of Harvard Law School, clerked in 1980 and 1981 for Rehnquist before the latter was elevated to chief justice.

Roberts, 50, who serves on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia, considered the most influential federal panel outside of the Supreme Court, took the bench in 2003.

He was nominated to the same court in 1992 by the president's father, President George H.W. Bush, but his nomination did not come up for a vote in the Democratic-controlled Senate before the White House changed hands in January 1993.

A longtime appellate attorney, Roberts has argued 39 cases before the Supreme Court, both in private practice and as deputy solicitor general during the elder Bush's administration.

Bush also vowed Monday to select a nominee to replace O'Connor "in a timely manner."

O'Connor has said she will stay on the court until she is replaced

--------------------
----------------------------------------
we hope that you choke

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSmallworlds
Trippin' fool -Merry Prankster

Re: Bush nominates Roberts as chief justice [Re: knumb]
    #4622341 - 09/05/05 12:17 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I knew he wouldn't appoint one of the other justices that deserve a promotion.

He'd rather appoint his own religious madman.

--------------------
Through the excercise of patience, one may learn humility..

Smoke plenty of green, and eat fungus!!!!
:peace::heart::slomo::gd_icon::gd_icon::gd_icon::slomo:

Trip Report

Invisibleknumb
skull
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: top, bottom, strange, cha...
Re: Bush nominates Roberts as chief justice [Re: Smallworlds]
    #4622378 - 09/05/05 12:26 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

i really dont feel like i know enough about the situation to form a real opinion
(though i know enough about bush to have some ideas)
does anybody know if there is a precedent for this?
when a chief justice dies is a new appointee usualy tapped to be the chief or does one of the current justices get "promoted"?
does it really matter wheather you are chief justice of the highest court in america or just one of the justices?
its not like your vote gets counted twice

k

--------------------
----------------------------------------
we hope that you choke

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #4622394 - 09/05/05 12:30 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I bet Scalia is pissed.

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

Loc: Building 7
    #4622464 - 09/05/05 12:45 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Another article I read about this said that the chief justice has more power to pick which possible cases come before the court. As such, Bush wants Roberts to be the chief, sooner rather than later.

I would imagine Roe vs. Wade will have some priority if Roberts gets approved.

--------------------
Anxiety is what you make it.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: Bush nominates Roberts as chief justice [Re: LunarEclipse]
    #4622959 - 09/05/05 02:55 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Well I'll be butt fucked and boiled in oil if Phred didn't nail this beauty straight to the wall. Fuck you Phred. I still think my idea was better strategy but you got the story right. Swami must be over the moon about this one.

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: Bush nominates Roberts as chief justice [Re: zappaisgod]
    #4622971 - 09/05/05 03:02 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I mistakenly credited Phred with prescience, I should've credited doubledog2 with early reportage

--------------------

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

#4623565 - 09/05/05 06:13 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I think the democrats are shitting in their pants right now and they don't know what to do. Its understandable though...If it was the other way around, the cons would be freaking out too.

I think everything will be ok though and everyone just needs to chill the fuck out. I don't think black people will become slaves again and women won't have to resort to pulling fetuses out with coat hangers. The SC will probably shift to the right a little but I don't think it will be a big deal when its said and done. Just because an appointment is for life does not mean they don't have to answer to the public.

Actually it kind of creeps me out that many democrats are basically claiming that the SC totally dictates every aspect of american life. I think its way overblown.

Invisibledemiu5
humans, lol
 User Gallery

Loc: the popcorn stadium Flag
Re: Bush nominates Roberts as chief justice [Re: Catalysis]
    #4623863 - 09/05/05 07:30 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

My honest opinion. Bush was delayed from getting to NO because he was having Rehnquist killed so his main man can come in here and swing things his way for the remaining 3 years. Attack at will.

--------------------
channel your inner Larry David

OfflineRogerRabbitV
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Re: Bush nominates Roberts as chief justice [Re: demiu5]
    #4623898 - 09/05/05 07:43 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Don't forget, Roberts has a full two years of experience as a federal judge under his belt now. John Paul Stevens only has thirty years of experience on the actual Supreme Court. Heaven forbid the guy who has earned the spot should get it. Let's hand it to the new kid with connections. It appears dubya learned a lot from his daddy.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineMagicalMystery
turn off yourmind

Loc: Here, there and everywher...
Re: Bush nominates Roberts as chief justice [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #4623907 - 09/05/05 07:45 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I'd prefer it the new justice isn't even a lawyer.

--------------------

"Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by the love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest."
From the Declaration of the Continental Congress

"We can have peace and security only as long as we band together to preserve that most priceless possession, our inheritance of European blood."
Charles A. Lindbergh,"Aviation, Geography, and Race", Reader's Digest, Nov. 1939

"We must secure the existance of our people and a future for White children."
David Lane

OfflineTheCow
Stranger

#4623911 - 09/05/05 07:46 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

demius said:
My honest opinion. Bush was delayed from getting to NO because he was having Rehnquist killed so his main man can come in here and swing things his way for the remaining 3 years. Attack at will.

What would I attack, your baseless speculation?

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: Bush nominates Roberts as chief justice [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #4623982 - 09/05/05 08:08 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Don't forget, Roberts has a full two years of experience as a federal judge under his belt now.  John Paul Stevens only has thirty years of experience on the actual Supreme Court.  Heaven forbid the guy who has earned the spot should get it.  Let's hand it to the new kid with connections. It appears dubya learned a lot from his daddy.
RR

You mean it should be his turn?

:rofl2:

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #4624192 - 09/06/05 12:25 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

demius said:

Rehnquist would vote the same way as Roberts.

Jump to top Pages: 1