Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineShdwstr
FSRCanada
Male

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Apology from Canada to US
    #4623788 - 09/05/05 09:16 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I have no idea who wrote this... but i though it was good!

Shdwstr

Apology from Canada to US

I'm sorry we called George Bush a moron. He is a moron, but it wasn't nice of us to point it out. If it's any consolation, the fact that he's a moron shouldn't reflect poorly on the people of America. After all it's not like you actually elected him.

I'm sorry about our softwood lumber. Just because we have more trees than you doesn't give us the right to sell you lumber that's cheaper and better than your own.

I'm sorry we beat you in Olympic hockey. In our defence, I guess our excuse would be that our team was much, much, much, much better than yours.

I'm sorry we burnt down your White House during the war of 1812. I notice you've rebuilt it! It's very nice.

I'm sorry about your beer. I know we had nothing to do with your beer, but we feel your pain.

I'm sorry about our waffling on Iraq. I mean, when you're going up against a crazed dictator, you want to have your friends by your side. I realize it took more than two years before you guys pitched in against Hitler, but that was different. Everyone knew he had weapons.

And finally, on behalf of all Canadians, I'm sorry that we're constantly apologizing for things in a passive-aggressive way, which is really a thinly veiled criticism.

I sincerely hope that you're not upset over this. We've seen what you do to countries you get upset with.

Regards,

CANADA

:cool:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleLos_Pepes
Stranger

Re: Apology from Canada to US [Re: Shdwstr]
    #4623833 - 09/05/05 09:24 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Canada is part of the coalition in Iraq. Also, Canadians are killing the Taliban in Afganistan, too.

Edited by Los_Pepes (09/05/05 09:26 PM)

InvisibleLos_Pepes
Stranger

Re: Apology from Canada to US [Re: Los_Pepes]
    #4623851 - 09/05/05 09:28 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I thought this was good.

International protests against Shariah tribunals in Ontario set for Thursday BRUCE CHEADLE
Sun Sep 4, 4:49 PM ET

OTTAWA (CP) - Protesters will take to the streets this week in cities from Amsterdam to Victoria, all because of a bureaucratic proposal that would allow Islamic law to be used in Ontario family arbitration cases.

The long-delayed decision on whether to formally include - and regulate - Shariah religious arbitration in the province has raised alarms among Canadian and European women's groups, dissidents from hardline Islamic states such as Iran, human-rights activists, writers and humanist advocates.

Almost 100 organizations have banded together under the banner of the International Campaign against Shariah Court in Canada. On Thursday, they'll march in six European cities and at least five in Canada.

Ottawa, Toronto and Waterloo, Ont., Montreal and Victoria all have protests planned, along with Amsterdam, Dusseldorf, Gutenberg, Stockholm, London and Paris.

Sohaila Sharifi, an Iranian emigrant who is organizing the protest in front of the Canadian High Commission in London, said the Ontario situation is emblematic of a global battle between secular societies and "political Islam."

"If they win this fight in Canada, there is always the possibility that they would see it as a victory that could bring them one step forward," Sharifi said in an e-mail exchange.

"They would use the same argument to establish the same religious system here in Europe and elsewhere."

The "they" in question represent an odd, informal coalition of hardline Islamic fundamentalists, mainstream Muslim groups and a former NDP attorney general from Ontario who studied the issue at length and came up with the current proposal.

But Marion Boyd's vision of provincially regulated religious arbitration - an existing 15-year-old system that would be further tightened under the mantle of Ontario family law and Canada's Charter of Rights and Freedoms - bears little resemblance to the Shariah law being debated by warring camps.

The Boyd report was prompted by a retired Muslim lawyer, who in 2003 announced he was setting up the Islamic Institute for Civil Justice to train arbitrators to use Ontario's existing arbitration act. But Syed Mumtaz Ali's view of Shariah was unabashedly fundamentalist and political.

The Ontario government ducked for cover by asking Boyd to examine the issue. It has sat on her report since last December.

In the meantime, opponents have dug in.

"The volatility of the debate has a lot to do with what people have experienced . . . in countries like Pakistan, Iran, Saudi Arabia, where there is no doubt that Islamic law - particularly these medieval rules of law - are being enforced in various ways and have the effect of discriminating against women," said Anver Emon, an American scholar in Islamic law recently hired by the University of Toronto.

But Emon said both extremes in the debate are choosing to define Islamic law as a medieval model that simply will not fit in the modern Canadian context.

"What's interesting is both of these (warring) groups have the same conception of Shariah: it's these medieval rules," he said.

"Both of them adopt the same definition and both adopt the kind of fundamentalism about the law that you find in the Wahhabi circles: that Islamic law is nothing more than this strict, really rigorous, fundamentalist, literal reading of the Qur'an, the traditions of the prophet and these medieval rules.

"My retort is, certainly the process of Shariah is a very different conception than simply the rules of Shariah."

Emon said there's an entire medieval legal theory in Islamic law "that no one seems to be talking about."

That theory, said Emon, explains Islamic law as an interpretive process in which the norms and cultures of society are constantly engaged to construct a legal system.

But try telling that to advocates such as Michele Vianes, president of the Paris-based group Regards de femmes.

In France, proponents of Shariah courts have served to isolate young Muslim girls, for instance, by insisting they must not consort with males, even in school classrooms.

Political Islam doesn't recognize secular law, Vienes said in an interview.

"For all Europeans, women particularly, we think Canada is a country where women's rights are very strong. For us, it is unbelievable that Shariah institutes are possible in Canada."

Their protests this week, she said, are aimed both at sending a clear message to their own governments and to the current attorney general of Ontario.

"We hope that all together we can make a difference, change the law in Ontario and (make) Mr. Michael Bryant change his mind."

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/cpress/20050904/ca_pr_on_na/shariah_protest_1

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

#4624013 - 09/05/05 10:30 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

I'm sorry we beat you in Olympic hockey. In our defence, I guess our excuse would be that our team was much, much, much, much better than yours

Im sorry all your best hockey players come to the US..I promise we will let you watch on TV. :p

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

#4624098 - 09/05/05 10:57 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

YEAH!

Top performing Canadian wit and humor in a desperate plea to affirm their anti-americanism to the world!

--------------------
I am in love with Acidic_Sloth

OfflineMikeOLogical
Doctor ofShroomology
 User Gallery

Loc: florida
    #4624225 - 09/06/05 02:38 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Here in florida we have no ice... but we do have a championship hockey team composed mostly of canadians...

SORRY!

--------------------
We got Nothing!
we're no longer selling jars.  :laugh:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion